2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by GQMartin, Oct 26, 2016.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I see no evidence that playing the in-conference schedule that is the WCC does anything to prepare a team for the NCAA Tournament.

2. HackettSuxTNG

I'm sure that 60 point drubbing of San Francisco is going to really have Gonzaga ready for that second round match in the NCAA Tournament?

Oh, and by the way, let me be on the record right now: You will without a doubt hear an UNPRECEDENTED amount of whining and crying and bitching and moaning about the potential 8th seed that Gonzaga will face in the second round. REGARDLESS of who it is, the Gonzaga apologists will complaint that seed was vastly under-ranked, thus forcing Gonzaga to play a team much "tougher" than they should.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Nice bounce back win by 'Nova today.

And btw Hack your other favorite team is on ESPN tonight at 10:15 (vs. BYU)

Go Zags! : -)

4. HackettSuxTNG

If any team not named Gonzaga lost at home to a team at home they were favored to beat by 20, they would fall out of the top 10.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

'Nova and Kansas move back into 1-2 slots.

As with Gonzaga-BYU last year and this year, Iowa St. takes out Baylor again.

Lots and lots of March Madness contenders - who's going to be the sleeper who unexpectantly makes a run (a la Syracuse last year or e.eg. Dayton previously).

6. HackettSuxTNG

The Rankings today will be:

1) Kansas
    2) Gonzaga
    3) UCLA
    4) Villanova

There is no way that everyone's media darling Gonzaga will drop more than one spot.

7. HackettSuxTNG

Xavier picked a very bad time to lose six straight games.

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Here we go guys. Best few weeks of sports are upon us.

9. HackettSuxTNG

Could not agree with you more. I actually got into this weekend's Wagner vs. St. Francis game!!!

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I actually caught that late night UCLA game and watched Ball for the first time. My god he is unbelievable with the ball. Gets out in front, quick decisions and so so so unselfish. I remember reading how they were terrible on defense but they recently switched to zone? They didn't look to bad. Especially with Ball in the middle of that 3-2.

11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Poor Wagner, losing on that fluke of a heave.

12. HackettSuxTNG

I know! I felt terrible for them. Of course, I have been on the other side of buzzer-beating three pointers too....

joe likes this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Speaking of UNC, did you know???

Patrick Ewing originally planned to attend North Carolina to play with Michael Jordan until he witnessed a Klu Klux Klan rally being held on the ACC school campus during his recruiting trip at which point he changed his mind and chose instead to attend Georgetown of the Big East conference. . Apparently the Tar Heels were not only 'Tar Hill / Tar Baby' racists but stupid enough to have the KKK co-recruiting at the same time......"oh Patrick you're gonna luv Chapel Hill.......and don't pay no mind to those burning crosses over there, .probably just a pep rally or somethin'...."

https://mypraiseatl.hellobeautiful....ing-i-didnt-attend-unc-because-of-klan-rally/

* Locally, the Iona College Gaels of New Rochelle head back to the NCAAs after their 88-87 OT road win last night over Siena to win the MAAC.

* Seth Greenburgh (former Va. Tech coach) touting UNC-Wilmington as a low-seed dark horse who will upset whomever their 1st round opponent is and to mark your tournament bracket accordingly. .

March Madness Trivia:

- A 2014 report cited a $1.3 billion per hour productivity loss for businesses stemming from people engaging in tournament bracket activity as well as on-line streaming of games during the NCAA opening round.

- As a result of #5 seeded Butler's Cinderella run to the 2014 NCAA finals, student applications at the school increased 41%.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

UNC Wilmington is the real deal. I saw them play in person and thats a very, very impressive team.

It all depends on matchups though. A team with great bigs will not be a good matchup for them. I'm not ready to say they'll beat "whoever they are matched up with in round 1" but I will concur they are probably going to be a really good 12/11 seed

15. HackettSuxTNG

Again, I ask everyone: Why is St. Mary's of the WCC considered a "lock" when they do not have a single victory over a nationally ranked team?

16. BrowningNagle

because 68 teams make the tournament.

Should Arkansas make it?

17. HackettSuxTNG

I didn't say they shouldn't make it. I questioned that it should be a "lock"

18. HackettSuxTNG

Should a team that does not have a single top 25 victory, and scored 18 points in the first half of their conference tournament final make it?

19. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

In this case, yes.

20. BrowningNagle

the self proclaimed NY college team got bounced today in the first round of their tourney and boeheim is in his usual early march-mode, crying and pleading with the committee.