And the Jets next OC is...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 4, 2017.

?

Who will become the Jets next Offensive Coordinator?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2017.
  1. Karl Dorrell

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. John DeFilippo

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Anthony Lynn

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. Norv Turner

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  5. Mike McCoy

15 vote(s)
    25.9%
  6. Chip Kelly Green

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Other

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

It would behoove the Jets to land someone with experience calling plays in the NFL, and someone who can develop a quarterback for our team. I vote for Norv Turner.

BacktoQueens and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Why would Norv go to a team where the HC is on the hot seat and he'll probably be gone in a year anyway?

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I would like Norv here but the consensus is that he won't come to the Jets because there is no future. He probably should just take the year off and come to the jets as HC when TB is fired next year.

Please no Chip Kelly, he needs to go back to college football.

CBG and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Because they have a really good situation at quarterb- fuck

5. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

As long as it isn't Chip Kelly I could live with some of the others.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Anthony lynn will get the bills h.c. job.
    No one else will want it knowing the g.m. is on a very hot seat and could be gone next year.
    I think its McCoy, could be his fastest route to another h.c. interview
    Norv probably wants more stability since he seems to have accepted he is not an h.c.

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Didn't Norv just leave his team 3 days before a game? Is there a concerning story there?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Because he can make that seat cool. Norv would help diagnose the Jets quarterback situation as we head into the draft. Perhaps Deashaun Watson could be our Russell Wilson/Dak Prescott. Money helps too.

BacktoQueens and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nix my McCoy post

Norv is the Man

Had Vikes rolling before his issue with Zimmer

Will convince TB only way to save jobs is thru him

boozer32 likes this.
  10. Red Menace

It was in week 6 or 7, there was no real explanation for it from what i understand.

He probably saw the writing on the wall for the Vikings and knew the outcome of that teams shortcomings and probably wanted no part of it.

Big Cat likes this.
  11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Darksider theory

Bowles hires Mike McCoy.

Hackenberg and McCoy work great together but the defense doesn't improve and Bowles is canned, McCoy is promoted to Head Coach similar to what just happened in Tampa between Lovie Smith, Dirk Koetter and Jameis Winston.

McCoy then hires a proven defensive mastermind to run the defense and his name is Wade Phillips. Phillips joins the staff in 2018 to coach up some of the young studs.

JetLifeLo, macbk, gajetsfan and 12 others like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Chip Kelly. He can bring in Kap, and I can watch the forum's collective heads explode.

13. Red Menace

[​IMG]

Mogriffjr and BacktoQueens like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't understand the fascination with Norv Turner. He would be my last choice in that list

#14 BrowningNagle, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

short of Bill O'brien becoming available, I'm hoping for Norv.

not sure why Norv would want to take on this situation though....

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It's certainly a question that needs answering..
    it was odd.

17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If I were college coordinator or recently fired HC, I would look for a coordinator job with a HC on the hot seat because I'd probably be getting a HC interview in a year.

NCJetsfan, iJet, hwismer and 3 others like this.
  18. Red Menace

Mike Zimmer ended up losing his best resource on offense, look at what happened to that team.

Tuner knows how to implement a balanced offense and he knows player development, that's why I would like him as jets OC.

Norv Turner had a good reason for leaving the Vikings so abruptly
    The timing stinks, but in the end, the Vikings will be better off for it.
    He told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune: "... it just got to the point where I didn't think it was going to work with me. So I removed myself."

Turner and head coach Mike Zimmer disagreed on the best way to run the offense, according to Albert Breer of The MMQB. It wasn't a huge rift, but they couldn't come to terms on the margins of it, the details of the offensive system that needed to be changed in order to better protect the quarterback, get the running game going again, and score more than 20 points a game.

"We had a lot of challenges," Turner told Breer. "And for a period of time, we were able to hide some problems we had, but it catches up to you. And then we just had a difference of opinion—or what I felt was a difference of opinion—on what we needed to do to give our guys the best chance to fix it."

Turner reiterated that point in an interview with the Los Angeles Times.

On the surface, it looks like Turner handled this in a reasonable, sane way. You could make the case that it's better for the Vikings that he leaves now to than to let the disagreement fester and turn ugly. On the other hand, why couldn't he just adapt and stick it out through the end of the season?

At the time, Turner said he hadn't made a decision on whether or not he'd coach again -- he's only 64. Since then, he's made it clear that he would like to continue under the right circumstances.

"I just enjoy it too much," Turner told ESPN. "I really enjoy teaching the players."

And what are the right circumstances? He wants to coach a team where he has the chance to mold a young quarterback.

Where exactly would that be? Los Angeles invested a ton of draft capital in Jared Goff, and his career's already off to a slow start. If the Rams opt to keep Jeff Fisher, you have to wonder if he could he bring in Turner and let him run the offense however he wants. Or, if Fisher gets fired, maybe the prospect of Turner as head coach could force the Rams to give him a look.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't really care about him leaving the Vikings, except for the fact that he is lying about it, he left because they brought in Shurmur and Norv wanted to pass the torch to his son Scott, instead and he saw the writing on the wall.
    -

but really though I think he would be a horrible choice to bring in here for a couple reasons. First I don't think his offense is good anymore, the guy has done the same thing since 1991, the league is onto him. He hasn't had a top 15 scoring offense in like 6 years and before that he only had one because he inherited a stacked San Diego team that he ruined offensively.

But the biggest reason of all I don't want him is because its a horrible fit schematically!!!!!

He might be the league's current, lasting grandfather of the Coryell system and this offense could not be more diametrically opposed in terms of personnel for that system. In order for Turner's (Coryell's) system to work you need 4 key ingredients:
    1) A big WR to stretch the field (okay, maybe we have that)
    2) Good Offensive line (NOPE)
    3) ability to run a power running game (NOPE)
    4) a very good pass catching TE (uhhh whats a tight end???!?!?)

Turner also doesn't adjust much to existing personnel, he's a big system guy - - his system. So he'd come in here, confuse the hell out of the players with his complex system, get our QBs killed with his offense that asks a lot out of the offensive line, throw 15 passes a game to Brandon Bostick, and we'd be a terrible football team because of all that. They would fire Bowles because of that lack of success and be looking at a new HC/OC combo after the year!!!

alleycat9 likes this.
  20. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Turner milked a lucrative career out of 2 seasons with the Cowboys. What has he done since
    1993?
    To get the right guy you have to be determined:

[​IMG]

Ron

#20 RonPi, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017