Abe Gets Tagged (MERGED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by baamf, Feb 21, 2006.

1. baamf

baamf Active Member

Sorry, I didn't understand the question. The team that signs him would give us their first round pick this year and next year. Not gonna happen....

2. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

who has 2 first round picks? im confused

3. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

That's right. Keep repeating it, though, because it will take several laps through this thread for people to understand that.

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Is this the party to whom I am speaking?

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I suspect so.

6. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

OK... we will not now nor will we ever get 2 first round picks for JAbe. Not gonna happen

If we do, it will be the biggest hiest since the Luftanza hiest... so don't bet on it.

It is concievable to get one first rounder for him though, but from who, your guess is as good as mine.

Ellis

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Don't be too sure!

8. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

I'm sick of the way these athletes bitch about making 8.3 million dollars in one year. Most of us won't ever make that much in our entire lifetimes, let alone in a single 4 or 5 month season... man, get real -- seriously.

9. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

We're going to have to on 3/3. No trade is going to be completed by then (it can't, it's against NFL rules) and you need to be under the cap before you can make the deal.

10. O'Brien7

O'Brien7 New Member

Big difference is he's coming off of a injury-free season. Lasy year he missed the last 6 games including the play-offs.

11. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Exactly, he actually improved his value last yr.

12. IneedJesus

IneedJesus New Member

For all you people who want to trade Abraham can I ask why????

He makes plays on the field. He is our best d-lineman by far. There will be no way that we will be able to replace him.

Remember how Santana Moss did with the Skins. Times that by twenty to how this trade will come back to bite us in the butt.

We cant trade Abe we wont get equal value in return. He is one of our best players.

Pass rushers are extremely hard to find and they make your secondary way way better than they are, (see Chicago).

If we trade Abraham I will loose faith in the new managment on there ability to manage young talent. You guys ripped Bradway for letting Jordan, Moss, and Kareem get away and no you have no problem with letting Abe get away? Thats hypocrisy at its finest right there.

13. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I would love to keep Abe, but I think hes done with New York because they won't give him the long term contract

14. AlToon

AlToon Member

Denver #22 and #29

15. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

We don't have the money to pay him. Its as simple as that.

16. lightning

lightning Active Member

The only one that i think can MAYBE happen would be to KC for the 20

17. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Someone said it already, but I can't find it to quote it. BUT I agree with whoever it was: what is best about the tag and the cuts is that the Jets are being decisive and proactive. Just going about their business, no dilly-dallying, no waffling, no halfway measures. I like it.

18. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

First off, this report is WRONG. Abraham was tagged as an EXCLUSIVE rights FA last year, which means he CAN"T be given the TRANSITIONAL tag THIS year. He is NOT free to negotiate with any team other than the Jets, and therefore won't cost an aquiring team two first round picks.

Now, why did they announce the tag so early? I believe they did it to get Abraham to lower his silly contract demands (18 mil signing bounus) so the Jets can try to trade him before the cap enforcement deadline of March 3. They are hoping Abraham blinks. I don't think the Jets can get his 8.3 mil price tag under the cap by March 3.

19. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

No trades can go down before 3/3. It's not legal to do so. Trading can't occur until the FA period begins.

According to reports, he was not tagged an Exclusive rights FA this year, but reports this early are never right.

20. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

While no trades can happen, Abraham and his agent could begin contract negotiations with an interested team before then, with permission by the Jets FO.

SD wanted to apply the Transitional tag on Brees this year, but found out they could not after having tagged him with the Exclusive rights tag last year.... so, based on that fact, I declare this report to be incorrect as it relates to Abraham.

If Abraham were able to get a deal done with an interested team, the Jets could lift the tag, which they would do anyway in a trade scenario.