Allen Vs Mayfield at the 3 pick - what the film shows

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 26, 2018.

?

If Rosen and Darnold are gone, who would you pick with the 3rd pick?

1. Mayfield

63.2%
  2. Allen

36.8%
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

1. Mayfield has a quick release and despite SGB's overly negative analysis usually delivers the ball on target.
    2. He can make plays with his legs even though he's pass-first and keeps his eyes downfield.
    3. He's super competitive and really earned his college teammates' respect.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

You're acting like these statements are facts. They aren't, they're your opinions. NFL.com's analysis directly contradicts multiple things you said in this post. They give an accurate picture of Mayfield, whereas yours is clearly biased against him. (Also FWIW Mayfield isn't my favorite QB.)

STRENGTHS
    Tough and competitive. Plays with fiery demeanor and massive chip on his shoulder. Teammates rally around him on and off field. In complete command of his offense and has improved with each season. Light on his feet with quick setup in pocket. Has good pre-snap plan. Eyeballs and eliminates safeties to isolate man coverage on his receiver. Quick processor from read to read. Responds suddenly to what is there. Pitch and catch accurate if you allow it. Underrated arm talent. Expedite from off-platform with tight release and zip. Drives with lower body for added velocity. Accurate on all three levels. Completed 53 percent of his throws of 21-plus yards over last two years. Drops touch throws over top of linebackers trailing in coverage. Has improv talent. Uses mobility to buy time to make plays. Effective when he breaks contain and will probe for explosive play. Completed 67 percent when on the move. Rises to the occasion. Posted elite production and efficiency as passer in the red-zone.

WEAKNESSES
    Falls short of size marks for traditional early-round quarterback. Short with drop-down release makes him more susceptible to batted passes. Benefited from spread scheme that created huge passing windows to throw to. Will see increased importance on post-snap reads. Needs to improve full-field scanning. Can be thrown off rhythm by delayed blitz packages and disguised coverages. Footwork is erratic. Creeps up in pocket towards pressure. Ball placement wanes when he tries to gun it. Deep balls hang on him. Can't afford any delay in deep release to beat safety over the top. Needs to eliminate his back foot throws. Desire to make plays will lead to unnecessary sacks. Has to prove he can reign in and control on-field edge and cockiness.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1) the film is what it is, it's not overly negative. It's not even critism. It's breaking down each throw.
    2) not in the NFL, he may buy time,, but he isn't ripping off big runs in the NFL. the only QB in this draft who can do that is jackson
    3) being competitive is not enough to hack it in the NFL

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Pass Completion Percentage Career Leaders and Records
    1 Colt Brennan* 70.39 2005 2007 Hawaii
    2 Colt McCoy* 70.33 2006 2009 Texas
    3 Kellen Moore* 69.78 2008 2011 Boise State
    4 Graham Harrell* 69.77 2005 2008 Texas Tech
    5 Brandon Weeden* 69.54 2008 2011 Oklahoma State
    6 Case Keenum* 69.36 2007 2011 Houston
    7 Chase Holbrook 69.35 2006 2008 New Mexico State
    8 Seth Doege* 69.00 2009 2012 Texas Tech
    9 Johnny Manziel* 68.95 2012 2013 Texas A&M
    10 Brandon Doughty* 68.61 2011 2015 Western Kentucky
    11 Baker Mayfield* 68.54 2013 2017 Oklahoma
    Teddy Bridgewater* 68.39 2011 2013 Louisville
    13 Luke Falk* 68.31 2014 2017 Washington State
    14 Bruce Gradkowski* 68.21 2002 2005 Toledo
    15 David Fales* 68.12 2012 2013 San Jose State
    16 Doug Gaynor 68.06 1984 1985 Long Beach State
    17 Chase Daniel* 67.99 2005 2008 Missouri
    18 Sam Bradford* 67.64 2007 2009 Oklahoma
    19 Cody Kessler* 67.49 2012 2015 USC
    20 Greg Ward Jr.* 67.45 2013 2016 Houston
    21 Brett Hundley* 67.45 2012 2014 UCLA
    22 Geno Smith* 67.44 2009 2012 West Virginia
    Deshaun Watson* 67.44 2014 2016 Clemson
    24 Tim Couch 67.15 1996 1998 Kentucky
    25 Robert Griffin III* 67.11 2008 2011 Baylor

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

1. The film is what it is, your evaluation of it is not.
    2. Never said he'll rip off big runs in the NFL, but he can buy time to make throws.
    3. Neither is having a strong arm.

abc likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

#3 is the same for a lot of the QBs in this draft. Some say Rosen, but that's debatable. Not for Darnold and def not Jackson. They are super competitive and leaders in the locker room. Jackson, people love him.

#2 he didn't do that against a better defense in Georgia (check the 2nd half); a superior defense like Georgia effectively took him out of the game. I have never seen Rosen, or Jackson get removed from the game. Lamar plays 1 on 11 against Clemson; still cant take him out of the game.

