Allen Vs Mayfield at the 3 pick - what the film shows

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 26, 2018.

?

If Rosen and Darnold are gone, who would you pick with the 3rd pick?

1. Mayfield

63.2%
  2. Allen

36.8%
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

OK, so we can rule out 2 and 3 then? I mean I don't like Allen all that much, between Mayfield and Allen its a bad pick IMO. Shouldn't have traded up.

Robby still our #1 right now

But at least you posted more then a sentence of actual information ya know

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

very well said. exactly what i seen as well. Allen also spent most games running for his life because of a shit o-line and still turning it into some stupidly good plays.

3. 101GangGreen101

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  4. abc

abc Well-Known Member

#2- Georgia's "D" DID NOT take him out of the game the HC changed the game plan.... and they still almost won, only their "D" let them down.

5. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Mayfield isn't even going to be considered, it will be Allen or Rosen to Jets at #3

6. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Learn to comprehend.. "headache" Does NOT Equate to a "Concussion." He also said the headache went away within 10 min's & he could have gone back to play but had to sit out because of the protocol procedures.

7. abc

abc Well-Known Member

that's why our GM & HC HAVE to go... 1 Can't judge talent & the other Can't coach it up.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is the ball coming out of Mayfield's hand. At this point the receiver has no idea where the ball is going to be. Yet he's already moving to the outside. You're telling me he's going to change direction and make it to the middle of the endzone if Mayfield throws it there? He isn't Antonio Brown.
    [​IMG]
    I think the play was supposed to be a jump ball because the receiver is taller than the DB, he's in single coverage, and Mayfield releases the ball early in the route. Anyway, if you're right and Mayfield was supposed to throw it to the middle of the endzone, that's an egregious miss. Which is enough for me to give Mayfield the benefit of the doubt that that wasn't his intention.

abc likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

Roquan Smith made him his bitch. Just watch 7:30 and on

10. 101GangGreen101

Lol, look at you scratching for anything. How sad. Tell me again how you were at the game, Mr. Head Doctor? Mayfield maybe a tough SOB, but he's had concussions end of story.

11. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Great post!!! Watching Geno Smith's game film from WV, I knew he was going to be a BUST, short jet sweeps that
    WRs took for big gains, Spread Offenses don't translate to Pro game...

12. GasedAndConfused

this is a standard "seam route" in the NFL The ball needs to be lobbed over the head of the defender and fall into the receivers hands in the endzone where there are no defenders behind them. mayfield throws the ball way outside and high to boot forcing the receiver to adjust. as someone linked 80% of mayfields throws were into "open windows" aka wide open targets like this. in the NFL you don't get many "open window" throws and they are often having to squeeze throws into tight windows. in the NFL that play there is likely picked off.

This is how the play should look from an NFL QB with 1 of the best duos's demonstrating it
    [​IMG]
    there is the break point, notice how the windows are much smaller. brady throwing the pass like baker did, would not result in a TD.

[​IMG]
    here you see the ball lobbed over the head to the back of the end zone. brady is throwing to a "spot" not to the WR that's how NFL QBs need to throw the ball, something mayfield has not shown the ability to do. gronk has a step, nobody is in the back of the end zone, the throw has to be perfect
    [​IMG]
    with 2 NFL defenders around him, gronk is able to catch the ball in the back of the end zone in stride. the ball is perfectly placed and the play perfectly executed.

That's the difference between an NFL QB, and a college QB who can't succeed in the NFL. plays like this and throws like this

13. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I didn't see Anything there that showed Mayfield was his "bitch"... what I did see was Mayfield shrugging him off @ the 8:30 mark.

14. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

All the QBs in this draft have some bust potential, but Mayfield and Allen are especially risky.

I also dont buy the love from PFF on Mayfield. Analytics works in NFL where the competiton is pretty equal, but not in CFB.

The PAC 12 and Big 12 play a totally different brand of football than the Mountain West.

15. abc

abc Well-Known Member

yawn.. I see reading comp isn't your forte.

16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah... I believe (pretty strongly) that's it in a nutshell. Absolutely no way the Jets traded all those picks to move up and take Mayfield who they could have just stayed put and taken for "free" if they were comfortable with doing that. At #3 Mayfield simply isn't even a consideration.

Does that mean he can't overcome the odds and be a great NFL QB? No. But he's just not in the same tier prospect-wise as the other three guys. I'm no expert but I'm pretty suspicious he's going to have a rough go in the NFL. And I hope he makes it because I kind of like his cocky swagger and it'd be a fun story to watch.... just not on the Jets. He's also got a pretty passionate fan base if this board is any indication. That's cool too.

17. 101GangGreen101

That Georgia defense took Mayfield out of the game in the 2nd. I think I heard maybe 3+ sacks, Sooners tried to get cute too and it just didn't work out.

18. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Also nice work on the film breakdown SGB. That must have taken awhile and you put a lot of thought into it.

19. GasedAndConfused

any player in the draft has bust potential, but the higher you take them, the bigger it hurts a franchise, especially at the QB position. If i was going to rate potential to be a bust from the top 4 mayfield is easily the highest. I'd say he has a great chance to be a bust 95%. nothing he has shown, gives any indication he can be an NFL starter. Allen is probably a 50/50 chance and rosen/darnold have the lowest possibility of being a bust.

20. GasedAndConfused

thanks!