AMC's Fear The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Waterboy, Aug 24, 2015.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Haven't watched tonight's episode yet. I'm still watching the show out of morbid curiosity, but I am recording that Heroes Reborn later this week and I may need to make a tough decision. I've only allotted a certain amount of room in my life for Suck. The Jets usually occupy most of it.

2. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

I haven't watched the latest episode yet, but thanks for giving me something to look forward to. :)
    Nick need that smug know-it-all look eaten off his face.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

You forgot the nearly pristine getaway car in the midst of a riot in which all other cars depicted in the shot are on fire or flipped.

Also #3 is more aligned with this character's deconstruction and ultimate metamorphosis into a new person -- I don't want to say a "Rick-like" transformation but it seems this way.

Although, the blonde girlfriend seems to be better poised to go the Rick route.

4. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Damn, I did forget about the truck. I had noticed that too and meant to put it in my post, but completely forgot by the time I started writing. Nice catch because that was a big one. Glad you remembered it.

I wish real life worked like FTWD apparently works: "To all IRL nameless characters- please do not vandalize my car. I am a MAIN CHARACTER IRL and my script clearly says my car stereo should never be stolen and by paint job should not be keyed. Thank you to all you IRL extras!"

I can see what you're saying about #3 and it is a valid point. To be fair, the series writers have the difficult task of trying to find plausible ways of showing how people cope with catastrophe. My issue is the utter inane and insane denial some of them are in. Of course, that would happen with some people, right? So I suppose this is more a pet peeve than a series fault. In any event, you make a good point.

Last night my wife and I were discussing how they might have dealt with this series better. Obviously doing another story around a policeman would seemed like a cheap rip off, like a Rick Grimes does California or something like that. But the series is really struggling because of the chosen perspective. If we are going to take a bird's eye view to a soceity's collapse then it seems to me someone in a better position to see this should be at the center of the story. What about someone in government? Doesn't need to be federal either--state or municipal would be perfect would seeing how society is trying to cope with this outbreak and fails. Another idea was the military. And yet another idea was someone in the medical profession. Those seemed like the best three options to me. Also, the story could easily have hooked into the (SPOILER) CDC from TWD and the issues the other cast ran into there. I dunno, what do you folks think?

#64 Aewhistory, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  5. Aewhistory

In retrospect, I think I should've put a spoiler warning on my little tongue-in-cheek review but you're very welcome. That part was awesome and you'll appreciate it even more after some other stuff that happens in the episode. Methinks most peeps will be cheering for Madison not to stop the beating, but I won't say any more. :D

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think the problem with the show is we are right in the thick of things on The Walking Dead right now. We have watched 5 seasons, and it is intense.

To rewind, before any of the the walkers are even there, and move to completely new characters is tough. I have been really bored watching, but keep giving it a shot. Now, I see there are only TWO episode left to wrap up Season 1? Not sure how it can redeem itself that quick. Looks like a bust.

Aewhistory likes this.
  7. mute

mute Well-Known Member

wait only 2 episodes left?! If thats the case they shouldnt of bothered in the first place.

8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

It's the first season only. That's very common practice with new shows to see if they're worth picking up for longer seasons.

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

And also how The Walking Dead is done now, less episodes each season but 2 seasons a year, 8 episodes in the fall and 8 episodes in the spring.

10. abyzmul

I had a similar thought, that although a cop would be a Rick rip-off, although my idea was a National Guardsman who gets thrust front and center into the details that explain what is happening instead of the ham-fisted way they are doing it in this show.