#1 He does have a very quick release, and short to medium he's pretty good, don't like him deep and I don't like the pairing of him and Robby Anderson at all.

7. GasedAndConfused

I removed all the things i didn't cover since i only focused on the throws

Strengths
    he is going by completion percentage. as i show in the film even though he completed 100% of the passes from the video obviously, only 4 out of 12 were good throws and one of the good one's was under 10 yards

Weaknesses
    as the clips show, he was often throwing to wide open targets. not going to happen in the NFL

exactly what i said. passes float on him and he's often behind the target

again exactly what I said/shown in the film

So if you really break down the analysis i posted, it pretty much agrees on his issue with lack of arm talent, but gives him the added benefits of "intangibles" and also gives him more cons then i listed as they weren't related to throws he was making like taking unwanted sacks

8. GasedAndConfused

1) prove it, take my examples above and show me where it's wrong? why are no recievers catching a ball in stride. why is every receiver having to adjust and make highlight reel catches on routine plays? why is allen and rosen not showing the same issues?
    2) so can all the QBs we are talking about.
    3) I never said it did

9. HomeoftheJets

#3 is still a positive trait even if other QBs have it.

Maybe not Rosen or Jackson but I've definitely seen Allen get removed from the game.

In no way is Robby Anderson the guy I want to make this decision on.

Anyway I posted 3 statements about Mayfield in response to your request to post something constructive. But now this whole thing is going to keep going in circles if we let it.

blackssmagic likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

exactly. a huge list of busts.

11. HomeoftheJets

Some of those throws look fine to me, I think you're nitpicking them. Also it's telling that you picked 1 strength and 3 weaknesses to address. And didn't mention the part of how you said Mayfield can't drop passes in the bucket when NFL.com said, "Drops touch throws over top of linebackers trailing in coverage."
    1. I can't prove anything and neither can you. The whole concept of proving an opinion is pointless.
    2. Doesn't mean it isn't valid.
    3. And I never said competitiveness did either. Which was my point.

12. GasedAndConfused

it's not nitpicking them. it's what NFL QBs have to do. He can't make the throws he needs to make and you are purposely ignoring that for whatever reason. as far as the throws over LBers, nothing on the film shows that at all, also "over LBers" implies short throws up the seam or to RBs on wheel routes, nothing about doing it deep downfield over safties and CBs, somehting NFL QBs have to do. The reason you only see 1 strength, is none of them listed are pertinent to making actual throws which is what i was looking at, which in itself is a huge red flag

1) yes you can. there are tons of video's I have screenshots as well. tell me what is wrong with it?

13. HomeoftheJets

You are nitpicking them. For example, the 2nd throw in the clip was perfect. He put it where only his receiver could catch it. Put it a little less outside and it could get broken up or worse.

This isn't pertinent to making throws? "Eyeballs and eliminates safeties to isolate man coverage on his receiver." This isn't either? "Expedite from off-platform with tight release and zip."

14. GasedAndConfused

the 2nd pic the WR has a step on the DB, the throw should be high and leading him aka a "drop in the bucket throw" he throws it way outside instead of dropping it in front of the Wr like you should, and the WR has to turn around and jump outside to make the play.
    [​IMG]
    there was nobody behind the WR to contest the throw, this was a typical seam route that should have been dropped into the back of the end zone over all the coverage. the WR has to stop and make a big adjustment on a poorly thrown ball

Far from perfect, and not nitpciky. investing a 3rd overall pick that you gave up 4 picks to get, plus paying out 6mil a year for 5 years is a big commitment. you expect a player like that to make these basic throws. That's what film study is you think GMs look at film and think "good enough i suppose it was caught and all"

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. abc

abc Well-Known Member

why??? I don't need too... my response IS Sufficient.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Pretty much this. I looked at the stats and was down on Allen initially. But watching the tape completely changed my mind. I have watched 5 full games of Allen on youtube, and it is clear that he is accurate and throws well timed passes. His 56% completion % comes from him throwing downfield significantly more than his peers and having subpar teammates (particularly the o-line and running game).

I was initially OK with drafting Mayfield, and then upon watching his tape I'm now against drafting him. It's screen pass, screen pass, play-action 1-read pass to wide open receiver, screen pass, screen pass, play-action 1-read pass to wide open receiver... etc etc. You don't see things that translate to the NFL whereas you consistently see throws that translate to the NFL for Allen. Give me Allen at #3, although like I said before, Allen's probably going earlier than 3.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

how about those concussions? that's why your responses aren't sufficient, you haven't been bringing facts here bruh

18. abc

abc Well-Known Member

19. abc

abc Well-Known Member

bruh???? what are you 5???

20. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

I mean, I guess it's sufficient, but it comes off as uninformed since you provide no proof for your claims. You can simply provide a link to youtube/article and that would work.

101GangGreen101 likes this.