AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Mr Electric, May 11, 2010.

1. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I totally believe it was a coincidence -- plus the stories are so different from that point on.

I find it strange that there is very little comparison to the end of "Resident Evil" (2002), where Alice wakes up from a coma in a hospital to find a post zombie apocalyptic ruined city. Although it was a disappointing movie, nobody said anything about it being ripped off, even though it predates both 28 Days and The Walking Dead.

Oh well.

#101 Scruggy, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Im going to move away from Boardwalk Empire and watch this show more than that one.

BE got a a little slow for me

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

"Walking Dead" a Monster Smash

AMC's The Walking Dead premiere ratings are enormous: The 90-minute Halloween night debut delivered 5.3 million viewers and a 3.3 adults 18-49 rating.

That's the largest demo audience for any series premiere on any cable network this year.

It's also the highest numbers for any series in AMC's history, and beat most non-sports programs on broadcast Sunday night.

The critically acclaimed zombie drama was by no means a sure-fire ratings victory. Industry insiders wondered whether female viewers would be drawn to the gory and apocalyptic subject matter. But mounting buzz on the show ever since its trailed debuted at Comic-Con made Walking Dead a must-see among genre fans.

“It’s a good day to be dead. We are so proud of this series, its depth of storytelling and the remarkable talent attached,” said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president. “As the network dedicated to bringing viewers the best stories on television, we are so pleased to have the opportunity with The Walking Dead to raise the bar within this popular genre and continue our commitment to being the home of premium television on basic cable.”

“The Walking Dead is that rare piece of programming that works on so many levels. It is legitimately great storytelling that is not only highly entertaining, but incredibly thought provoking as well. People who are familiar with the comic books know what's coming, but suffice it to say, this is only the beginning of a long, intense, and powerful ride. Long live The Walking Dead,” said Joel Stillerman, AMC’s SVP of original programming, production and digital content.

An aside: I've seen through episode three and if you liked the premiere you're going to love the next two hours.

Unless Walking Dead suffers an enormous ratings drop off in the coming weeks, a second season order is very likely. These numbers are well above the bar set by Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/zombie-tastic-walking-dead-ratings-34098

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I thought it was great. I had no idea it was based on a comic; did it follow the comic identically or did they simply take the core ideas and run with it?

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I think it was a strict adaptation of the comic...However, in the comic they knew about zombies and thats what they called them. The show has them calling walkers.

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I'm not sure about that, I don't remember the word zombie coming up in the comics until much later, if at all.

7. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

This is the show I've been waiting for all my life. I couldn't seem to get my wife to watch it, though. That's the great thing about having a flat screen in the bedroom.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I think I remember the survivors calling the walking dead: "walkers" and "roamers" in the comics.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I never read the comics, but I post on a comic book forum and they were saying it there about how one of the characters in the books had a line like "should we call them zombies?"

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I just looked up what I was talking about earlier. The dead are called "lurkers" and "roamers".

There's a specific reason for calling them those names, and I'm sure it will be explained later in the show.

11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I could have sworn this was explained.

Lurkers- Lay in wait....(2 on the bus in Atlanta)

Roamers- Walking/looking for food. (The people in the town)

12. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Just got done watching. That was majorly excellent. I loved that it had such a serious tone. Shaun of the Dead (and to a lesser extent Zombieland) was a great movie, but as a dark comedy it would not be sustainable as a series. I also like that it took the time to develop characters.

I had heard that the source material is strong and it seems to be in good hands with Darabont. I am REALLY exited about this show. The last pilot I've seen that was that strong was, dare I say....LOST. Good writing, strong characters, iconic imagery....awesome.

As for women not liking it, my wife's reaction was one word: "Great!"

Can't wait for more.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I expect some of the fans who have thing for the vampires will watch this show too

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Morgan did explain that, didn't he?

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Lol I think so....... There are so many fucktards in the Jets forum making my head explode that I can't honestly remember....

16. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

You guys are gonna love this series, trust me. I've read all the graphic novels and the storyline really takes a turn from the standard, zombie holocaust formula. Some of the characters are really cool too.

The first episode was very true to the comics and I can't wait until next Sunday night.

17. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Heard it was awesome. Anyone got a stream?

18. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I remember when this thread first popped up, but forgot about the show until my dad told me yesterday about how fantastic the first episode was. I was hoping AMC would have their shows online, but I'll just have to figure out another time it's airing (or get a stream).

19. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I never ready this comic before, and now I feel like I've missed out. At least now I got the series. Great f'ing show.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I have read the graphic novels so I already knew the plot and outcome but seeing it on TV was unreal. This show is going to be great.