Adopting a Dog

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Okay

The Muslim hating bigot Petro will ban me soon. Before he does that, please help me out.

I won't be able to answer you but I will be indebted to you forever. My boys want a dog. I will do it. They are 9.5 year old twin boys and it is time for me to get them a dog. My questions are below. Please help. Even though the bigot Republican will ban me, I will still be able to read.

1) How hard is it to lose a dog? I am an emotional bastard and I will cry a lot if I lose my dog. How hard is it compared to losing mom and dad. I lost both my mom and dad.

2) Is it easy to adopt a puppy who has no training? I got a ver big back yard. I won't be in USA for a long time and my wife is working. Is it logical to buy a dog?

3) What size dog should I buy if my backyard is slightly less than 1 acre? Please advise a kid friendly dog that doesn't require a big space.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I would get a dog your wife and kids can handle. That pretty much rules out huge breeds. I would also get a dog with a good disposition too. You don't want a 4 legged time bomb in your home so make sure you get the history of the dog you choose. If you want just a good dog, go with a mix breed. Lots to consider as you must already know your boys won't be the ones doing the heavy lifting and if you're gonna be travelling, its all on wifey. Do yourself a favor and get a low maintenance dog. Not too big, not too small, definitely not vicious.

Brook! likes this.
  3. Brook!

Thanks Grandpa.

I will miss you, jaywanyne, CBG, fla, Stokes and abyzmul. Love ya. Bye.

Guys, Please help. Write as much as you can so I can decide properly.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

anytime man... How long you gone for?

5. Brook!

Grandpa. Not going anywhere. I will always login to TGG as it is the only family I got. I got no ties to Turkey or Kurdistan anymore. Sad. But TGG is my family but too bad TGG is owned by a Muslim hating guy like Petro and dentists like Dierking are roaming free. Too bad, I am a savage and I was introduced to plumping after I moved to USA.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Can't help you, my next pup is a Comfort retriever we're buying from a breeder in Kentucky.

It's kind of hard to "lose" a dog.

Steer clear of Labs--great dogs but super hyper.

_

Brook! likes this.
  7. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Definitely don't want a "time bomb", remote is the way to go... but you knew that.

Labs are great dogs, very friendly lovable, but need lots of exercise.
    Go to the pound, lots of good used dogs there that need a home.

Cman68 and Brook! like this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Dogs are good but wouldn't your boys like 70 virgins instead?

9. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

You should just go to the shelter with your kids and let them pick out one. Don't get a beagle though they are bad for digging under fences and roaming around. It has something to do with their hunting instinct.

You should get 2 dogs preferably siblings so that your boys aren't fighting over getting the new dogs attention and the two dogs can play outside together when your gone. Also helps with them keeping warm in the winter.

10. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Owned several pound pups in my days. When you are at the pound bring the whole family, they should let you take the dogs out on a leash and then in a small fenced in area were you can unleash it and see its disposition. Most of the time used dogs come pre trained, sometimes not though. The first dog I adopted was a german shepherd mix. She was sweet, pre trained and great with kids. It sounds funny but you will know the dog you are suppose to take when you get there. If you go and cannot find one that fits your family, don't take any of them, you will end up regretting it in the long run.

Losing a dog sucks, no two ways around it, but its nothing close to losing a parent or a sibling.

11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

What am I? Chopped liver?

12. matt robinson 17

My beagle died after 11 years, my son was 2 when I got her, he cried for 2 days when she died...nice dogs except for the barking and always hunting for food

13. matt robinson 17

I have a Retreiver/Chow mix now, 100 lbs of retard

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Mine died after 2 years when she dug under the fence and got hit on the highway.

15. matt robinson 17

Sorry to hear that

TNJet likes this.
  16. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

I had a basset hound growing up, big surprise there ;) We got him when I was in 5th grade. Great dog, loyal to a fault. He got old pretty fast though, they sleep a ton, not very active. That nose gets them into a lot of trouble...always picking up scents and tend to eat their own shit (or whatever they can find...whole pizzas, whatevers in the trash can, basically anything)...which is disgusting. My brother came up with a jingle for IAMS dog food, "taste so good...they eat it twice."

I have 2 brothers, and we were always rough housing and playing stupid games growing up. In the winter, we use to push an empty sled down a hill; our dog would chase it and then us, and all the neighborhood kids; would run off into the woods and hide. He would always find us. Should have known when we bought him that he was going to be a lot of work though, and that we probably weren't the best match. The lady told us not to pet the mother dog and the father was out hunting or something. My dog bit a lot of people and a lot of other dogs.

They put him down when I was in the Marines. I think he was 11 years old. He attacked the cleaning lady...that was the last straw. The vet said that the dogs vision was going and hearing was going and the cleaning lady probably surprised him when she entered the house. He was good to us, and I loved him a lot...but he could be a mother fucker too. Alpha male dog.

My folks have a mix now, definitely part Rottweiler and its a female. The dog is the most gentle thing in the world. I think female dogs are much easier to train and take care of. If I ever get a dog again it will be a female. This new dog is already 11 years old (probably live another 10 years), total opposite from the basset. I kind of want my own rottie. People think they are dangerous, but they are very cool dogs.

Asalem a lakem mother fucker ;)

#16 JetsVilma28, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    TNJet likes this.
  17. matt robinson 17

So that is you in the picture...:)

TNJet and JetsVilma28 like this.
  18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Ive rescued two pits over the last few years. There is no better breed in my opinion and they are plentiful at all rescue places. GREAT family dog, wonderful with kids. They have a good mix of being active and wanting to chill on the couch with you. I cant even imagine what ill be like when they die......but that's the way it goes

FJF and KWJetsFan like this.
  19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

friend of mine had a pit bull and it was the nicest dog you ever met. he would lick you to death. then one day it snapped and attacked his 1 year old kid. luckily the mother was there to kick the dog until it got off the kid. she's fine now other than the scars on her face and being scared of dogs. it could have been a lot worse

I'd never get one.

Bellows1 likes this.
  20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Some friendly advice ya bomb-throwning zealout: pity parties shouldn't involve flamming the admin. It's their house so I'd suggest you keep your feet off the furniture.

Put it this way: consider getting a hotdog, the noblest of all dogs: it feeds the hand that bites it.

JetsVilma28 likes this.