11. Aewhistory

I figured I'd resurrect this thread after watching FTWD the other night. I promised myself I would watch into season two and that is what I am gonna do, but it is tough going. I think the original series conception is just wrong and it will be nearly impossible to save without a lot of character deaths and essentially starting over. Then again it isn't like there isn't a precedent for killing off characters in TWD.... :)

Once again I was annoyed about the Dad and his gun issues. Now I think it is important to point out here that this is coming from someone who is damn near as anti-NRA as they come. But there is a difference, a BIG friggin difference, between how one copes with the laws of their society and what you do when society itself unravels. In this case it is almost as if this dude has no self-preservation instinct. I get that pulling the trigger the first time would be hard for many people, but it isn't as if he hasn't seen how destructive these "sick" people can be.

I have another, MAJOR, issue with this gun scene: why in the world would you use a .50 cal sniper rifle in that situation!? More importantly, why would you give that the monster rifle to someone who'd never shot a weapon before?! It is not an understatement to say that he could seriously hurt himself with the recoil because he wouldn't know a damn thing about how to hold it, etc. Not to mention that it is WAY overkill for killing a zombie a few hundred yards away. This is a gun that can hit a human target from a mile in the hands of an experienced shooter and it is a basically a cannon to boot. What sort of Hollywood BS was that?

This leads me to what I think is the gist of the series. It seems they are intent on showing things like what happens to us when we are faced with threats. I think they will show how fear (hence the name) causes us to have our humane and civilizational values to erode. In principal this is a fantastic premise, but as abyzmul put it, they are going about this in a pretty ham-fisted way that makes it much less enjoyable.

One last thing: I really hate the way the military, or specifically the officer in charge of the local garrison, is portrayed. Not saying it could never happen, but a nation fighting for its existence would at least TRY to harness the general population by bringing people together in a common purpose. This is what we did in WWII to spectacular success. In this show they portray the govt as doing everything it can to divide, misinform, and hamstring the population's ability to resist the zombies while treating said population like trash. While we can debate the merits of govt all day long, this is an implausible response for a nation under siege. Whether a democracy, monarchy, or even the fascists/Nazis, all govts have done something similar when under threat: they try to rally to population by pointing out said threat (or they CREATE a threat) to unite the population under their control. The approach shown in FTWD is straight out of Hollywood with little basis in reality that I can think of....

BTW, a NatGuardsman is a brilliant idea! It combines the best of all worlds: it would've allowed a really easy way to show the civilian/family aspect of things, but at the same time you'd get to see the government response and have a front row seat to the apocalypse (normally that's a bad thing, right?). The characters almost write themselves. You'd have a NatGuard officer, but a lower ranking officer like Captain. Include his/her family. Also, the otheir soldiers under command as well as local officials, etc.

Hey 'byz, wanna write a show with me? ;)

#71 Aewhistory, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

My biggest issue with that episode and the prior episode was how over the top dooshy they portray the military guys in charge. Like caricatures of army a-holes.

I think the issue with the 50 cal sniper rifle is they would use that for long distance kills but the guy challenging him knew he was never going to pull the trigger and was just trying to make a point. That what they were doing was really hard and the dad shouldn't judge.

_

13. JStokes

I think this episode saved the season.

Pretty good finale, can't say I like many of the characters but the action and the story certainly pocked up.

Not sure who this Strand guy is but I like him.

Brutal ending.

_

NY Jets68 likes this.
  14. Aewhistory

So how did everyone like the season end? Everyone?

(crickets.....)

:)

PS- the wrong person got bit..... that's all I'm gonna say.

15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I thought Strand looks like Cro....no?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. JStokes

You have me on ignore for no reason but yes, I saw it and liked it a lot.

And yes, the wrong person out of about a dozen got bit.

_

17. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Strand is by far my favorite character in this show so far, and it's not even close.

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too. Ruben Blades' turned out okay too. But yeah, Strand finally adds some intrigue and interest, for me.

Alicia is some decent eye candy too

FJF likes this.
  19. abyzmul

Just watched it. Wasn't a terrible finale, thankfully the two most interesting characters in the show weren't bitten so it has that going for it.

I just saw your previous post but it's a monster, I'll have to digest it tomorrow before I reply.

20. abyzmul

Yup, that's the two.