At 9

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dude, Mar 3, 2006.

1. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

yup and hes to fast for a linebacker to cover and way to big for a db to have any success against so he could be that dominant tony gonzalez/antonio gates that will catch the ball even if the defense knows its going to them.

2. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Just because TE is not as big of a need as say a OT does not mean it isn't a big need. Amazing how all of sudden people are content and satisfied with Doug Jolley.

Also in the situation I gave, with the trade downs they would have 5 picks amongst the top 50. History as also shown you are better off in the long run going with the best player rather than pigeon holing yourself into a particular position.

3. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

TE is not a need at the moment, it is a luxury. I never said I was content with Jolley, but the position is the most stable on offense with Jolley, Dreesen, and possibly resigning Baker or signing Putzier.

You know what the needs are? QB, RB, FB, WR (possibly 2), C, RT, G, NT, CB. All need players for a starting postion.

Best player available is only a good strategy if most of your team is stable and you have few needs, for example Philly and Pats the past several years. When you are rebuilding and need players to start immediately, not drafting for need is beyond stupid. The Lions have drafted WRs the past three years in the first round because the were "the best player available." how is that working out for them?

4. JetD

JetD Member

Definetly D'Brick at 4.......then either DeAngelo, or White at 9..........its that freakin easy guys.

5. JetD

JetD Member

Hmmmm, and speaking of those Detroit recievers..........i just cant see this deal happening ........seems unreal to get the 9th overall for Abe and a 3rd..........too good to be true

6. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I am a supporter of taking Davis as I believe that he is a virtual lock to be a tremendous improvement over our TE. Not to mention a great safety valve for whoever our QB is(If we do take a QB this yr - imagine his frustration at having Jolley drop everything!).

Following your argument - why would we take Brick when in all reality he may never wind up being a stud LT. If he winds up being decent that would make him no better than A. Jones. Yes we need help on our OLine - But LT is not the immediate need. RT, guard, and center are what is needed.

7. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Cutler @ 9? Are you people nuts? It is realisitic he may not be there at 4 let alone 9.

8. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Because I was not impressed with Jones last year. I do not think he is a true starter but a career backup. LT protects the QB's blind side and is arguably the most important position on the O-line. If need be Jones canbe shifted back to RT, he might suck there like he did last year, but he would do less damage and be servicable for a year.

Finding a great LT to protect the QB is much more of a need than another TE. If the QB is laying on is back how will he throw the ball to your TE? I saw nothing in Jones last year that showed me he is the long term answer at LT. Brick is another story.

9. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Cutler at 4 is going to happen. Then lendale at 9. We adress the oline later on. I am starting to really want white I hope the abe trade = white

10. lightning

lightning Active Member

Yea sure, if you want to totally ignore our two most pressing needs.

11. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

Ngata over HALL any day for us! We need a widebody to protect VILMA. POUHA might be ok bit Ngata will be great!

12. Attyla

Attyla New Member

Actually, there is some thought among the Oakland faithful that Cutler would be a good fit for the team if the injury to Walter does not heal before the draft. Also, consider that Collins has to be gone with his contract and his performance.

All indicators are AJ Hawk, but were talking about Al here. There is no telling who are what he will do with the pick. I personally would love Cutler in Oaktown, but I know it will probably not happen.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think Vince Young is gonna be a Raider. If Tenn doesn't take him I think he'll be available for the raiders and can't see any way Davis would pass on him. What do you think??

14. Attyla

Attyla New Member

Well, Im in a unique position here. Im a Raider fan, who lives about 5 miles from Titan Colliseum, so I have an inside track to both positions of your question.

The general line here in TN is that Young will be drafted by the Titans. They see him as McNair only young and faster. they have no issues with the Wonderlich Test (it is the south, a teeth optional place to say the least so aptitude testing is not highly regarded), and think Young will be a second year starter after signing McNair to the one year/final year deal.

But.......

If Young falls to 7, I dont see any way that Al does not draft Young. I also do not see Al trading the pick down. He is not the kind of guy who would not take the best available player, regardless of position. But again, TN takes Young in my mind, so it becomes a non-issue.

15. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

At 4, I'd go Cutler and if he's gone, take D'Brick.

At 9, I'd go for Davis as not only would he be a tremendous reciever, he'd also be a nice blocker to have. Loads better than what we have now. I can see why people want to go RB, but I think that Davis is too good to pass up at this point and TE. If he is for whatever reason gone, go White, then Hall

16. pisano24

pisano24 Member

hmm... not bad....

17. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

if we really can get 9 from the lions for abraham we should def trade down the 4th pick... cutler is not worth getting for the 4th pick guys.. we can get a kings ransom for that pick... say a late first this year and a first next year?? this way we can pick up someone like davis with the 9th.. he is sick man... after the draft i changed my opinion of him.. having him would be unfair for opposing defenses once we get a decent QB who can see over the line... then with the other 1st we can draft lendale white.. with the 2 seconds, we should get mangold and jean-giles... then next year we should trade up to get brady quinn considering any QB we have this year will just be stop gap, pennington included..

18. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

#4: D'Brickashaw Fergerson
    #9: Vernon Davis
    #35: Nick Mangold

This will sure up out O-Line, with the best LT in the draft, and the best C in the draft, and the best TE in the draft. At the senior bowl, Vernon Davis did a great job blocking, and he is a BEAST!! I think this is the best possible drafting we could do if we get the 9th pick from detroit for Abraham and our 3rd round pick.

And get Brady Quinn with a top 10 pick next year... and have Jon Kitna on the roster to mentor him & compete with Pennington this year for the starting job

We dont have 2 second rounders, do we? jhsensation10?

#38 dwalsh, Mar 5, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

You can't run a draft based on who might come out NEXT year. Quinn will probably be the #1 pick overall, so we couldn't get him. And maybe he'll get hurt or have a bad year. Or maybe a QB steps up out of nowhere and does great for us. Planning any part of a draft for what might happen next year is ridiculous.

20. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

we get a first next year we could trade up 2 #1s for the #1 overall pick... and quinn is already use to pro style offense so he will be ready to go.. and other second is from trading down from the 4th... cutler isnt worth it at 4.. thats why i say quinn next year.. this year address RB, TE, OL in the first da.. next year can be QB, DB..