Zach Wilson vs Philly: A Breakdown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Oct 25, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Sorry for the delay on this one folks. Got married on Saturday so last week was a bit chaotic haha I started this last Tuesday but wasn't able to finish it until this morning.

As I said in the game thread, I felt like Zach was meh against the Eagles watching the game live.

After watching these plays again, I feel like a few mistakes kept this from being a solid-good game for Zach. I also felt like the OL and WRs let him down as well in a few crucial moments which could've also elevated this game for him but those types of things are to be expected for almost any NFL offense.

Let's get into it...(as always, link to every pass from Zach here)

1st Quarter:
    15:00, 1st & 10:
    Jets come out in 12 personnel. Looks to be a quick outs play. Zach leads Lazard a little too much to the sideline as he runs an out from the left side of the formation, incomplete. (0-1)

14:19, 1st & 10:
    13 personnel. GW, coming from the left side of the formation, runs a sit down over the middle. Zach rips it to him on time. Gain of 5. (1-2, 5 yards)

3:04, 1st & 10:
    12 personnel, empty set, trips right. Seems to almost be a quick bubble screen to Breece from the left side of the empty set. These are the only types of plays I want us to run out of empty sets going forward, as they're the only ones that work. Gain of 6. (2-3, 11 yards)

2:31, 2nd & 4:
    11 personnel, empty set, trips right again. GW runs a slant from the slot on the left side of the formation, nice throw and catch. Gain of 7. (3-4, 18 yards)

1:56, 1st & 10:
    11 personnel, 2x2. Cobb comes in motion left to right. Bubble screen to Cook out of the backfield. Cobb inexplicably tried to block someone that's already engaged by Irv Charles. Cook makes a man miss and then goes out of bounds. Gain of 2. (4-5, 20 yards)

0:41, 1st & 10:
    PA pass, GW runs a slant from the left side of the formation. Zach throws it a tad too high but GW is able to bring it down. Would like for Zach to lead GW here a little more and give him a better YAC opportunity but it's a first down so can't complain too much. Gain of 15. (5-6, 35 yards)

2nd Quarter:
    15:00, 1st & 10:
    11 personnel, 2x2. Seems like Conklin runs a fade from the slot while Charles runs a go from the outside on the left side of the formation. Decent concept to try and make the deep safety choose someone. Zach fires it down the sideline to Conklin but sends it a little too wide of the mark and Conklin can't come down with it. I like the decision here by Zach though, he's got Conklin singled up against Blankenship and this is the time to take a shot, we had just crossed inside Philly's 40 yard line, but Zach needs to throw this ball more inside to give Conklin a realistic chance to come down with it. Incomplete. (5-7, 35 yards)

14:54, 2nd & 10:
    11 personnel, empty set, trips right. This is the play where GW got caught up in the turf and it feels like he's Zach's primary read on either a sit down or potentially a zig out, but when there's nothing there with GW, Zach takes off. Can't see what else is open downfield but Zach turns it into a 9 yard gain to set up 3rd & 1. No complaints. (5-7, 35 yards, 1 rush, 9 yards)

14:16, 1st & 10:
    11 personnel, trips bunch right. Hardman is singled up against Bradberry on the left side of the formation and I'm not a huge fan of the decision here by Zach. I'm sure this play is really designed for GW but he never looks away from his primary read (Hardman instead of GW) while he runs a 5-6 yard out and Bradberry makes a good break on the ball and is close to picking it. He doesn't and Hardman really should've caught this so it ended up being a good ball from Zach but it falls incomplete. (5-8, 35 yards, 1 rush, 9 yards)

13:20, 3rd & 10:
    11 personnel, Conklin goes in motion from left to right to make it trips right pre-snap. Designed boot right, might be a flood concept but it's hard to tell from this angle. Seems like Zach doesn't see anything open so he just chucks it OOB to the first row. Solid decision on 3rd down IMO, can't take a sack and potentially fall out of FG range. (5-9, 35 yards, 1 rush, 9 yards)

