2018 QB Competition Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Jul 26, 2018.

?

Who will be the week 1 starting QB?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2018.
  1. Josh McCown

22 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Teddy Bridgewater

16 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Sam Darnold

33 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Observation

what does it matter "source". As if anybody really knows. We're all just speculating here

2. forevercursed

The O-Line won't be that wretched. And I'd say I like Darnold much better as a prospect coming out of college than Carr. That whole QB class of 2002 was middling at best...basically crap

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If I'm Bowles I make sure to let Darnold know if he doesn't get his ass into camp soon, the open competition's off and Bridgewater is automatically ahead of him on the depth chart until proven otherwise.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, some are voicing opinions, some are speculating and some are repeating real information. They usually cite facts or sources to make it clear where they're coming from. If you're just guessing, that makes it easier to ignore.

5. forevercursed

To me he already is just by virtue of being present. Plus it's not like he's performed poorly in OTA's + Today

Frankly I'm surprised Darnold actually signed off on something like this and considers it ok missing camp while almost every single draft pick (and QB) is there already. It gets him off on the wrong foot and erodes good will. I'm glad he's a smart kid and knows it's a business but you're going to be hearing unnamed players leaking to the press grumbling if this drags on.

You want to be a leader of men? This is not how you get the ball rolling

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I just don't get it. Bridgewater is 25 years old and was a good QB before he got hurt. There's a real possibility if Darnold doesn't show up, Bridgewater claims the starting job and never loses it. It's highly unlikely, but no less likely than Darnold getting cut before his rookie contract is up. Unless of course, he loses the job to Bridgewater.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. forevercursed

With every passing day he makes the catch-up game he has to play a little bit more difficult for himself. You want to give Bridgewater an opening? Do so at your own peril.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, I don't hate McCown. In fact, I like him, just like him less than Teddy or Darnold and don't want to see either of them hurt. They both quite likely have a future in the NFL. McCown doesn't. It's that simple.

9. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the clarification. I agree that Darnold sitting might not help or hurt as much as we think, but there's just so much that is not quantifiable that there's no way we can ever know definitively. Still, I'd rather err on the side of caution, especially considering that he has only played the QB position for something like 5-6 years and considering the questionable nature of our OL. IMO it would be typical Jets' stupidity to rush him onto the field when he is still raw and needs to learn more about the art of playing QB, and play him behind a shaky OL, then see him go down with a serious injury that could have a negative impact on the rest of his career or possibly even be a career-ending injury. It's just not worth the risk imo.

He's only 21. We have him for at least 4, if not 5 years. If the OL proves to be pretty solid, whether the Jets wind up trading Teddy at some point or not, Darnold will probably wind up starting by late in the season if not earlier. That will be plenty early to get him on the field. I'd rather wait and see him play when he understands more about playing the QB position, has learned the offense, has had a chance to work on his mechanics, and adjust to life in the NFL and thus put the odds solidly in his favor of succeeding.

10. NCJetsfan

You don't know that. Long might not wind up being any better than the stiff we got rid of or he could get re-injured. Winters has never been that great anyway. Carpenter was pretty bad last year and is not a fit in this blocking scheme. Beachum's play could fall off a cliff. Shell isn't that good, either. It doesn't matter if Darnold is a better prospect than Carr. That's irrelevant. He could still take a beating or get injured. IMO it's just not worth the risk of playing him early. There's nothing really to be gained by starting him day one.

11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

This is likely McCown’s last year as a player.

They are not going to throw him out there for game 4.

What some may want and what’s rational are two different things.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

McCown is playing the best football of his career, and is extremely well liked by players and coaches.
    Short of injury, I'd be surprised if he's not on the roster next year.

I agree tho he's not playing the 4th preseason game.
    They likely use that to showcase Teddy for trade value, or to get Darnold some more playing time.

13. NCJetsfan

I know they aren't going to put McCown out there for game 4, but imo of the three he has the least long-term value to the team. Teddy is perhaps already more susceptible to injury, and he may have won the starting spot by then, so you certainly don't want to put him out there. You don't want to risk your prize rookie behind the 2nd and 3rd string OL either. If McCown is the 3rd string QB at that point and just a mentor, then he should be the one to play imo.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If today was any indication, Teddy has a looooong way to go before he beats out McCown.

15. NCJetsfan

Prepare to be surprised. He isn't going to be on the roster next year.

How are they going to showcase Teddy behind the 2nd and 3rd string OLs? He'd be running for his life and likely not show anything. If he got injured, poof there goes his trade value. The only way that makes any sense imo is if the Jets play their starting OL the entire first half while Teddy played, and they aren't likely to do that. Risking your prized rookie playing behind guys who won't even be in the league within a week or two, would be equally dumb imo. Popularity is the last possible reason he (McCown) shouldn't play in the last preseason. IMO the only reason that McCown shouldn't start and play the entire last preseason game is if he's either going to be the starter to begin the season or backup to Teddy if Darnold looks lost.

16. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Which is why I believe they’ll pick up a jag in the next 2 weeks and he’ll be the sacrificial lamb.

McCown, notwithstanding his limited longevity in the league, is one of the leaders on the team and in the locker room.

Bowles is not going to put him on the field with a bunch of grocery baggers-to-be while all the veterans and starters—the other leaders on the team- are on the sideline in sweats.

Not going to happen. Regardless of what “should” happen.

17. NCJetsfan

Again, I agree that it won't happen.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Which is one hell of an indictment of the current state of affairs in Jetland.

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

We’re through a week of practices and I haven’t changed my vote off Darnold.

Sounds like Josh has been Josh; moving the ball efficiently and finding open receivers but no spectacular plays

Teddy hasn’t built off of his great spring (yet) as I’ve seen lots of reporters say he’s been very inconsistent in camp thus far. Has gotten some work with the 1s lately though.

Sam continues to get work with the starters and has improved all 3 practices, with yesterday being clearly his best. Tweet after tweet came along about good looking throws. If he continues to improve as he did all spring, and puts up a good showing in the PS, I can’t see him not starting.

FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I took a look at who I voted for and I forgot I voted for Darnold as well ... #1 in BIG BOY THROWS this TC so far. Making those throws in preseason games and he will win the job.

Teddy has gotten stronger with each practice, but I think Darnold will surpass him on the depth chart if Darnold keeps this up and shows it in the preseason.

K'OB, FJF and Big Cat like this.