2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by nyjunc, Aug 29, 2014.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's the Atlantic 10. The New Big East is better than that though because they take it further as they are still a conference with the potential to win it all in March, in addition to those other things. In that regard I would classify them as major

2. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

When Villanova blew the doors off VCU on Monday night en route to a 77-53 rout, it wasn't just a statement victory for the Wildcats.

It also continued the unexpected run of success the oft-questioned Big East has enjoyed so far this season.

The Big East collectively boasts an impressive 34-2 record, a mark that includes Creighton's victory over Oklahoma, Providence's wins against Notre Dame and Florida State and now Villanova's demolition of VCU. Rebuilding Marquette is responsible for the league's only two setbacks, a predictable one against Ohio State and an embarrassing one at home against Division I newcomer Nebraska-Omaha.

While the majority of the Big East's wins have come against a collection of small-conference teams, other power conferences haven't fared nearly as well against equally suspect competition. ACC teams have already lost 14 games this season, SEC teams have dropped 13 and Pac-12 teams have suffered 10 defeats.

3. HackettSuxTNG

They are much closer to being a major this year versus last, but with ten teams, they would need a minimum of 5 teams in the NCAA tournament to earn that status.

I look forward to the final two teams being added to make this a twelve team conference. They will be twelve strong with a singular goal of dominating College Basketball, while the ACC (Outside of UNC and Duke) will be more concerned with earning that big check by playing in the Alimo Bowl.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. HackettSuxTNG

In addition, by your logic, the Atlantic 10 was a "major" the year that St. Josephs was a 1 Seed.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well I do think the Atlantic 10 has been closer in many years to that quasi "distinction" than other years.. and that year was one of them. Last year they got 6 teams in out of 13, so that is damn close to your criteria for example. and 6 teams in 2013.

They have a lower floor than the BE though so that holds them back. They also don't have the massive TV money and the exposure that comes with it that the BE does, however.

I am not knocking the BE. There is something to be said for a conference that focuses primarily on basketball and I am tired of these state schools selling their souls for football. I wish the new BE the best of luck.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we took over for the old BE w/ a better top half and just as bad bottom half to feast on.

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's Kentucky, and then everyone else this year. Not even close.

8. HackettSuxTNG

Nice job there. Hard to argue against those numbers.

Another great point, which is why the Big East MUST be careful when selecting the final two teams in this conference. I have great faith in this commissioner to make smart choices.

Which is why I trust the commish. She is a great negotiator.

And we thank you for your support.

9. HackettSuxTNG

Right, and for EIGHT YEARS, you criticized the Big East for having the same poor quality bottom half. Take your medicine like a big boy.

Oh, and by the way: best of luck to Wake Forest in the Cracker Barrel Cheese bowl.

10. HackettSuxTNG

I heard that before... in 1985... It was Georgetown and then everyone else.

Hey Junc, in 2005, wasn't it Illinois and everyone else?

11. HackettSuxTNG

I hate our new Editor

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

C'mon now. Illinois was never even close to as hyped as this UK team. Nor were they even as close to as stacked as this team. Sure they may lose a meaningless regular season game or two. But they should be the odds on favorite to win 6 in a row come NCAA time. They are beyond loaded. It's unfair.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

As in how many teams are in the Big East?

14. HackettSuxTNG

Ten, soon to be twelve.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Thanks. And as memory serves me, I was also referring to last year's unsolicitated Big East potshot.

I see the future Big East Flyers just waxed Boston College, the original B.E. money-grabbing "abscondee." ;)

16. nyjunc

UK is the deserving favorite but it was supposed to be UK and everyone else last year too, they had a nice run in the Tourney but barely made the tourney. It's a long season

17. nyjunc

The BE is the one that started stealing schools from other conferences, they have no one to blame but themselves.

18. HackettSuxTNG

I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I didn't blame the Big East when they started adding quality schools, nor do I blame the ACC or any other conference for going after any schools that were once part of the Big East. Personally, I am thrilled with the new Big East. Once the newer members decided that they wanted to be a "Football first" conference, I said "There's the door, get the hell out".

So again, Enjoy Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, and Louisville (For one more year). But if you think for one second that their athletic department resources are going to be focused on Basketball like Duke and UNC, you are only kidding yourself. There is too much money to be earned in the Kelloggs Fruit Loops Bowl.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

A northeast Catholic school: Big East or a public school-dominated, mid-south conference? B.C. (esp. the timing) sitting in the A.C.C. looked like stripes and plaids. Teams like 'Nova leaving the Eastern Eight to join the Big East at least made more sense because Nova's not a public school (with a gazillion-dollar budget) but a smaller private/parochial basketball school--the landscape suited them. The B.E. foray into football was temporary esp. once the idiot successor to Mike Tranglese turned down ESPN's TV offer (with an assist to N.D. on that one). That said, Boston College's move to the A.C.C. was a money grab.

20. nyjunc

I didn't want BC or Syracuse or Pitt or ND or Va Tech or Miami. the ACC was perfect at 9 teams prior to expansion.