Adam Gase New HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Jan 9, 2019.

?

Do you approve Gase signing?

1. Yes

22.3%
  2. No

45.8%
  3. Too early to tell

31.9%
  1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I was at the 1983 draft. You can see the top of my head when everybody is screaming in pain (I should have stood up but I was so freaking pissed).

I have to be honest though: I didn't want the Jets to draft a QB that year. I thought we were OK coming of the AFC CG with Todd but if we WERE going to draft one, the only name mentioned was Marino (Elway was too but we knew we weren't moving up like in 1980; that was the hope).

Not sure who I wanted if we didn't draft a QB that year. Still kinda surprised Joe Walton took O'Brien. I think that was the beginning of the end for his relationship with Todd from what Todd told me years ago.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think "the hitch" has become a thing of the past. Not that it's ideal, but I think there have been enough QBs without that perfect throwing motion to have a lot of success that it's less of a worry. I mean if there's a hitch in Sam's throw and he's making some of those plays on the run that we saw the last few weeks... hitch away!

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Coaching was pretty crappy for most of the rookie QB's outside of Jackson.
    I'd argue Ariz had more offensive talent than both Buffalo and the Jets though, yet Allen and Darnold were still able to show their upside and improved as the year went on.
    Mayfield showcased in Cleveland, where no one succeeds, even as the OC and HC were fired.

So I'm not buying on the Rosen excuses. It was a level playing field in terms of bad situations, again with the exception of Jackson in Balt.

4. The component of athleticism in a QB as dictated by actual evaluation sheets is made up of the following quadrants: QAB(Quickness/agility/balance)/Flexibility/Change of direction/explosion N speed/ Pocket mobility(Avoiding the rush)

Watching the 2 play...NFL or college for that matter...other than Speed/explosion which frankly is only being based on combine numbers what aspect does Trubisky have a edge over Darnold? If you need help just watch the 2 operating outside the pocket & not just swan dive to the sidelines or to the sticks,either. If you think Trubisky wins more than 1 of these quadrants I dont know what to tell ya...b.c it's not even close.

Maybe he's more quick than Sam...but not more agile or better balance.Flexibility;COD;Pocket Mobility?? These are all the skills that make up Sam's creativity & Spacial awareness outside of the pocket.

Darnold made significantly more NFL throws in college than Trubisky. His accuracy to all parts of the field as well as his anticipatory skills are superior. Trubisky made his name by having plus movement on drop backs,being able to make al the throws & some good balls down the seam w. anticipation.

#1684 KurtTheJetsFan, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2019
    FJF likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

The hitch concerned me less with Darnold than the way he protected the football in college.
    I was a little worried he'd be fumbling a lot in the NFL, sort of like Sanchez in that regard.

Gotta give him credit though, he changed that up and stayed consistent (probably against his instinct) by holding the ball with 2 hands in the pocket.
    Fumbling wasn't a big issue in his rookie year, which is a great sign.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, not to interrupt this QB discussion thread in the middle of the Gase Hiring thread, but has anyone noticed that Sean Peyton is being linked to the Cowboys? Which if true of course would mean that he could've been available to the Jets. Which also means that competent due diligence would've tipped the Jets to this possibility. Who would you rather have, Peyon or Gase?

egelband, NYJetsO12 and JetsKickAss like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's true. He does have the most natural throwing motion and best fundamentals. He was in a pro-style system for 3 years at UCLA so he does have a leg up on the others anyway. Some of it though, of course is God given. 10 years ago he would've been the slam dunk no doubt 1st overall pick of the group and he would be the most successful in a classic WCO.

The game has kinda changed a little and Rosen is a little stiff in today's game. I'm not sure he has the abilities to beat teams outside the numbers consistently either. They need guys who can do damage after the catch to help him

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Darnold only had one fumble all year from the pocket (week 17) with all the other fumbles being center exchanges. Which is pretty amazing. His fumbling in college seemed to be mainly from trying to make a play under duress. It was very nice too see. His pocket presence and spatial awareness is amazing and the biggest reason he is likely to succeed. Manning and Brady are not athletic as Darnold but they share the same ability to feel pressure and step up or move sideways a foot to avoid the rush while keeping their eyes down field. That is what makes Darnold so special.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

The "clock in his head" is one of the best i've ever seen from a rookie

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Peyton has ties to Dallas and worked for Jerry Jones on Parcells staff. He also has a home in Dallas. What makes you think we could have hired Peyton under any circumstances?

egelband and JetsKickAss like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Did we try?

egelband likes this.
  12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Interesting they hired Kingsbury. I don't see Rosen pure pocket throwing as a particular plus in Kingsbury's system.

13. BrowningNagle

I dont either. i think it is going to be a disaster in Arizona

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Is that similar to having a 'cabinet reshuffle?

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We got Marty Feldman. He was great in Young Frankenstein.

16. I think he'll emphasize rythym, Getting rid of the ball quickly & trying to keep pass rushes off balance w. the running game,Screens & hitches.

Rosen is at his best when he's decisive, in rythym & has a clean windshield;True of all QB's but esp true of Rosen. He's frighteningly stiff & indecisive outside the pocket. He'll need for fortress in front him to be successful. And bare in mind I was a Rosen guy heading into this last draft.

egelband and Cidusii like this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Rosen isn't the QB in Arizona next year. Kingsbury likes Kyler Murray...

egelband and BacktoQueens like this.
  18. BacktoQueens

It's already a disaster in Ariz.
    I predicted before the draft that Rosen will get a lot of coaches fired before the team ultimately moves on.
    One down in just one year, and Kliff is now on the clock.

He cannot extend plays or improvise at all, and is just a statue in the pocket. bad combo.
    I don't believe he has the character or personality to inspire a team either.

But just enough talent to keep ownership assigning blame on to coaches for now...
    I wonder if they'll give him a third coach, or call it quits after Kliff.

egelband and jilozzo like this.
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They need OL and a TE. They have neither. They do have a quality back and a nice young receiver if he can recover from a broken foot. The OL is a hot mess. The Jets OL by comparison was great. That's how bad it was.

Both teams have a lot of cap and could be competing for a lot of the same players. Big draft for both SK and Mac. One or both could be gone based on what they each do with cap space and high draft picks in each round. Very similar problems.

Fitzgerald has committed to play next year. I'm not sure that's a plus longterm.

I think the Jets did much better with the Head coach and staff. KK is a huge reach to run the show and coaching by committee seems nuts to me.

Jets81 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Rosen didn't get any coach fired. Before they fired their OC and benched Sam Bradford, who was healthy they scored a total of 20 points in 3 games. Rosen took over an O in complete disarray that was handed to him with an OC who had never called plays or been an OC at any level in his life. Patrick Peterson asked to be traded because of the coaching staff.

The coaching staff absolutely deserved to be fired along with the GM. The GM was retained and has now hired the entire coaching staff under KK. The Cards have done the ultimate hail mary of coaching hires. What the Jets did is brilliant and responsible by comparison.

I was actually surprised at how tough Rosen was. For a guy that was considered injury prone, he never complained and took an enormous beating got up and did his job. He was put in a terrible spot and actually got a lot of respect from his teammates. I think Fitz coming back says a lot about Rosen.