3rd and 19

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, Sep 16, 2018.

1. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Haha. True. Inexcusable = excusable. Anyhow it’s a long season. But I agreee, Bowles has a good deal to prove this year.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It was a busted assignment but he never should’ve been in that assignment in the first place. It’s terrible coaching.

The dolphins weren’t going to throw to the sidelines and risk not running any clock. If they were going to throw, it was only going to be a short safe pass in the middle of the field.

It was also 3rd and forever, all you needed was a stop. You don’t stack the box there! You don’t go man coverage on the running back over the middle.

If Bowles wasn’t an idiot and called a soft zone there, it would not have mattered if one guy missed his assignment. Gore catches that and gets gang tackled by the 4 other defenders in the area. 5 yard gain and the Jets get the ball back.

truthbtold and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jamal Adams makes that play most of the time. The kid has been a force for us, he can play anywhere. It was a risky call nonetheless (edit - greedy sounds better), but the Jets would've had Tannehill sacked if Adams contained Gore. They were right there, I guess you can also consider the field position, cause the punter was fucking us all game long. I thought the defense played well, but the offense just could not get in rhythm. We did Darnold no favors.

4. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Yes. And we have a rookie QB who is learning on the job. And an OC who is also learning. There was some really frustrating stuff that happened during this game, but it’s only one game.

The 3rd and 13 and the bootleg were bad plays. Both were on Adams. But the defense played well enough to win. Hopefully they can get by Cleveland and go into the mini bye 2-1.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good summary. The propencity of the O line to holding and or movement did not help one bit either. Starting 1st and 15 or 1st and twenty does not help the rookie for shit.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We get the ball back down 11 because the Dolphins would've gotten into field goal range.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

It was a fine defensive call and I said that we should blitz them here and press up...if we played soft they had a shot to get enough yardage for a field goal attempt and then game over

Jamal Adams blew it plain and simple....I love the kid but he cost us big time by inexplicably leaving his responsibly in Gore in a huge situation

He does what his assignment Calls for and it works out easily

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Bowles had a lot to prove last year. He did not.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

And unless or until Bowles starts benching players, making substantive changes, and becomes less conservative, Skrine can take Bowles with him when he goes!

10. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Lol.

"This is inexcusable.....but I'll excuse it."

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Watching this game, you could have made a list of who's who as far as who to blame - it was a total team screw-up. The QB, The TE's the Safeties, the corners, the DL - the coaches can't go out there and play for them.

That horrible pass to a wide open Enunwa in the end is just one example - Darnold , rookie or not, should have made that play.

12. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Time to give Nickerson a shot.

13. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

This is exactly how i felt. I tbink Darnold is talented but the vets will grow wary if they keep putting so much weight in his shoulders and he comes up short. Good overall game but he made critical mistakes.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, considering the alternative would be having Josh McCown making those critical mistakes while Darnold carried the clipboard, I'm okay with the kid being there. He's going to screw things up but he'll learn the job faster this way. Now if he only had a QB coach to rely on and an OC who could set up a game plan that suits his roster...

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Exactly. A sack left them out of long FG range. Even a short gain gave them a decent shot at a make-able kick. The Jets best chance of winning the game at that point was sacking Tannehill.

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Maybe Bowles had money on the game.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

It means me and my DC don't have a clue about defense. They had to have had the Lions playbook because this week it looked like the same old Todd Bowles Jets.

18. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

meh, not necessarily, the way kickers were missing yesterday, anything could've happened.

Royal Tee likes this.
  19. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I don't think most people are saying that the offense is less to blame than the defense. When the offense only scored 12 points and has three turnovers they bear the brunt of the burden. The point is that the defense made some really bad mistakes. The third and 19 is an obvious issue as well as another TD drive that was enabled by another third down penalty (by Claiborne). They also were pretty inept at keeping Tannehill's running in check as witnessed by the the next third down play after the third and 19. The defense didn't stink up the joint. It just didn't play up to its potential.

The defense was put in a bad spot by the offense a couple of times. There is no denying that. However, the only reason for a shutout in the second half is because the Dolphins just ran out the clock in the end.

20. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Jets are notorious for allowing conversions on 3rd and long. Yesterday was no surprise to me.

Jetsfansince95 and fggrimes like this.