2016-17 NBA THREAD

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by JetLifeLo, Oct 4, 2016.

1. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

Seems pretty clear that being a teammate of Lebron is something that not any NBA player had to deal with.. Not from a talent level, but from an expectation level that he has on his teammates.

I remember his last season on the Heat players were saying how it was the least "fun" they have had in the NBA, you could tell in the last few games of that finals.... This finals felt a little similar. He drives his teammates into the ground with what he expects out of them, and the modern NBA player is not used to that type of pressure.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think that's pretty silly. Yet at the same time it could be true. But that's incredibly soft by players whom complain. LeBron expects greatness out of players, he just hasn't been willing to push them out of the way if they can't handle it the way Jordan did (slapping Kerr, going 150% in practice to embarrass players) or Kobe did (telling Smush Parker not to talk to him in practice, feud with lazy Shaq).

It's for better or worse sometimes. Kobe and Shaq probably could've won a couple more rings together. Kyrie can maybe squeak one more out with LeBron but he's sick of being a wingman. He wants to get the girl.

He has his ring. He will never face the pressure of winning a championship for the rest of his career. So he wants to see what he can do riding solo.

This is a touchy situation. Because if they don't get a superstar back then they toss away one of the last years of LeBron's 'prime' and basically strip him of a chance to win; in which case he definitively will walk.

From a basketball standpoint I can see why some say it's better to appease Kyrie than LeBron in terms of longevity. From a money and marketing standpoint it's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. LeBron pulls in so much revenue for that city that they need to keep him.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

It seems like the only logical move honestly. Where in the West is he going? Anthony Davis or Boogie Cousins for him? The Clippers would be kind of cool but they won't deal Blake because that sort of defeats the point of Kyrie wanting to win. Conley & LeBron are bad fits, and Conley has a gigantic contract.

As far as the East goes it's tough. Who can the Heat give up that would appease LeBron? Whiteside? Dragic and Waiters aren't that great of fits next to him. Bradley Beal & fillers maybe? Kyrie and Wall are bad fits.

The Knicks are about the only logical team in a 'Melo for Kyrie deal. Superstar for superstar without leaving Bron out to dry (from Cleveland's standpoint).

Francessa brought up an interesting trade in Klay & Iguodala for Kyrie but why would the Warriors break up that team at all?

FJF likes this.
  4. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

better chance for the Knicks to get a trade of Kyrie, or of Lebron?

If James wants to walk next year the Cavs would be wise to hold on to Kyrie and appease him

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Pretty much how I see it. knicks would have to sweeten it up with some dp's but it's still a win for both. Kyrie and porzingas would be fun to watch too.

6. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

It is a silly take... I agree it's an alpha thing, but it is also something to consider... Great points with the MJ/Kobe comparisons on how they handled lesser players, Lebron will just slam them into a wall until they want to leave.

7. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Derrick Rose went from asking the Knicks for the max to taking a 1 year deal for $2.1 million to play with LeBron.

8. GordonGecko

aka Reality Check

FJF likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Seeing what Noah and Hardaway got, Rose figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Well it's only really a win for the Cavs given that they seemingly have to trade Kyrie now and Carmelo is the best player they'll get in that scenario. I don't get why Kyrie doesn't want to wait one more season though? He and his camp are supposedly very upset because they think LeBron's camp released the information.

Maybe he quietly wanted them to take a look and he planned to hold on for one more year instead of creating a public feud. If LeBron leaves next year like everyone says he will, then boom he gets his own team with a somewhat decent core already (Love, Tristan Thompson, Korver, Shumpert, JR still under contract + plenty of cap space to beef up the bench or grab another star?). After looking at it that cores not that great, but Kyrie wants to be THE guy doesn't he?

I'm having doubts about him wanting to be the guy as much as I think he's sick of playing with LeBron. But is he sick of LeBron the person/player (personality) or is he just sick of playing with a top 3 player of all time?

Because he referenced the Spurs & Timberwolves as teams where he would be in a 1A/1B situation in terms of who "the guy" is.

Also, didn't watch it but saw the headline, is Kobe influencing this? Kobe pushing Kyrie to be his own man somewhere not only as its similar to what he did with Shaq but it slows Mr. James ring count by a year? Probably not but food for thought.

I'm a Nets fan and I think Kyrie to the Knicks to pair with Porzingis would be awesome to revitalize the Garden. Does he turn into Marbury/Steve Francis all over again though?

Sorry. Rambling.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

There's rumors of Josh Jackson (4th overall, Eric Bledsoe and a future first round pick for Kyrie to the Suns. Man, would that piss LeBron off or what?

Send Kyrie to a shitty situation too and in the West nonetheless. I like Kyrie a lot, even own a pair of his Kyrie 2 Duke basketball shoes. But sometimes when these players try to play GM and dictate everything they want, you sort of want to see them get screwed.

Kyrie you want to be the man? Go try to do it on an extemely young Suns team then bro.

I also wonder if the Timberwolves would turn around and trade Jimmy Butler for him. I think he's a better fit on the T-Wolves than Butler is really. Butler and Wiggins sort of operate in the same space. I don't think Cleveland really would want Butler though as he's very ball dominant and LeBron would end up turning him into a spot up shooter.

