2018 Draft - Offensive Linemen

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Leicester Jet, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this!

With the way the QB have looked so far, it would be awesome if Petty could prove to be our FQB this year. If they develop, the Jets could then take one of McGlinchey or Williams in the 1st round, and then either trade up to get Nelson or stay put and take Cole in the 2nd round. I'm normally not one that favors trading up, especially for interior OL, but Nelson sounds like a great prospect.

The Jets OL would take a HUGE step forward adding two players like McGlinchey and Nelson (or Cole) or Williams and Nelson (or Cole).

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Since this is may be even more important than who is the Qb, I'm gonna sticky this.. Feel free to add to this thread as y'all see fit.

#3 Cman68, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The 1st rd is reserved for a QB but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on 2nd rd and beyond prospects.

5. The pass pro prerequisite goes without saying but what we really need to hone in on is their run blocking skills & not so much their ability to drive block heavily referenced within the link provided.

To play in the Jets zone scheme it's more important to show fluidity in space to close on defenders via reach/angle blocks than so to maul somebody out of the gap like in a traditional gap scheme.

In essence finesse OL in the mold of Alan Faneca/Randy Thomas fit the bill over your Brandon Moore/Matt Odwyer types.

Footwork,10 yd split,agility/fluidity & heavy hands at the point of attack take serious priority within given skillsets

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Trey Adams, Washington
    Mitch Hyatt, Clemson
    Martinas Rankin, Miss. St.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

LT/Mike Mcglinchey- ND/ Jets 1st round selection in 2018

Connor Williams- Texas

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

First round will surely be for a QB, but we have 2 second round picks in 2018. I would not be mad at all if 1, if not both are used on the o-line. If we are going to pick QB high, you need to protect that QB and surround him with people who can digest the game slower.

Obv if we focus on bolstering the line through free agency, the strategy can change, but regardless, o line has to be a priority.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

IMO Jets have a shot to move back into the first round. Hopefully to grab the best offensive lineman available.

Given our 2nd round history I say why not

Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how reputable this particular mock draft is, but I've looked at several and there are tons of offensive lineman being projected in the first two rounds.

https://www.google.com/amp/draftwir...-draft-way-too-early-2-round-projections/amp/

I have a hard time focusing on offensive lineman when watching college games, but we shouldn't have a problem going QB and then hell maybe two offensive lineman in the second round or as 101 said, moving back into the first to get one.

Look at what the Chargers did this year in going WR/G/G with their first three picks. That's how you maintain the health and prosperity of your franchise quarterback. They also took a tightend and center in rounds two and three in the previous draft.

Enough messing around with these supposed 'high ceiling' 5th round offensive lineman. Get some high rated hogs in here already. We can't afford to draft a late round offensive lineman and hope they become a starter two years from now.

11. 101GangGreen101

Mcglinchey was awful last night, pretty bad against speed rushers. Haven't seen Connor Williams play yet ...

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I saw that as well, one game does not make a player though. He's still developing technique. I'm not ready to count him out just yet.

In other news, did you see the receiver for Pitt...Jester Weah?

Brandon Marshall type, a DB will not bring him down without help. Catches everything with his hands, just a beast of a WR.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

Just saying, he's no Ronnie Stanley. Perhaps his stocks drops enough where he's a round 2 selection.

Jester Weah is a big target for sure, they need to get him the ball more often. Would also like to see him secure the catch, I think he dropped a few. Can never go wrong with a big receiver that can get down the field.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

QB, LT, C in the 1st two rounds would be magnificent imo.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Frank Ragnow from Arkansas looks a man among boys blocking against A&M at time. He's also a 3 year starter (sophomore season at right guard), two year starter at center now.

He has ideal size at 6'5" 317 lbs. although maybe a little bit tall for leverage purposes but that won't be a problem if he plays with a good pad level. PFF 1st team All-American as a junior and will likely be an All-American as a senior.

I'd imagine he'll likely go in the first two rounds, but man would I love to solidify our center spot with the next Nick Mangold for ten years. Even if it means moving up in the second or even into the first to get him.

Edit: he gets out in space after the snap pretty quickly for a larger center. Only knock is that he looks a teeny bit slower than I'd like in his pass sets. I think he's going to end up being a good player though. We haven't had to worry about having a center in 20+ years dating back to Mawae. Time to keep that tradition going and stop f'n around with Wesley Johnson type of players even if he's not bad but not great.

#15 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    101GangGreen101 and wewantsapp like this.
  16. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I just watched some tape. Dude gets to the second level and pancakes fools. I think he's deceptively fast, it's just that his relative length you see compared to some other OL can make him 'seem' slower. Agree with you RE: pad level, but the one interview I saw with him gave me the impression of an intelligent dude who's eminently coachable. I'd love him with one of our second-rounders.

17. Leicester Jet

Now we are getting to the end of the season, whats everyone opinion on were we need start with our Offensive Line rebuild?

OT, Guard or Centre or is it BPA?

the latest CBS mock, below

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...oys-falcons-add-wr-speed-with-ridley-burnett/

Has us taking Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma. "Brown is better as a run-blocker, but that's not to say he struggles in pass protection. Far from it. He's one of the biggest left tackles we've seen in the draft in some time -- 6-foot-8, 340-plus pounds -- and moves considerably better than you'd expect him to."

Or with where we will be picking there should be lots of very good O/Linemen, if we decide not to go Q/B in the first round.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If they don't take a QB - or the only exception I would agree with would be Barkley - then I don't care who they draft because I'll be an ex-fan at that point.

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. Leicester Jet

I assume that the only way we don't go for a Q/B in the draft is if we already have a free agent Q/B signed or agreed to sign for us.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Or if a top Defensive prospect falls to us... Think Minkah Fitzpatrick :(