Allen Vs Mayfield at the 3 pick - what the film shows

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 26, 2018.

?

If Rosen and Darnold are gone, who would you pick with the 3rd pick?

1. Mayfield

63.2%
  2. Allen

36.8%
  1. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

Allen has better size, if that means anything, see Hack.
    Allen has the stronger arm.
    Both are not terribly accurate, I would say AVG for Mayfield and below average for Allen.
    Allen had a poor supporting cast(OL,WR etc), but also played AGAINST poor quality of players in his conference. HUGE step up in competition for him.
    Mayfield certainly played against tougher defensive teams.
    Mayfield has more off the field issues.
    Conclusion, neither of them have my endorsement as the Jets franchise QB.
    If the Jets within the next month can determine Teddy is full go for offseason workouts, I don't draft either of those guys at 3.
    If Darnold and Rosen are gone... I go Barkley. Roll the dice with Teddy this year and with the improvements made to the team in the offseason we could be looking at 7-9 without Barkley and maybe 9-7(playoffs?) with Barkley.
    If Teddy fails this year and Jets struggle... there are 5 STUDS on DL, that we really currently are DESPERATE for talent... will be taken early in 2019 draft. And with that, the QB hunt would continue.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It will continue with no end in sight.

3. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Mayfield IS by FAR THE BETTER Prospect... & It's NOT Even close.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

care to specify what "everything else" is. Mayfield can't even make NFL passes, even if he's the 2nd coming of tebow as far as intangibles go, he doens't show the ability an NFL QB needs to succeed. Guys like mayfield are a dime a dozen talentwise, intangibles don't win superbowls. Guys like Allen are few and far between. all i'm doing is breaking down their throws not the rest of the stuff. i said as much in the opening post. I spent a long time making it, so you can at least read it before acting like a raving fanboy. Mayfield doens't look like an NFL QB on film. period.

5. GasedAndConfused

the reading defenses thing is hard to gauge from this kind of post since many of the plays were pretty simple 1 read options. this was more about their actual passes and accuracy to which i agree, mayfeild struggles with accuracy over 10 yards and struggles to make throws to the middle of the field most likely due to his lack of height. He also doesn't anticipate well, often throwing behind WRs which will magnify the issue at NFL speed

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think Mayfield has a chance to be a good NFL QB, but in regards to #3 overall, I feel the Jets don't want him. They traded up specifically knowing they could get Darnold, Rosen, or Allen. Just the feeling I have.

It's also common sense. Those are the 3 names we have heard for over a year. The third best of those 3 was Allen, who had a great Senior Bowl, Combine, and Pro Day. If anything, he could go higher than #3, not lower.

Again, I get the Mayfield fans on this board and in general, I just don't think he is a realistic option.

7. GasedAndConfused

The film breakdown shows otherwise. mayfield struggles with routine throws and anything over 10 yards. poor ball placement. alot of his completions would have been picks or batted down in the NFL. he also leaves WRs high and dry for big hits

8. GasedAndConfused

The film shows otherwise. Allen is very accurate especially deep in his ball placement where mayfield isn't. I think the word you are looking for is incosistent. Allen whiffs on throws at times, but that's all footwork and not accuracy, and his footwork was looking much better in his pro day.

SettlerDawg likes this.
  9. abc

abc Well-Known Member

No he hasn't...

10. abc

abc Well-Known Member

you have ZERO idea of what you're talking about.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

So you are saying the pics i have annotated and frozen are lies or photoshopped? where is your post showing breakdowns? Clearly you didn't read the OP, you just came in here to voice your opinion without even looking at the film I broke down

SettlerDawg likes this.
  12. abc

abc Well-Known Member

we obviously see things differently... I don't see Mayfield "struggling" at all with accuracy... but I do see it as an issue with allen.

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

then why is every pass having the receiver stopping, jumping up, reaching back, and taking big hits despite being fully wide open most of the time. There is only 1 thing to see, and you have provided 0 proof of what you "see" as being legit, meanwhile i broke down 10-15 plays form a highlight reel showing exactly the accuracy issues anyone can see. you think accuracy is a completion % and it's not

jonnyd likes this.
  15. abc

abc Well-Known Member

uhh Wrong... you cherry picked a couple of snippets of each... 1 good, the other not so good... I could the same thing w/Brady... bottom line Mayfield IS a WINNER & allen IS NOT.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Do you how many times I've heard these same arguments before? About how the guy who consistently plays well is nothing special, but the guy with the measurables is awesome even though he can't seem to put it together. Also Brady begs to differ about intangibles not winning Super Bowls.

blackssmagic, NCJetsfan and abc like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

I didn't cheery pick anything. I took recent highlight films which are supposed to be just the, the best plays from a player, and started at the beginning. So your argument is he is a winner? that's the opposite of what you were saying before.You know who else got drafted in the 1st round for being a winner with great intangibles? Tim Tebow. You are just making yourself look bad denying what's been broken down and pointed out and using poor "logic" to defend poor throws

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I like Mayfield better than Allen because he consistently makes good throws. But his win-loss record doesn't matter.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

Brady was a fluke. he also throws some of the bets passes you'll ever see. Picture perfect mechanics, insanely high football IQ, tirelessly getting better and better. guys like him are extremely rare. Baker can't even make routine throws that an NFL QB needs to. I'm not saying allen is perfect by any means, but the 1 thing you really can never compensate for is lack of talent, and mayfield just doens't have the talent. His film showing is extremely poor

20. GasedAndConfused

i took the 1st 15 or so from a highlight reel and only 3-4 were actually good throws.

Breakdown of the post

12 total throws from a highlight reel (hand picked)
    most went for TDs. all 12 were completions (100%)

4 good throws
    8 bad throws