2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by GQMartin, Oct 26, 2016.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Their only quality wins were Iowa State, and a broken Arizona team.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

7-0 vs. RPI top 50 teams

3. HackettSuxTNG

Two of which who are St. Mary's, who do not have a single victory over a Top 25 team this season. The RPI is an absolute joke.

4. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

their shooting has been way off lately

they shot 36.8% (25% for 3) against Duke and 27.8% (10% for 3) against UNC.

5. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

28-0 and they've played legitimate teams out of conference

Florida, Iowa State, Arizona, Tennessee, and more

I'm not sure what more they can do. They didn't schedule creampuffs out of conference (almost all their out of conference games are against "power conferences", against schools that have a much bigger budget and enrollment), they haven't lost, and they're crushing teams.

Their average win is by 23.7 points.

They should be a #1 seed without a doubt. The question is can they capitalize on it and make an Elite Eight, at the bare minimum.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I won't ever touch a gonzaga or Wichita St like type in my bracket ever again after getting burned in previous years. Not a believer in Zaga whatsoever.

7. BrowningNagle

RPI is not an absolute joke. But we can save discussion on the merits of RPI for another topic. Yisman stated "Gonzaga going to be a #1 seed. Maybe this is the year for them." and you apparently disagree?? with which part?

--IF there was ANY team in the nation from any conference that was 28-0 with 7 top 50 wins they would be considered a number 1 seed and legitimate national title contender. Gonzaga's past, conference affiliation, preseason ranking, etc.. has nothing to do with that. 7-0 vs. top 50 teams is impressive.

--Louisville might win the ACC and become 1 seed. They are 6-5 right now vs. top 50 teams!!!! Kansas, a 1 seed in Lunardi's latest bracketology is 7-2. Shoot, even the class skippers of North Carolina is 9-3 vs. the same group. and I would say anyone of those teams could win the title just like I'd say about Gonzaga.

There are years in which Gonzaga floated against inferior competition, but this isn't one of them. They went out and played good teams and beat them this year. They deserve credit for that

8. HackettSuxTNG

9. BrowningNagle

it was 7-0 vs. top 50 when I posted it. Akron & Tennessee both slipped to 58 & 63 respectively with losses last night.

and this statement of yours: "Only 8 teams in the top 50 have played less games against the RPI Top 50, six of which are not even in contention for an NCAA Bid" ....
    just tells me they aren't being rewarded for LOSING to any top 50 teams which is what a lot of the "power 5" teams get. In a previous post you mention your opinion that RPI is "a joke." as a general statement I disagree but if I was to find fault it is this- many teams get a boost simply by losing to top 50 teams, which is not the case however with Gonzaga.

Is it better to be 5-0 vs. the top 50 or 6-5?

10. HackettSuxTNG

It is better to be 5-0. However, you are at greater risk of actually losing to a top 50 team if you twelve of them, like North Carolina does.

11. HackettSuxTNG

That's total bullshit. No team in the history of College basketball has gotten credit for LOSING games against power teams than Gonzaga. They get the best of both worlds. When they beat a Top 50 team, they get treated like worldbeaters. (When was the last time a Power Conference team was boasting about beating Iowa State?!?!?) When they lose to a top 50 team, they get the benefit of being the lovable, scrappy underdogs from a tiny mid-major conference, who had no chance against such a team.

12. BrowningNagle

you also have more chances/opportunities at winning them as well

13. BrowningNagle

I dont care about the media and what they say about them I am talking about the numbers and their numbers this season

14. HackettSuxTNG

How do power teams benefit by losing to another power team based on "the numbers"?

15. BrowningNagle

your team's winning percentage is only one component of RPI. RPI is also only one component used in the measuring of teams

16. HackettSuxTNG

Don't chance the subject. I am calling you out to explain this quote:

"many teams get a boost simply by losing to top 50 teams, which is not the case however with Gonzaga."

If anything, I believe it is the exact opposite, but I want you to explain: How do "many" teams get a "boost" by losing to top 50 teams, and how does Gonzaga not get a similar boost?

17. HackettSuxTNG

I agree, yet somehow you think a team that is 5-0 against the RPI top 50 with a SOS of 103 is more impressive than a team that is 9-2 against the RPI Top 50 with a SOS of 38.

18. BrowningNagle

Gonzaga would get a boost if they played more top 50 teams as well, of course. When I said "its not the case with Gonzaga" I'm saying it's not the case because they haven't LOST

unfortunately they don't play in one of these conferences that buys everything so they don't get that many opportunities. The big thing is that top 50 losses don't hurt you. How many times do they look at "resumes" and talk about top 50 wins? top 50 winning percentage is never discussed. '

That's why most these football conference schools play a bunch of deaf,dumb, and blind schools out of conference. They know they are gonna get a shot at 7 or 8 top 50 teams in conference, so it doesn't matter. Schedule scrubs, beat them, and then win against a couple of those conference opponents and you are a quality tournament team.

Gonzaga, St. Mary's and the like, they don't get that luxury so they have to go out and play tough teams OOC. All I am saying is that THIS year Gonzaga DID that. They went out and scheduled tough teams AND they won. They deserve credit. They deserve a number 1 seed

19. BrowningNagle

I am not really saying that at all. I am saying both of those teams are good and have a great argument for a number 1 seed as well as legitimate contenders for the title..

this whole argument started because yisman said that about gonzaga "they will be a no.1 seed and this could be their year" you disagree?

20. HackettSuxTNG

Really? And whose fault is that? In this era in which college sports is identical to their professional counterparts in their desire to earn more money, you don't think a larger conference would want Gonzaga to join their basketball ranks tomorrow?

Oh, Stop it! Tell me about those football powerhouses in the Big East, and how they went 8-3 against the ACC almighty this year? 6-1 against the SEC? 7-10 against the Big 10? That's THIRTY FIVE games against three "power conferences". What you don't get because you are blinded by your love for these "lovable mid-majors" is that teams in a conference like the Big East go out of their way to schedule even more difficult non-conference schedules than your beloved Gonzaga.

St. Mary's doesn't have a win against a Nationally Ranked team this season, and yet they are in the Top 25 for the sole purpose to promote Gonzaga. You think that is "right"?

#60 HackettSuxTNG, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017