What about Aldridge, Mills & fillers for Kyrie? Seems like an awful trade for the Cavs unless they were to then move Love for someone in the backcourt.

After looking at these scenarios, the Knicks are the only team that can really make this work for both sides. And that's only with acquiring a leaving-his-prime Carmelo.

This was a pretty awesome offseason though in terms of shifting powers. Unfortunately, I still don't see the Rockets or Timberwolves having a chance at taking down the Warriors. Would've been cool to see Iggy & Livingston leave to at least weaken the bench. I can't see how they don't run through the West again.

Anyone have thoughts on this stuff? I see you lurking up there @HomeoftheJets . Would love to get your thoughts on this stuff. Feel like I'm rambling to myself haha.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Kyrie doesn't play defense, so I don't think he can be a #1 on a title contender.

If Bron wants to leave Cleveland next year, he'd be crazy to go to the Western Conference. Can you imagine him going to LA and being in the same division as GS? If he does that, it tells me he cares more about his next career than winning. Best place for his legacy is Miami if he can make up with Riley, and they can assemble another superteam. Best place to win is probably Boston.

If I'm Cleveland, I try to get Bron and Kyrie to make up like Shaq and Kobe did for a couple years. If not you have to trade him for another star, preferably a guard, if you want any chance at keeping Bron around.

As a Knicks fan, I'd like to see a Kyrie for Carmelo + a first rounder trade though if any team could screw up a Kyrie-KP pairing, it's the Knicks. OTOH if that pairing works, you've ensured KP stays, which should be the Knicks' #1 priority.

The Warriors will probably win the title; their best competition in the West is SA, Houston, and OKC in that order. Unless the Cavs can get out of this mess with Kyrie or an equally good player, Boston should be favorites to win the East.

Jonathan_Vilma, FJF and NYJalltheway like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah I don't really buy the LA rumors. I'm not sure why everyone is so set on it. If this Kyrie nonsense weren't happening then I could see him staying in Cleveland without issue. His legacy is important to him, so does he really want to be viewed as someone that bounced around the league changing teams three times?

I'm excited to see if OKC can gel together. They have very good role players and they just needed another superstar. Paul George has also proved that he can play with bigs similar to the ones he'll be playing with here. It's all about if Russel GOATbrook can readjust to sharing the rock. I'm sure he can but I could see a rocky first quarter of the season for them.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The first scenario actually would work out better for the Cavs. Josh Jackson can be the stout defender and rebounder along with Love. Meanwhile Bledsoe complements Lebron and Love on the scoring end of it.

I also agree about players dictating what teams do, this is why I don't like today's basketball. Having a chance to win more championships it's the ultimate goal, kyrie has that and wants out, what he should be asking is how can we make this team stronger?

16. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

When there is a ring in in a team lol
    EVER felt you’re out of your league on the sporting field or court?

A few social basketballers from the outer Melbourne suburb of Greensborough did when they turned out for their regular Monday game last night.

Lining up at the other end of the court was NBA star Ben Simmons, who answered a call from a friend to fill-in.

NBA SCHEDULE: SIMMONS’ CHRISTMAS DAY NBA TREAT

GOALS: DELLY’S AIM FOR SECOND YEAR AT BUCKS

[​IMG]
    Ben Simmons dropped in on some unsuspecting locals at a suburban Melbourne amateur game. Picture: Getty Images
    MILLS MISS: NO COMM GAMES FOR STAR BOOMER

JINGLIN’: NOTHING SLO-MO ABOUT OUR JOE INGLES

Most at the Diamond Valley Sports Centre had no idea they were in the presence of the Philadelphia 76ers young gun — until he started dunking with ease over his amateur opponents.

“One of his close mates bought him down for a game to just fill in, no one in the stadium knew it was him until about five minutes into the game and then about 60 people rocked up to watch him play. It was crazy,” one witness told the Herald Sun.

“He didn’t try until the last quarter and then scored like 15 in a row and dunked on two blokes.

“I’ve never seen anything like it.

“Imagine rocking up to a game and seeing an NBA player on the other end.”

Playing for ‘The Splashers’ in the Diamond Valley Basketball Association’s Ultimate Civic League, Simmons finished with 34 points, including 17 in the final quarter, as his team downed ‘Redbacks’ 72-52. They led by just two points at the final change.

17. GordonGecko

Kyrie traded to Celtics for Thomas plus a haul of extras

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is interesting. Would make the Cavs-Celtics an exciting Eastern Conference Finals. Could mess up chemistry for both teams too and allow a team like the Wizards a chance to reach the NBA Finals.

19. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Or the Bucs :D

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I love this trade, they are going to be a prolific scoring team.

IT was good, but Irving is going to make everyone around him better, especially Tatum, who is going to be a big time player.

If Horford can find a way to rebound a little more and be a defensive presence, the Celtics might be able to make finals.....i know, I know, it's early, but I'm happy as a Celtics fan.

#860 Red Menace, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    The Dark Knight likes this.