2016-17 NBA THREAD

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by JetLifeLo, Oct 4, 2016.

1. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

IT became a fan favorite, but I'll take this trade any day.

Kyrie is better than IT, if he is selfish in this system he will hear it from the fans pretty quick. Plus the max Irving can earn on his next contract is 24.1M while IT is closer to 30. After reading into the trade beyond their skill set, you realize why the Celtics had to give up a lot.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Good trade for both sides. Should the Cavs get back to the finals, they'll have a capable defender for Durant. Rose and IT are a decent PG tandem, especially if Rose is healthy. It's a good 1 year shot at a championship. I expect the Nets to be a lot better then last years roster, so the Cavs won't get a top pick.

Knicks might as well try and trade Melo back to the Cavs and get that Brooklyn pick. Cavs will be blown up after this year.

3. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

The Nets are the gift that keeps on giving

Melo will not go to Cleveland unless LeBron makes assurances that he's going to stick around for 2 seasons

JetBlue likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

wow so what will the Celtics starting 5 look like? It amazing to me that they had the best record in the East last year and they went and made major changes this offseason. They may be good changes for sure just what they did is almost unheard of

5. BrowningNagle

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

They had too. They saw how far away they were from the cavs. This makes them closer while also setting them up for when Kenton is done, either for good or out of the east

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Celtics still need one great player to help them get over the top, they have a good team, but in order for them to get through Cleveland, they need a star inside player.

8. BrowningNagle

Horford is damn good ain't he?

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Don't get me started on him, I thought he was going to be a force to be reckoned with when the Celtics signed him.

He's from the Dominican Republic, I should have known better than to expect a latin basketball player to play the PF position correctly.

10. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I think it's great all the Celtics fans are so happy about this.

Gave away a star player, for a selfish baby that can't carry a team on his own, plus gave a good role player, plus gave away a very likely top 3 pick next year. Brilliant lol

11. Red Menace

Who's the star player, IT? You think Isaiah Thomas is better than Kyrie Irving?

I agree that Irving is a crybaby, but he is a superior player when compared to IT.

Draft picks in the NBA are not the same as football, very few of those top drafted players become superstar players.

2017 line up- Smart, Irving, Hayward, Tatum, Horford.

2016 line up- Smart, Isaiah, Crowder, Brown, Horford.

#871 Red Menace, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  12. John Lombardo

I swear picks make people mental, because you can imagine anything you want. Boston radio is trying to pitch pick>Tatum... Please. The last draft was noted to be the deepest since the Lebron draft, but now next year's pick is more valuable?

(Not saying this is you)

First it was "Can the Celtics trade for a superstar?" Then they trade a star and some others for said superstar, and now its "The Celtics gave up too much." If we were not saying that, then the Cavs would have been fleeced. You have to give up to get.

How many super stars would you not consider a selfish baby? There aren't too many in my opinion. And like Red said, picks in the NBA aren't guaranteed to make an impact in the NBA, let alone be stars.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Kyrie Irving is an amazing player, without him no championship in 2016. People are just butt hurt that another player is forcing their way somewhere else

14. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

My point is, how did the Cavs do with him before Lebron came? I get that he's gotten better since, but I just don't think he's better than IT. Even if you have a reason that he is better, is he a draft pick and role player better than him? I don't think so.

15. John Lombardo

I think he is better, younger, under contract longer under the old CBA, and he has a max salary potential of 24.1 million at oppose to IT who was going to want 30+.

Also fits the timeline of this Celtics team better, all of the players (except Horford, who is older) will be peaking at around the same time.

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

IT is a 5'7 string bean who will be 29 years old this season. Those guys don't play very long. Irving is only 25 years old and already excelled on the biggest stage and will be cheaper. They both are elite offensive talents that struggle with defense but its a clear, clear upgrade at the PG position for the Celtics both in the short and long term.

and I hate the Celtics
    --

the Cavs are done. It's a good thing they got the draft pick with it and a bit of a surprise at that. They've gotten worse for next season and after the year LeBron & IT will both take talents elsewhere. All they can do is give it one last run here and hope the Nets are terrible again so they get a high pick. Either way they aren't lookin at another title for a long time

NYJalltheway likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

Bradley started for the Cs? But yeah that line-up can't bang down low. They should've tried to find a way to acquire Marc Gasol. Cs still lack shooters. Smart can't shoot to save his life.

Horford likes to shoot 3s now.

18. Red Menace

Tatum, Irving, Hayward, this trifecta is going to be very difficult to stop offensively.

Tatum is a complete player that will see starter minutes by the middle of the season, his assist will also go up since he will be playing with guys that can finish.

What did you mean by Bradley, I don't recall saying Bradley in my post.

19. 101GangGreen101

You referenced the 2016 lineup, didn't Bradley start? But that line-up will be good offensively, but I do think they need some more shooters to spread the floor along with another capable big man / shot blocker.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

And the Cavs aren't trading that first round pick if they think James might leave.