6th Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsfanHBca, Mar 25, 2017.

?

As Jets the GM who do you take at 6? Other than Garret anyone could fall

1. J Adams SS/DB

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. J Allen DE/DT or S.Thomas DE (Sorry limited slots & neither a position of need)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. R Foster ILB

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. L Fournette RB

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. M. Hooker FS

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. OJ Howard TE (Alabama Juice)

20 vote(s)
    26.0%
  7. M Lattimore CB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. QB (List below who)

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  9. Trade Back (List below how far & what you would exspect to get

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  10. Other Player (List below who)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JACKSONVILLE JET

Dude are you a Patriot fan or something, have you watched Mahomes? He sucks! He cant throw into tight windows, his foot work is garbage and he just throws them up! Drafting him at 6 would set this franchise back more years then drafting Vernon Gholston. You remember him right, also the 6th pick in the draft. Now you want to see them do it again. Go back to Foxboro...

BomberJet likes this.
  2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Damn figured me out that easily huh? Great job, I'm a Patriots fan spending all my time hoping for Jets to select a QB.

I don't remember Vernon Gholston, can you tell me all about him? And what he has to do with Patrick Mahomes III?

3. Brandon Moore's Butt

Brandon Moore's Butt Active Member

I doubt this will be a very popular idea, and the offense-or-bust crowd need not reply.

But I was playing with the first pick draft game last night and ended up with Jamal Adams in the first, and Buddha Baker in the second. We have lots of other needs, and this would be overkill undoubtedly, but DAMN I feel like those two growing together on the back end of our defense would be fun as hell to watch. Thoughts?

Edit: Not saying this is what I think we should do, just struck me as an interesting scenario I hadn't seen posited.

#103 Brandon Moore's Butt, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  4. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it would be great fun to watch them, our pass D would take a quantum leap forward, and I think we'd be set at S for the next 10 years.

6. Brandon Moore's Butt

Both guys are also of a very high character from what I've read, and are head-over-heels in love with the game. That's the kind of people I want to see us rebuilding with.

The more I think about it, the less crazy it seems...

7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Well, they better be fun to watch, because you'll be watching them a lot if they keep neglecting the offense.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Brandon Moore's Butt

Haha, I knew this was coming.

And on one hand, I agree with you. Offense has inarguably been neglected way too long. But we have needs all over, and will probably suck next year regardless. I want a star out of the 6 pick to help jumpstart this rebuild more than I want to force an offensive pick just to finally break the cycle. If there's a guy that can satisfy both, sign me up. I want the best on the board, short of DL.

In a perfect world the BPA would be a QB or LT, but that doesn't seem to be the case and unfortunately for us most of the top talent this year plays defense.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

To answer your question: My thought is that I don't care who you have on "D", if you can't score points, you're not going to win much. And there are a number of other players not named Adams or Baker who can improve the secondary and be drafted in the middle rounds.

Turn-about is fair play: What would you think if they took Fournette at 6, and Mahomes with their 2nd pick? Two of the most naturally freakish athletes in this draft.

westiedog1 and boozer32 like this.
  10. Brandon Moore's Butt

Like I said, I'm by no means married to this double safety idea. I realize there's a lot of ways to go and was just throwing an idea out there I hadn't seen elsewhere.

You're right, the offense needs help. I want that too. But if the brain trust thinks the highest return for their pick investment would come in the form of a defensive player I'd still prefer they go that route. Whether or not that's the case is up for debate. I'm not voting for neglecting the offense, I'm voting for getting the best guy we can. I'm still trying to figure out who I think that might be.

Well I don't totally hate the idea, depending on what's available, but both guys scare the hell out of me personally. Of course, if both worked out they'd be transformative for the franchise, so I see why you're into it.

Turn-about is fair play: there are a lot of other players not named Fournette or Mahomes who can improve offense and be drafted in the middle rounds

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Neither are you So what is your point? Or is it more pointless I got nothing but I got to say something.

12. boozer32

I like the Miami TE David Njoku better. Not much of an inline blocker but more of a Vernon Davis type.

