As a fan i have a completely different outlook on the 2017 season.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, May 12, 2017.

1. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Well now we need to debate what hell is like. Perosnally, i've been to Boston and it can get rather cold.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

The problem with "the big 3 " is there is only 2 defensive end positions . We need a linebacker

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Jets already have a pretty good defense. Everyone is down on the D because they gave up a few long TD's early in the year. Okay they did, but they didn't do that consistently. What everyone is ignoring is the 900 pound gorilla in the room,......the offense. What makes teams good is the ability of the offense to pick up the defense when it makes a mistake and vice versa. Jet defensive mistakes are magnified because the offense can't make up those lost points. You can't expect a defense to consistently shut down the opposition when the offense can't score, and worse, turns over the ball consistently. Jets are going into this season with every aspect of the offense being a question mark. If the FO was a parent and the offense a child, they would be charged with neglect. Well, if you like defensive football, you should be happy, because you'll be seeing a lot of it, just like last year.

4. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Situational football also killed us, time after time.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The team in general is bad. Jets do not have a pretty good defense or offense. The amount of pass plays given up down the field [20 or more yards] is insane. I don't know the full number, but going into November they gave up 27 pass plays 20 or more yards down the field. A lot of QBs had 100 QB rating against the Jets defense. Jets still very solid against the run, but the pass defense was very bad.

TwoHeadedMonster and Pags2112 like this.
  6. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Agreed insane and some of those were situational .. having a slight lead .. 3rd and 18 .. *BOOM* .. 25 yard first down catch or TD. It was crazy.

Edit - some to *ALOT

7. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Awesome post, and I thought both posts from Defensewins and Jedi were spot on despite the fact that they were conflicting. I feel both ways. I still have that love for the game, I am going to Buffalo Week 1 this year and I dream of it. My favorite games growing up were Jets playing in Orchard Park, and after finally getting up there for a game two years ago, I can say it is really the quintessential football experience. That is the type of stuff that keeps me coming back.

I have felt deflated with the way the league has been lately and feel that they aren't putting forth a good product mostly due to greed. Professional sports are nefarious across the board, and the NFL is no exception. Somebody needs to come in and save this game and this league, a football purist with a progressive enough mindset to address new issues like concussions, safety, etc. and the sooner Goodell is gone the better. No matter how bad it gets though, there is something ancient that always brings me back to the love of the game and the team. This team needs something to be excited about though and I hope some of what the OP talked about comes true.

8. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I've been rooting for this team for over thirty years; and in that time the lows have far outweighed the highs. The need for a franchise quarterback to boost us into the NFL's elite has never been more pronounced; but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit there watching every Sunday and hope that they lose every game on the off chance that Sam Darnold might be the next Peyton Manning. I don't know how any true fan could.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Until we find the QB we're toast.

I'd rather go 0-16 this year and have some shot at the QB than go 8-8 and have no shot at all.

I've been a fan for 47 years now and the best QB I've seen play retired 40 years ago. It's time to go find the next guy as good as him and one of the few places you can reliably find that guy is at the top of the draft (like the guy in 1965) in the right year.

It's time.

We can just flow back and forth between not good enough and bad for the next decade or we can make an investment in breaking the cycle we're stuck in and have been stuck in since Chad's second injury in 2004.

It's time.

Rockinz, westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with your assessment, but there is no guarantee that the Jets will "win" that high pick, unless of course they tank purposely, and I don't believe they'll do that. What alarms me is that they could quite possibly win 5-6 games and that would screw them out of the top 3 or 4 picks, and then Macc will likely draft someone on "D", because "They were the BPA)".

I can only hope that Hack is the real deal, but I have serious doubts.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Sounds all well and swell, but come Sunday, if I'm investing three hours of my life to watching TV I want my team to win.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't know that Adams and Maye knew each other, liked each other and wanted to play on the same team. That should lead to great communication and leadership.

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

For the first time since maybe the Parcells years I have hope that the FO & Woody may finally get it and understand what it takes to build a consistently competitive team.
    As much as I crave a SB I crave consistency more then anything.
    I want a team that comes to play every game day and makes me feel we have a chance to win...I'm tired of looking like the JV team on the field.

