2016-17 NBA THREAD

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by JetLifeLo, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

now rumors are they've suddenly reversed course and decided to play LeBron/Love/Irving

weird

2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe that Charles Oakley thing. He claims he didn't do anything wrong, but MSG says he was drunk and abusive. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, we know Dolan doesn't like Oakley. Fans in the area reported that he really didn't do anything wrong except curse at a security guard but that was pretty much it.

#222 Sam Hammer, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Knicks somehow upset the Spurs and in typical espn fashion, half of the game recap on sportscenter centered on spike lee drawing attention to himself...spike's like really cool you know..

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I know Melo has a no trade claus and can choose where he wants to go, but why wouldn't the Thunder be in the running for him? They have a good amount of young talent on the roster that they can offer and Westbrook badly needs someone to take the scoring burden off of him.

Brilliant by Phil to give him a no trade clause (one of only two players in the NBA with one, Dirk being the other).

I know it's not really OKC's style as they're strictly a build through the draft team but it seems like a no brainer that's not even been discussed.

The Clippers and Lakers don't want him. The Cavs don't want to give up the asking price of Love for him (and rightfully so). So one would think he'd want to get out of New York as quickly as possible with all this bullshit.

I give him credit for sticking it out and not taking the easy way out. I feel like his wife has been a huge influencer in making him stay but still.

It's really telling though how much of a ball stopping and completely dead solo offensive player he is. Teams don't want a 25-30 PPG scorer for a reason, because he absolutely destroys any sort of offensive flow a team might have.

Should've went to the Bulls when he was a free agent. He was literally a perfect fit with that Rose/Noah/Boozer/Deng/Korver combination.

I also understand that his stats and All Star appearances put him in the Hall of Fame alone but god damn. Has he ever been a truly great player? He's been out of the first round once when he played with actual winners in Iverson and Billups. Tracy McGrady 2.0.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And after that long winded post. When do the Nets ever project to be competitive? 2022 at best? What a disaster to move to Brooklyn and trade their entire future for two over the hill superstars only to watch the entire franchise crumble for the better part of a decade.

Fuck.

6. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

NBA is boring as fuck as always. Wake me up in May-June. Only three series will matter in the long-winded NBA playoffs where a bunch of garbo teams square up against each other. Warriors vs Spurs and then that winner vs the Cavs. ZZZZZ

League needs to be cut by like 8 teams. Four teams making the playoffs on each coast, similar to baseball, or something like that. No one wants to watch the #1 Cavs murder the sub .500 #8 seed in the East, it's boring as fuck.

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

When's the last time a 7, or 8 seed won a series?

8. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

Ibaka traded to the Raptors for Terrance Ross and a 1st round pick.

Thank god Ross is off the Raptors... Pretty sure he averages 20 a game against the Celtics.

9. John Lombardo

The Warriors won as an 8th seed I remember.... Like 9 years ago?

10. NYJalltheway

Still.. It never happens really. I can see the argument for top 4 seeds.

11. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Very rare for a 1 or 2 to lose to a 7 or 8 in a series.

You need something like a 7 or 8 seed that has better talent, like if they had injuries, but the players recovered for the playoffs.

1983 was the first playoffs under the current format.

In 34 years (1983-2016), the upset has happened only ten times.

The four #8 seeds to win

2007 Golden State
    1994 Denver
    2011 Memphis
    1999 Knicks

#231 Yisman, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    NYJalltheway likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

At least people still boo the Knicks. The Nets could move or fold and nobody would care.

13. John Lombardo

a 7-8 upset every 3.4 years doesn't sound that terrible. But I also don't think anyone is watching the NBA because of the parity either.

I would go back to a 5 game series in the first round, I think that could make for more upsets.

#233 John Lombardo, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

15. John Lombardo

You and your words.

16. John Lombardo

Pistons in advance talks with the Magin to trade Reggie Jackson for DJ Augustin and Jeff Green.

So basically Reggie Jackson for two mid level rotational players.. Damn did that guy fall out of grace.

17. NYJalltheway

Anyone excited for tonight? I've always been a sucker for the 3 point contest.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think I've ever been excited for all star weekend. I mean, I've watched some of it, but it was always something that was on in the background.

19. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

The 8th seeded Sixers beat the Bulls in 2012. Prior to that in 2011, the 8th seed Grizzles beat the Spurs. In 2014, the Mavs as the 8th seed pushed the Spurs to seven games in round one. And we've seen many series in the past decade, where the 7th/8th seed pushed the top two seeds in the conference.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

they should just replay the 88 jordan v wilkins dunk contest every year instead of rolling out a bunch of guys who would be lucky if their parents are interested enough to watch tonite.