2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by nyjunc, Aug 29, 2014.

1. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

If Sanchez becomes the starter in Philly, it will be because their starter is hurt, not because Nacho is out playing anyone.
    He put up decent numbers in the pre season, but against 2nd and 3rd string defenses. He will never be a quality NFL starter, let it go.

Oh yea I forgot, NC won the same amount of titles as Duke in the 2000-2010 decade, not more.
    How many regular season, and ACC titles has Duke won in that span compared to UNC?
    Game over Junc, Duke is the better basketball school from the 1980's till present.
    Game over Junc, Sanchez is not even an average NFL quarterback. Below average to terrible, and will only win a Super Bowl as a bench player, or learning to play turnover free on the 2000 Ravens, or 1985 Bears teams.
    Go Jets!
    Go Duke!
    Later on dude

2. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

By the way, did you even read the article in the USA today?
    Obviously not, because further into it, it says why Duke haters such as yourself hate Duke...... Because they are the best on Tobacco Road. Wow Junc way to go, you helped me rather than helping yourself. All you did was find other words that you agree with or found personal influence, and tried to use them professionally like you had found some kind of "Proof" or something. I do expect more from you dude, much more!
    On a non argumentative note, what is your non conference schedule looking like? Conference schedule? Any great show downs to speak of? No UK this year? That's the one game a year that I root for your Heels. For what it's worth, my middle son is a UNC fan, my other two (oldest and youngest) sons are Bluedevils. My wife secretly cheers with her family and UK, but watches every Duke game with me.
    You got any Duke memorabilia that you would trade for UNC memorabilia? I think I still have the 1982 Sports Illustrated, and 1993 SI that detail the Final Fours and championship runs leading up in the previous SI's for each. I really need the SI following the 1992 East Region final VS UK.
    We're you a JR Reid fan?
    I also have Jordan's last game in Carmichael, and they happen to beat Duke in a thriller on video.
    I will leave you with this....... Michael Jordan is the best basketball player to ever breath oxygen. Lebron isn't even close to him, like people try to argue today. He is a big baby in a wonderfully athletic specimen of a body. He doesn't have the drive, heart, passion, killer instinct, will or desire that MJ had.
    MJ sure didn't have to buy his own team to win one, and made his teammates better. Lebron is a joke, and wouldn't be as great as he is now, if he played in Jordan's era...... The greatest in the NBA history timeline. Lebron doesn't play against Hall of gamers every night like MJ did. Sure Lebron has as body, but not much else.
    What's your take?
    Getting late, till next time......

#22 tbruner12, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Laettner is the best college player I have ever seen but Tyler was not too far behind. Much better than that overrated choker JJ Reddick who would flop on 3s and go to the line, there is a guy who went to the line way too much.

The '09 team especially dominated the tourney like no team has in the 64 team era.

w/o Ty Lawson the Heels don't make the FF? sure but w/o Hurley or Laettner does duke make it in '91 or '92? if Laettner gets ejected against UK like he should have duke doesn't make the '92 FF. That is a silly argument.

Jordan wasn't Jordan yet but he was still a big time player and do you forget James Worthy? Sam Perkins?

Boozer was nowhere near the college player Tyler was. Battier was a flopper, Williams was great but he and Lawson would neutralize each other. who was a better shooter on duke than Green and Ellington?

they did choke in 1994 after losing their leader in Derrick Phelps to a cheap shot in the rd of 32 game(by the way the first time they hadn't made the sweet 16 in 14 years).

K is the greatest, the man afraid to play a true road game to pad his record that goes out early every tournament.

since Roy went back to Carolina:

Nat'l titles:
    UNC 2
    duke 1

FFs:
    UNC 3
    duke 2

elite 8s:
    UNC 6
    duke 2

rd of 64 exits:
    UNC o
    duke 2

losses to 15 seeds:
    UNC 0
    duke 1

4. nyjunc

non conf sched is brutal as always.

highlights:
    at UK(in Rupp, not neutral site)
    battle of Atlantis where they could play UF, Wisconsion and or UCLA. probably will play 2 of those teams.
    Ohio State in Chicago

as far as Jordan/Lebron. Jordan was the best, I agree to an extent that he didn't need to go to a team to win. players should come to you when you are that great BUT Lebron is going to be a top 5 all time player when his career is done. he's not Michael but that's not an insult.

5. nyjunc

This isn't related to this year but check out this video of an alumni game btw the Heels and UCLA from 1987. Check out the move by Jordan at the 1:29:48 mark.

6. nyjunc

7. nyjunc

InsideCarolina‏@InsideCarolina 1m1 minute ago
    Wainstein: There is no evidence to support Rashad McCants' claims.

8. nyjunc

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

http://nypost.com/2014/10/22/massive-academic-fraud-uncovered-at-unc/

Maybe you shoulda read that report junc instead of relying on a tweet from"inside carolina" for closure?

It's really creepy how the unc community is approaching this. Flat out denial despite evidence to the contrary, claims of conspiracy/vendetta/bias against them specifically.. Etc it reminds me a lot of the penn state community trying to bury their little scandal and hang onto their messed up little program like it was better than everyone else's.

10. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

lol @ the number 1 priority being education

I want to believe!

11. asbcheeks

asbcheeks Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/unc-ac...13657979-ncaaf.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

"Now that UNC knows the independently reported facts, it can act. For years, its championship basketball teams were populated by players who benefitted from academic fraud – the 2005 national title team alone had 10 AFAM majors. If those titles were won with players who wouldn't have been eligible without sham grades, take down the banners yourself. Take the hardware out of the trophy cases. Wear your shame.

For a school that long proclaimed to be a special place, that would be a start on restoring its integrity."

12. asbcheeks

asbcheeks Member

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...s-just-the-latest-to-keep-himself-in-the-dark

"Just like Joe Paterno was never too interested in exposing Jerry Sandusky at Penn State, and Jim Tressel was never too interested in finding out how his players got all those tattoos at Ohio State, and Jim Calhoun was never too interested in the reality that one of his top recruits at Connecticut had an established relationship with a former UConn manager turned agent, Roy Williams wasn't initially too interested in taking the obvious steps to find out if the majority of the players on his 2005 national title team (and others throughout his tenure) were being guided into fraudulent classes to ensure eligibility.

Why wasn't he initially interested, you ask?

Because, quite simply, it was better if he didn't know."

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

While as sports fans we gloat and take pleasure in seeing teams we don't like be befallen with these types of incidents, it really is a shame that the athletes themselves are done such a disservice by the schools when they are supposed to be building them up to be intelligent, productive people.

14. BrowningNagle

Brad Wolverton (@bradwolverton)
    10/22/14, 2:22 PM
    Basketball player enrollment in bogus classes, by coach: Dean Smith, 54; Bill Guthridge, 17; Matt Doherty, 42; Roy Williams, 167.

twitter.com/bradwolverton?refsrc=email

15. nyjunc

I read the report and watched the presentation, don't allow the "mainstream media" to dictate what you believe. Read it for yourself, there is nothing there to damage the basketball program and the football program was already punished.

16. nyjunc

that is someone tweaking words, in the report it does not state "bogus" classes but paper classes and the investigation was from 1993-2011. Dean coached 4 more years, Gut 3 years, Doherty 3 years, Roy 8 seasons so obviously he'd have more b/c he has had more players but:

Read it, I don't have time to go through it again right now but here are some highlights:

Bruce Feldman@BruceFeldmanCFB · 20h20 hours ago
    #UNC report:“No current coaches were involved or aware” in "hundreds of irregular classes” for 18 yrs until 2011.Over 3000 students involved

InsideCarolina@InsideCarolina · 19h19 hours ago
    Wainstein: There is no evidence to support Rashad McCants' claims.

InsideCarolina@InsideCarolina · 19h19 hours ago
    Roy Williams and Joe Holladay took steps to decrease enrollments in the AFAM paper classes.

InsideCarolina@InsideCarolina · 18h18 hours ago
    Wainstein said Roy Williams' actions to limit AFAM enrollments were "inconsistent with being complicit" or promoting the AFAM scheme.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/story/1471854-wainstein-report-details-afam-fallout?s=78

17. BrowningNagle

That's a weak attempt at a rebuttal. I am not going to take anything from Inside Carolina or North Carolina's scout page seriously.
    I posted something from the freakin Associated Press and you say I shouldn't let them dictate what to believe even though it's the most respected outlet there is and offer me this UNC based bullshit?

I'm not going to read the full report because it's not my school, I'm not an alum, etc. So I don't really care too much and it's a 136 pages of tertiary writing. I can think of 1000s of other things I'd rather do. I don't think you've read it either despite your claims because if you did you would offer your biased summary or try to pretend it doesn't exist, instead of giving us stuff from "Inside Carolina"....

It's obvious though that the basketball program isn't squeaky clean. Theres not a chance all other sports were benefitting from the scheme but the school's most treasured, flagship program wasn't. Don't be naive.

As an academic institution, UNC should be ashamed of itself. And this is basically just the beginning of the fallout.

However, I fully expect a soft slap on the wrist for Roy Williams and the basketball program. It's all about $$ and the NCAA can't afford to have their cash cow actually hurt. I expect a small loss of scholarships, maybe a faux-probation period and possibly something for that tarnished 2005 title team. But nothing really substantial for UNC's b.ball future or Roy because the NCAA is so corrupt it's not even funny.

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Without a bogus 5th foul on Greg Anthony and the NCAA targeting Tark they don't even make the 91 finals

nyjunc likes this.
  19. nyjunc

bash the Inside Carolina info but they have been neutral through this whole process, those were DIRECT quotes from both the report itself and from Wainstein reviewing it yesterday. the ones others have posted have not been direct quotes.

what went on there goes on everywhere, every University has "easy" classes. The basketball players were not steered toward those classes. football had their issues and they have been punished for it.

if you don't want to read it(or watch the PC- it's available online) then how can you give an informed opinion?

20. nyjunc

Back to basketball, the Heels had a great first exhibition game. Hopefully the start to a FF season and I need a good pick me up after this Jets disaster.