I'm not a fan of Bowles AT ALL but I'm trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and hope year 3 will be a better coaching year for him.
    His comments about Mo & Seldon's tardiness not being a big deal is a real hard pill for me to swallow but it is what it is at this point...he's the coach and I'll start the season with an open mind and a keen eye on our young talent , looking for signs of hope that he actually has it in him to coach up the fresh faces in the huddle.

I'm excited to see what our new offense will look like under Morton irregardless of the fact the guy under center is a HUGE question mark.
    He's a guy that comes from a great pedigree so i'm feeling pretty good about the hire.

I'm SUPER excited about the addition of Greene to the coaching staff...one thing this D needs is more production from the LB position and I think Greene is the perfect coach to light a fire under their asses and have guys flying around like a bunch of rabid dogs.

We cut a bunch of dead wood this off season...we are getting younger and faster and HOPEFULLY more talented. Mangold was a tough one to swallow but I agree that having his salary on the books would not fit with the new direction we are moving in.
    I'll be clapping till my hands are sore when his name is added to the ring of honor.

Revis makes me sick...I'm thrilled he will never wear the green & white again.
    We've all been raised with the notion that there is no "I" in team...Revis is the complete antithesis of that statement.

Kacy Rodgers...yeah I'm not even going to go there.
    I don't see what Bowles sees in this guy except being a "yes" man.

Overall I feel good about the team moving forward...we'll see how long that lasts.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes sir. That Florida Gators defense would've been down right nasty with Adams roaming their secondary. These two kids have been chomping at the bit to play alongside of one another. And while with LSU & Florida these two always marked the calendar for their H2H safety rivalry. Their friendship should really show on the field together. Two bad ass SEC Safetys reunited. I like the sound of it.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No offense meant, but I have to strongly disagree with you on this. It's ironic, but I think your attitude is a loser's mentality. You say you want to root for the team to win, but if you get your way, then the team is doomed to continue in mediocrity. We want to rebuild the team the right way, and are realistic that it might cause us to have a bad season or two, but as a result, we could possibly get our FQB, then we could have real hope of finally building a winner and having sustained success.

I don't see how any Jets fan couldn't root for us to lose this season and at least have a chance at getting that FQB. Unless or until we get that FQB, we have zero chance of ever getting to, much less winning, a SB. That's the reality of it. The odds of our getting a FQB drafting high in the draft are much greater than they would be hoping that we somehow get "lucky" one day and find our Brady in the 6th round. I will never accept mediocrity or delude myself thinking that they have a chance, when they really don't. IMO rooting to go 6-10, 7-9 or the like gets us nowhere.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Watching the Jets win 5 or 6 games next year will make me ill.

I'll hate the wins when they happen and I'll realize that we're drafting OL next year instead of QB and that we're a year further away from the QB and a real chance in the process.

2018, 2019, 2020, somewhere in here we're going to have a real fall down season and that's the year you hope a QB is in the draft for us. It's happening whether we want it too or not. Having it happen in a year when there are projected to be several franchise QB prospects in the draft is a whole lot better than having it be in a year like 2013 or 2016 when there weren't.

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Great song.

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

2017 is a bust.. and to be honest it's not a bad thing. We need a draft of epic perportions that includes a FQB and 2 more playmakers in the middle rounds. Jets need to hit a home run in the 2nd/3rd rounds for once too..

In a year where the cheaters are stacked to the tits it makes sense for us to rebuild and go all in, in 2018 with a top 3 pick, a shit ton of cap space to spend on D and 2/3 veteran players on offence for the QB to learn from.

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

This season when they win it will be great because it will be a taste of better things to come.

Our talent level is an all time low. I don't want us to loose but I'm not naive enough to think we have a chance at a 11-5 season where we are in the playoffs. If we go 6-10 or 7-9 or even 8-8 it's all still for nothing because no playoffs and a mid round pick is only 1 thing Mediocrity at its finest.

20. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

You get the sense the Jets FO don't want Sheldon Richardson on this team .( they want him gone). I think there is very good chance Sheldon Richardson is moved still in a trade before training camp.

The problem on defense is that the CB position is still weak, and you're talking about starting two rookie safety's.( going to experience some growing pains- and I hope the fans show some patience with both safety's, and understand that .