13. boozer32

Both Petty and Hackenberg are inaccurate. Expecting Petty a 3rd year player, Hackenberg basically a rookie and Howard a real rookie to have symmetry is a lot of risky parts to your offense. Like you said there are no safe picks but our offense is in transistion and not in a good way. Fournette is the best safe pick.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. boozer32

I like both. We get possibly a Jets QB for a few years and more draft picks to help the team.

15. boozer32

Hey 101 Ganggreen
    Hey I apologize for my smart aleck post before. I'm a little too old to do that and its not respectful. Chalk it up to April Madness (AKA draft season).

16. ColoradoContrails

Maybe improve, but not be transformational. And isn't that what they need, transformation? From the losing, SOJ, franchise, to a winning one? I'm not satisfied with a slightly better than mediocre, sneak-into-the-playoffs, team...I want the whole enchilada. I realize they're not going to get there overnight, but they need to be bold and take some chances, and to finally give some thought to the idea that you need to score points to win.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Tell me we get any of Jamal Adams, Leonard Fournette, Malik Hooker, Marshon Lattimore or OJ Howard I'll be excited. Some names I mentioned are riskier than others and some are more likely to be available than others. Should be tough for Maccagnan to fuck things up this year. Top 10 is a gold mine. Good shot at getting a starter in the 2nd this year a round we've consistently been embarrassing ourselves in over the years.
    Dream combos inclue: Leonard Fournette and T.J Watt, Jamal Adams and Alvin Kamara, OJ Howard and Tre'Davious White.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While Njoku is undoubtedly a great prospect, and the best of the TEs that are pure receivers, imo he is not the kind of TE the Jets need. He's one-dimensional, a receiver only. That makes the offense more predictable. The Jets need a two-way TE, not only to make the offense less predictable, but since the OL is questionable, to help with pass protection and the rushing attack.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I didn't catch it hahah, but all its all fun n games dude.

btw go UNC :)

boozer32 likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

I took a step back to reconsider how to approach this draft.

The first question is: What is their timetable for becoming a SB contender? If they're shooting to make the playoffs next year, that's one thing; if in three years, that's another.

Based on their cutting of vets, etc., I'm going to assume a 3 year plan. On that basis, I might not take Fournette because as great as I think he'll be, he's going to likely be almost half way through with his career by the time they get to the playoffs again. It makes taking someone like Howard on "O" more attractive due to his likely longer shelf life. They could also consider a "D" guy, but I would propose taking Mahomes because he has the highest ceiling, and while he might not be the "savior" this year or next, he would likely be that guy in 3 years, meanwhile, learning OTJ and making mistakes and getting them out of his system. Even raw, he's better than the three QBs the Jets currently have, so starting him now and getting his NFL education rolling right away could be tolerated. In addition, the Jets need - FINALLY! - to establish their identity, and the best way to do that is with the QB they choose to be the face of their franchise. The last time the Jets won a championship they did it with a brash gunslinger, and won the hearts of many fans who still root for them today, so to me, Mahomes is the natural successor to that image. The Jets will never "out-Giants" the Giants, so they need to offer an alternative, and being a team that takes chances, and uses a wide open style play is the way to do that.

The "Defense All The Time, Every Time" crowd will no doubt object. And while I agree that building the "D" is important, and while it might even allow them to become "just good enough" to sneak into the playoffs, it will actually set them back because they'll get worse draft picks, and less able to get their FQB which is necessary for them to become championship contenders.

And those who argue for focusing on building the OL first before getting your QB, I would say that if this draft had a LT who would become a franchise-level LT, and other great OL pieces, I could maybe see taking that approach, but those guys aren't in this draft.

If Macc drafts a QB at 6, he'll be revealing that he doesn't think Hack or Petty are the answer to the FQB question. If he passes on QB at 6, then he either thinks one of them can be his FQB, or he's going to hold that judgment to see them this season, and if necessary look for a QB in the 2018 draft. And we'll only know the answer to all than in about 3 weeks.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.