All this Cut Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PenningtonTOMoss, Feb 19, 2006.

1. PenningtonTOMoss

PenningtonTOMoss New Member

I dont understand it...

IF its a money thing you have a case.. BUT NOT A FOOTBALL CASE

There are only 14 GOOD NFL Quality Star QUARTERBACKS on PLANET EARTH So unless one of them slips through the cracks of impossiblity and decided that he wants to QB a franchise that took a major turn in the wrong direction last year.... took a quality yet unproven step with the coaching decision.... but overall known as a FRANCHISE with bad karma.... we NEED to stick with the best possible QB we can have. and Right now Pennington is that guy. he is around the 20-25's with QB ability on planet earth.. soooo stickwith him.... Health is an issue and it will always be an issue with this guy however its an issue with anyone that plays football.. When healthy (cant expect a guy to be injured for 7 years straight) karma or not.... He is a quality Starting QB with ABILITY AND POTENTIAL. Cant give up on a quarterback that can throw a good pass and win. Who do you want to get.. give me this great realistic QB to take over for next year and add to the competitivness
    Ramsy? NOT an improvment.. Cutler? wasnt that impressive in College.. he was good but not on any big time level or quality. SDiego QB's... Neither going anywhere, ONE hasent PROVED A DAMN thing in the NFL the other just coming off an injury himself.

NOT great options out there...
    YES I would take YOUNG... maybe Leinart... since we are not a NOW team
    but this is the NFL.. you can go from horrible to competitive to winners in a short time with good managment (ha) schedule and players steping up

KEEP PENNY. why? why not.

2. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Well, it is a money thing. If he was still playing on his rookie contract, or if he was making a lot less than he currently is, he would remain on the team.

3. PenningtonTOMoss

He's already Restructured. Personally i said TO "you sign'd the contract now play for it" and cant have a differing opinion with Pennington. So its a money thing.. how bout a football thing.. if we are not IMPROVING At the QB position.. what kind of money/football "THING" is it... not an intelligent one.

4. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

He didn't restructure. With the cap situation being as bad as it is, it's all about being a money thing. Bottom line is, he cannot be kept at his current price. I'm sure some of it has to do with him being 30 this year coming off two major injuries to his throwing shoulder.

5. PenningtonTOMoss

are you sure he didnt ALREADY re do his deal a year or so back????? the injuries alright accepted. the age? the JETS MGMT is bad.. but they can count.. they knew how old he'd be as his contract kept moving... thats not even old.. please give me your next option or two?

6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

So since you are saying there are only "apparently" 14 good starting QB's we should just give up?

No...we will draft a QB of the future and we will be back in a few years. Nothing wrong with rebuilding people!

7. PenningtonTOMoss

are we giving up if we keep Chad Pennington who has ability to win in the NFL and draft players we actually need to build this team around?

8. PennyandtheJets

Well theres your problem...about 90-95% of this entire board thinks Chad Pennington is done...

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

He didn't change his contract. He offered to give back $2M to get Coles, but he never did any structural changing of his contract. His age factors in with the injuries. 30 years old is fine with a shoulder that's 100%. But not when you have completely torn it up on TWO seperate occasions.

The plan will be to draft a QB to groom to be the QB of the future, and it looks like at this early stage it might be Cutler. Some may really like Cutler, and some may not want anything to do with him, and some want to give Chad another chance. But the bottom line is, Chad will likely be cut because his contract is an albatross on this salary cap for the next 5-6 years. If he's cut, we take the dead cash for one year and then move on.

10. PenningtonTOMoss

do you think he's done? does chad? does NYJ MGMT?

thanks for the PENNY restruc. clarification.. now tell me ya alternative better situation solution

11. PennyandtheJets

Cut Chad now and Draft players for the future...we need to grab a new QB as well. I prefer we grab a franchise QB this draft with the 4th pick that way we can build around that QB from here on out...

12. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Sounds good. It's good that, the year we're going to begin the rebuilding, is the same year we're going to have a lot of picks, and it's a very strong draft.

13. PennyandtheJets

Agreed. After addressing QB and some olineman IMO the draft for the Jets is wide open after that...we can grab a RB with some talent...maybe a Brian Calhoun or Maurice Drew? I need to start looking up the RB's because I think there are some decent second tier Runners...

14. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I like Joseph Addai, but I have no idea if he is a 2nd or 3rd round guy right now.

15. PennyandtheJets

I think he could go in either round...it will probably depend heavily on his scouting combine performance.

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

This is the last time I'm going to say this. Chad is as indefinite as ever until we have a definitive answer on IF and WHEN he can play at or close to his former self. From where I'm sitting, nobody knows that. With a new regime coming in, the job is Chad's to lose. If he's up to that. If, if, if. Next year is going to be a wash in many respects anyway, so what's the difference? I'm perfectly happy in our first season under new blood to see how it all plays out. Cap, schmap, what everyone seems to forget is that when Chad was on the field, the Jets were winning more times than not. He threw injured in the SD PO game and made it happen when it counted, we didn't lose because of Chad vs. Spittsburgh. The guy's done when he steps on the podium and says, "I cannot play any longer. I am not physically capable." Maybe that's skewed loyalty on my part, but who is to say there's no logic at all to what I'm saying.

Besides...
    [​IMG]

=

[​IMG]
    ...and that should count for something. Hehehe.

#16 jetophile, Feb 19, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  17. PennyandtheJets

Chad only had like a 25-16 record as a starter...thats not too impressive really.

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The Big Dance is all that matters. Ask Namath - or Peyton Manning.

19. PennyandtheJets

ooook, but my point was you said that when Chad was in the Jets were winning more times then not...I didn't say anything about winning the big game.

I was saying you are wrong about Chad winning most of his games...he only had a 25-16 record.

20. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Peyton has more playoff wins than Chad, sorry to burst your bubble--and this is from a known Manning hater. Chad had an impressive outing against the Colts, but that's pretty much it. He didn't show up in another two games, and we only won the Chargers game because of Marty ball, not because Chad won the game by himself. It was a good game though, and I was happy with Chad's performance. Let's not make him out to be more than he is though. He hasn't won the big game, he's never even been to the AFC Championship game.

Chad has basically been a glorified backup. He doesn't actually win games for you. He had one good 10 game stretch and that's pretty much it. If you take away those games, he's a pretty mediocre QB. His career record against teams above .500 isn't great, I'm certain of it, since I've seen battered around by the Steelers and Patriots and pretty much any other decent team the past few years. I guess that's a good microcosm for the Jets under Herm. But we're cutting ties with that old era and aspiring to actually be a threat. Chad has to go. Thumbs down.