As a fan; I'm relieved.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Apr 30, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Love the optimism, but I'm not sure that we are ready to win the division in 2018. If we do win the AFCE this year, that'll mean that Bowles must've grown by leaps and bounds as a HC and that Darnold was ready sooner than I expected. :cool:

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Idk about winning the division, but the goal should be playoffs.

5-11 last year but with 6 losses of 8 points or less. The young players on this team need to learn how to start winning close games.

--

when they ripped Buffalo, a playoff team, late last season on thursday night football it was a glimpse of how this team could look when the young players are gelling as a team. Aggressive, fast in your face defense. They didn't do that enough last year but there was flashes.

No more babying guys like Sharon Lee, Leonard Williams, Marcus Maye, Jamal Adams, etc.... take the kiddie gloves off and hold that defense to a higher standard. They remind me of Jacksonville's D circa 2015/2016. Lots of young talent but they weren't bringing it every week,

#22 BrowningNagle, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The guy needs to go away. The leadership stuff is overrated. If I'm a young guy I'm not listening to someone who can't win in the NFL. I want to know what Montana thought, or Drew Brees, Eli Manning. Not, McCown, only the Jets talk about him in this way. Ask the Bears and Buccaneer fans what they think of him. Success breeds success.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep. It is pretty great. Jets fans complain a lot, but they are actually witnesses to a General Manager attempting to strip down, rebuild, and create a Super Bowl caliber team. So far, so good. Unfortunately for Mac, the Jets were in such a hole that it takes a little longer than you would want to start to see the fruits of his labor, but they are getting closer.

5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I expect us to legitimately compete for the division in 2019. This year is just one year too early. Still have too many issues on the offensive side of the ball to truly challenge for the AFC East crown. I think that defensively, we are pretty much there. Our defense better be in the top 16 of the league.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Are you predicting a SB appearance? :p

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

best thing about keeping our #1 pick is that when we suck in 2018/19 (which we almost certainly will given we haven't improved the team at all really in the short term) because we are no longer one of those QB desperate teams (for the next 3-4 years at least!) we can trade back from our top 5 pick to a QB desperate team and get a load of additional draft picks

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

we will be lucky to go 6-10 again next year

Cman68 likes this.
  9. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

And when you're wrong I'll bump this just for laughs, which we'll do together. :D

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I hope we do better but I dont think we will - the over/under for the Jets with the bookies at the minute is 6 wins - Cardinals and Browns are the only teams expected to win fewer games than the Jets based on the odds as they stand - full list:

TEAM OVER/UNDER
    New England Patriots 11
    Philadelphia Eagles 10.5
    Pittsburgh Steelers 10.5
    Green Bay Packers 10
    Minnesota Vikings 10
    Los Angeles Rams 9.5
    New Orleans Saints 9.5
    Atlanta Falcons 9
    Carolina Panthers 9
    Jacksonville Jaguars 9
    Los Angeles Chargers 9
    San Francisco 49ers 9
    Dallas Cowboys 8.5
    Houston Texans 8.5
    Kansas City Chiefs 8.5
    Baltimore Ravens 8
    Detroit Lions 8
    Oakland Raiders 8
    Seattle Seahawks 8
    Tennessee Titans 8
    Cincinnati Bengals 7
    Denver Broncos 7
    Washington 7
    Buffalo Bills 6.5
    Chicago Bears 6.5
    Indianapolis Colts 6.5
    New York Giants 6.5
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6.5
    Miami Dolphins 6
    New York Jets 6
    Arizona Cardinals 5.5
    Cleveland Browns 5.5

11. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Take the over.

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I never gamble :)

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I heard on Golic and Wingo this morning that in the last 10 years only one QB drafted in the first round didn’t start a game in their rookie year - EJ Manuel. Not just played in a game, but didn’t start a game. Given that, and also the high probability of McCown not getting through the season unscathed, we probably have to expect he’ll at least be starting a game by December.

xxedge72x and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

To truly compete, we're gonna need systerr mic experience and stability
    Only if Bridgewater's knee doesn't allow him to play again this year. The lineup has to be: McCown/Bridgewater/Darnold. If McCown gets hurt AND Bridgewater's knee is butter, then we'll see Darnold/Hackenberg/QBx

15. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

cleveland.com

How DeShone Kizer is still benefiting from Josh McCown's wisdom
    Updated on Oct 08, 2017 at 01:24 PM EDT

New York Jets quarterback Josh McCown looks to throw during the second half of an NFL football game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, Sunday, Oct. 1, 2017, in East Rutherford, N.J. (AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)
    (Bill Kostro

• Kizer acknowledged that personal growth has to be done "in the quiet hours'' away from Berea, where he can evaluate himself. But he reminded folks he's doing the best he can in the situation he's in -- the league's youngest quarterback on the youngest team in the NFL.

