Zay Jones vs Chris Godwin vs Field

Discussion in 'Draft' started by James Hasty, Mar 7, 2017.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

On player that may have worked and hustled his way into the second round of the draft is Zay Jones (6'1" 202 lbs 4.53 40). His performance in the Senior bowl vaulted him into the third round. In the combine he showed the skills to cement his status as a third rounder or higher. Most experts have Jones ranked as the fifth or sixth best receiver.

Another player who seemed like just another guy who looked great in the combine is Chris Godwin (6'1" 208 lbs 4.53 40). Unlike Jones he may be there for us at our first or maybe even our second third round pick.

If we do not take a receiver in round one would you target Jones, Godwin, or someone else in this draft?

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I have only seen Williams and Godwin play, i do like Godwin a lot as he was a presence on the field, my only concern with him is his lack of breakaway speed. That being said, I would have no problems if the Jets selected Godwin.

James Hasty likes this.
  3. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

I would love to land zay jones in the 3rd. Im honestly not sure he gets out of round 2 tho

James Hasty likes this.
  4. I like both guys but neither in round 1. Both are 2-3 rounders. Davis,Williams & Ross are the WRs to consider in rd 1.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Both freaking catch anything thrown in their direction. Personally, I like Godwin more as I have watched plenty of Penn State, but you really can't go wrong with either.

James Hasty likes this.
  6. James Hasty

Don't care about the first rounders.

I am looking to build a mock and I want to talk about other WRs.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Honestly I've ignored the WRs as I see greater needs at other positions, but really, getting a good, dependable WR in the draft would be a big plus, and both those guys fit that bill.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. James Hasty

Getting a #1 or 2 WR in the draft could mean cutting Decker with his busted hip and having $5.5 mil to spend elsewhere.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, I was agreeing with you, and knocking my own oversight. I would definitely prefer drafting one of these guys over keeping Decker who is a big question mark anyway.

James Hasty likes this.
  10. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Jones reminds me of jarvis landry a bit. Dudes just rack up catches

James Hasty likes this.
  11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Both kids are good. Godwin burned USC's Jackson multiple times in the Rose Bowl.

James Hasty likes this.
  12. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Zay jones is a beast

James Hasty likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It depends of course on what happens in FA, whether I stayed put at #6 and at #38 or traded down, how I had the WRs rated in the draft, what I was leaning towards doing with Decker and Harris, and how I viewed Peake's and Smith's potential.

For certain, I think Mac needs to come out of FA and the draft with an LT, a QB, 2 TEs, at least one OG, a C, a RB, an ILB, 2 CBs, a FS, a FB, and a kicker. That's 13 players and the Jets only have 7 draft picks and limited cap space. That makes WR much less of a priority even with B. Marshall gone, Decker coming off injury, D. Smith a big question mark, and J. Marshall suspended for the first 4 games. If there was a WR that I had rated head and shoulders above the prospects at any other position at that point in the draft, and I couldn't trade down, I'd take one, but would hope that I didn't need to.

14. NCJetsfan

While that is true and is a good point, Decker is a good WR and he could help mentor not only the young WRs but the QBs and help them a lot and be a leader on offense. The problem is that there are no guarantees that the Jets will be able to trade down or trade Richardson, and they only have 7 draft picks. I'm not sure you could get an up and coming WR in FA for $5.5 million. For every additional veteran the Jets cut, while they gain additional cap space, it creates another hole. If the Jets sign a FA QB and pay him $10-$12 million per season and an LT for $6-$10 million per season, that's not going to leave a lot to fill all the holes.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Wait ...let me get this straight the depth chart is filled with young promising receivers from Enunwa Anderson Peake and adderal JMarshall plus old reliable Decker

Someone wants to draft a WR...yah that makes a lot of sense

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

There's no guarantee that J Marshall or Decker will be around next year, Decker is probably going to get hurt again, and J Marshal might be released.

It really depends on how the draft board develops as well.

If Godwin is there in the later rounds I don't see why the jets shouldn't draft him. He is a good football player.

joe, James Hasty and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I can understand their thinking. If Decker isn't the same receiver when he is healthy, then that leaves Enunwa as the only proven WR. Anderson is getting there and probably will. Peake is only potential at this point. He hasn't proven anything. Neither has J. Marshall, and he unless he appeals and it is overturned, will miss the first 4 games of the season. Neither has D. Smith and he has had problems staying healthy. Perish the thought, but injuries happen and 1-2 of those young, promising WRs could suffer an injury in TC. Do you really think it's wise to go into the season with maybe only 3 WRs (Enunwa, Anderson and Peake)? Even if Decker and Smith are healthy and back to normal, that's only 5 WRs. What if Peake and D. Smith don't develop and J. Marshall can't over come his fumbling? That would leave Enunwa, Anderson and Decker.

18. James Hasty

If we are not shooting our wad and taking a WR at #6 where is the harm in bringing in some young talent at the position. Also, if we get first round talent in round two through five with one of these kids I doubt you will complain when they catch a game winning TD,

19. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Zay Jones is an intriguing prospect. I didn't know anything about him before the Senior Bowl, but he was really good during that week. Another WR to consider in the 2nd round, if the team goes in that direction, is Kupp.

James Hasty likes this.