As per Peter King Scouts/coaches/Gms top 10 players in the draft as of today

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Mar 5, 2018.

1. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

• Top 10? Asked several GMs/scouts/coaches for their top 10 in the draft as of today. Here’s the consensus, in an order close to this: Barkley, USC QB Sam Darnold, North Carolina State pass-rusher Bradley Chubb, Allen, Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield, UCLA QB Josh Rosen, Notre Dame G Quenton Nelson, Alabama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Ohio State CB Denzel Ward, Georgia LB Roquan Smith

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Wow! I'm more than a little surprised that that: many GMs and scouts have Darnold as the best QB prospect, Allen ranked as the 2nd best QB prospect, and also that Rosen is viewed as the 4th best QB prospect. Even though it's anonymous, I suspect that there's a lot of smoke blowing going on.

NYJetsO12 and xxedge72x like this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I really feel like the top teams are all trying to dupe each other into taking Allen

Sam Hammer likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised at all. As someone who has suffered through several sports related concussions, and given the NFL's current PR disaster with head trauma, there is no doubt having two concussions in one season is driving his draft stock downward. Its a major red flag, more so than his perceived attitude issues.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm not too surprised. thought maybe Darnold bailing on the combine throwing and not measuring as big as some thought would drop him down, but not by much.
    Rosen is way overhyped on this board, but the red flags on his attitude and durability are going to put a lot of teams off.

grkmanga31, joe and Rockinz like this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Thing that doesn’t sit well with me regarding Rosen is that he was touted as the best passer of the group. At the combine he was inaccurate and had a really flat deep ball. In shorts he should have killed it but instead he looked like Hackenberg.... A Hackenberg with serious injury issues. I don’t put any stock into the attitude stuff but for me he didn’t pass the eye test and looked much better on the field.

7. Rockinz

I hope Mac is being “duped” then because when a guy can throw a 70 then 80 yard missile on a dime it’s truly impressive

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Im not an Allen fan but, he’s the second best QB athlete in the draft (out of top 6) and has the best arm in years. He said he likes handling the football in shit weather too — feels his grip gets better.

matt robinson 17 and zace like this.
  9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It will be the Browns! Allen is a amazing athlete, but his accuracy is an issue in live games.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Quenton Nelson should be ranked # 2 overall behind Barclay. MAYBE you could make a case for Chubb but Nelson and Chubb should be in the top 3. Allen doesn't belong in the top 20.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

People make too much of the combine both ways. Darnold is not gonna drop because he didn’t throw, that’s just silly and he remains the QB with the least questions. I’d be very surprised if he’s not the 1st QB selected, either 1st or 2nd overall with Barkley being the other top 2 pick.

12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Its all about his ability to make changes and get better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KurtTheJetsFan and GQMartin like this.
  13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

To me, throwing a flat deep ball is what you want. The less time a ball is in the air, the less chance a defender has of recovering to make a play on the ball. It might be tougher to catch, but receivers are paid well enough to make those catches. Check out Roethlisberger or E. Manning on their deep throws, very little arc, a sign of a strong arm. The ball gets to the target faster. As for accuracy, I didn't get a chance to see him throw at the combine, but throwing at the combine is a lot different than throwing in game situations. He may have other issues, but inaccuracy is not one of the complaints I've heard about Rosen.

14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Any one that thinks Nelson will be drafted at #2 over 1) any of the top 4 QB's 2) over any of the top rushers 3) over Barkley, I'm dam sure glad he's not the GM of the Jets. If Barkley is sitting on the Giants lap at #2 and they pass up to take Nelson, oooh boy what dumb, dumb move that will be be.

You don't draft a guard with the #2 overall pick in the draft let alone the 1st round, especially if you only have ONE 1st round pick. I don't give a rats ass how good he is. I go with the Bill Parcells NFL. draft ideology. If you have 3 1st rounders, then it can be considered.

KurtTheJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.
  15. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that Nelson can play 3 positions on the OL he is the best G to come out in the last 15 years.

James Hasty likes this.
  16. BomberJet

GQMartin likes this.
  17. BomberJet

Yes I'll keep that in mind, if the Jets trade down and he's there on their laps. NOT at #2 nor #6 when they can get a QB or a passrusher !!!

Also keep in mind that drafting that high up the board, you pick a player that's going to draw fannies to the seats. Drafting a guard??? Not very marketable.

18. Rockinz

I’ve never heard of someone liking the fact of a flat deep ball... Safties are to good for that now... it’s got pick 6 written all over it. Big Ben doesn’t throw a flat deep ball at all by the way. Eli doesn’t either.. just look how much air is under the crazy OBJ catch has under it. Jay Cutler has a flat deep ball for sure but the other 2 don’t at all...

I get that it only matters what you do on the field BUT when your touted as the best pure passer in the draft it should be a cake walk in shorts. Like I said Allen and Mayfield passed the eye test but Rosen unfortunately didn’t in my honest opinion. Combine that with all his injuries and I would be cautious in taking him.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

lol well i really hope Mac doesn't draft for marketability, as that would be a horrendous way to approach the draft.

Nelson at #6 would be excellent value. He will be a perennial pro bowler and will add a lot of toughness to any offense he goes to.
    If we sign Cousins, Nelson would be on my very short list at #6, along with Barkley.

20. BomberJet

Rare that Guards are taken with a a top 10 pick - Jets can't afford to take one when they need help so desperately on the DL that has been decimated over the past 3-4 years. 3 former first rounders , MO, Sheldon and Coples are out. They need a pass rusher much worse than a guard. Their OL is not that bad and if they go sign a few FA's it will improve.

What dictates who'll they pick is who they will sign first. I don't see many pass rushers in FA available to them.