And he can't say this -- but without a reliable receiving corps.

"When they decided to bring me in and decided to name me the starting quarterback, that whole timeline shrunk and it is what it is,'' he said.

McCown surely would've been a valuable asset to Kizer, and would've been embraced the role, even though he's starting for the Jets and playing well -- coming off two wins and ranked second in the NFL with a 70.1 completion percentage. In Cleveland, he could've started the first four or five games to give Kizer time to learn.

But the Browns cut the 38-year-old in February to save the bulk of his $3.6 million salary and to give him enough time to catch on elsewhere. The rebuilding Jets snatched him up, signing him to a one-year deal worth $6 million guaranteed.

It wasn't that Jackson felt his hands-on approach eliminated the need for a veteran mentor. On the contrary, he offered to hire McCown as a QB coach. The Browns had another veteran in Brock Osweiler, but he wasn't the right man for the job and they cut him despite his $16 million guaranteed salary.

"We kept what we felt were the best players on our team to help this football team win,'' said Jackson. "I do know that having a veteran player will help to ease it a little bit, but at the same time, you have to do what is best for the organization and team, as well. I have taken on that role, but we have some younger guys that are starting to become veteran players.

"This young man is growing. If I thought that we weren't making the improvement or not seeing things well, I'd be the first to say, 'Hey look, we have to get someone in here that has done this that can help this guy along the way.''

Coaches as mentors

Besides, he believes he and quarterbacks coach David Lee have it covered.

"I've done everything I can do. He's taken the coaching. Coach Lee has also done a good job and spent a lot of time with him. The first quarter of the season is over. There were a lot of lessons learned from him.

"He saw a lot the first four games, and he'll see a lot this weekend, too, but the game is starting to slow down for him. He's starting to really see everything very clearly. When you can do that, that is when the game really starts to really take off for you."

But as Hogan and McCown said, there's just something to be said for having an experienced guy around to amplify even the best of quarterback whisperers.

"When you have a veteran player that maybe comes in and says the same message that the coach is saying, now for whatever reason, it's grasped,'' said McCown. "Obviously it's because there's a trust in the locker room that's different from player to player.

"The veteran players can certainly have an impact in helping build the young guys and build the culture."

And in the raising of a quarterback

© 2018 Advance Ohio. All rights reserved (About Us).
      The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Ohio.

Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. Contact interactivity management.

[​IMG] Ad Choices

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

My knee-jerk reaction for this thread is to make fun of Philly Stacks for a thread title that reminds me of some of his posts, but I think I've cooled on the dude because he has taken so many chin shots over the years and taken the high road, plus I feel the same way and found myself jibing with him a bit lately.

I agree dude, this draft is like getting into the pool on a yacht with a bunch of strippers and a rail of horse tranquilizer.

Maybe those strippers are a little ugly, but that line just put me on Mars, so who gives a fuck.

Darnold is the Jets version of horse tranquilizer. It will wear off eventually, but who gives a fuck right now?

BTW, the TE from Miami is my favorite ugly stripper.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We all know how I think works around here ...Bowles will play any Vet over a rookie ,come the start of the Season, until they are ready for Soc Security , collapse in the trenches, or leave the team which ever comes first lol

It's always "next man up " for Shoddy Toddy who didn't know how to suck for Sam , needing to grab his meaningless wins and pad the record, forcing Mac to do the move up in March

The Jets need to play this kid by mid season but I can safely say that may never happen..Bowles is no Andy Reid who let Mahomes go for it the end of last Season..

Sam will be "Coached up" by our magnificent CS till he's "ready"..

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

this is like fucking poetry, man

xxedge72x likes this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I tried, but you can't be a real poet without your Young Boz.

Will you be mine? We gah git dat munny.

xxedge72x likes this.
  20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

not a chance in hell brah

xxedge72x likes this.