10:01, 2nd & 13:
    11 personnel, Conklin goes in motion right to left to make 2x2. GW is Zach's primary read here but the underneath zone defender muddies the throwing lane up. Zach tries to take off but gets sacked for a 1 yard loss. (5-9, 35 yards, 1 rush, 9 yards)

9:18, 3rd & 13:
    11 personnel, empty set, trips right. Not sure on the routes here but Zach doesn't see anything and takes off for a gain of 8. (5-9, 35 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

8:32, 4th & 5:
    11 personnel, trips left. I'm guessing that all of the routes from the left side terminated over on the left side. That's the only reason I can come up with as to why Zach throws this ball to Conklin. Still, it's a bad decision that's made even worse by a bad play call and bad blocking up front. Regardless, there's no way you can throw the ball short of the sticks on 4th down, it's inexcusable IMO. Gain of 4. (6-10, 39 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

5:32, 1st & 10:
    12 personnel. PA pass where GW runs a crosser from right to left. Bad throw by Zach here, he sails the ball a little too much and throws it short of where GW ends up. He needs to stick this ball to GW as it looks like he's got his man beat. (6-11, 39 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

5:26, 2nd & 10:
    11 personnel. The patented Conklin shake route. Love these things. Conklin runs it from the left side of the formation for a gain of 14. Well done. (7-12, 53 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

4:10, 1st & 10:
    13 personnel. Uzomah comes in motion left to right. PA pass. Breece runs a sit down after taking the play fake and Zach hits him quickly. Well done by both. Gain of 25. (8-13, 78 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

3:28, 1st & 10:
    13 personnel again. This looks like an out an up by GW on the left side of the formation, singled up against Bradberry. Good decision by Zach, take as many 1 on 1 opps to GW as you can, but this ball needs to better more towards the sideline. Not horribly inaccurate but not great either. Zach can do better. Incomplete. (8-14, 78 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

3:23, 2nd & 10:
    11 personnel, 2x2. This play felt weird during the game. Seems like Uzomah is running a slant from the slot on the left side of the formation and runs directly into Blankenship. Seems like Zach is expecting him to either sit down or turn the slant into another whip route out towards the sideline but either way seems like a miscommunication between Zach and CJ. Incomplete. (8-15, 78 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

3:18, 3rd & 10:
    11 personnel, empty set, trips right. Zach doesn't have a ton of time and it seems like no one is open so he takes a sack. This is why I'm not a huge fan of these empty sets, especially on 3rd and long. Feels like the OL can never go 1 on 1 for long enough for the play to develop. (8-15, 78 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

1:40, 1st & 10:
    11 personnel, trips bunch right. GW runs a slant from the left side of the formation. Zach fires it on time and right into his chest. Gain of 11. Well done. (9-16, 89 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

1:09, 1st & 10:
    11 personnel, 2x2. Little slip screen to Breece but Philly sniffs it out quickly. Breece tries to make something out of nothing but loses 2 yards. (10-17, 87 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

0:56, 1st & 10:
    11 personnel, 2x2. GW runs a curl from the left side of the formation. Zach hits him on time for a gain of 9. (11-18, 96 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

0:36, 1st & 20:
    After Holding on Schweitzer, Jets come out in 11 personnel, 2x2. Zach gets pressure quickly and scrambles out of the pocket. He makes a throw to Cobb but he either lost his grip on the ball or it got tipped, not sure. Incomplete. (11-19, 96 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

0:29, 2nd & 20:
    11 personnel, trips bunch right. Cobbs runs sort of a pigtail in from the inside slot on the trips side. Zach throws it a little behind him but this is still one Cobb needs to catch. Would've set us up with a manageable 3rd down opportunity. Incomplete. (11-20, 96 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

First Half Breakdown:
    This stat line isn't going to blow anyone away but I think overall it's another meh half of ball from Zach. A couple of bad throws but not a ton of bad decisions IMO (the Conklin throw short of the sticks on 4th and the throw to Hardman are the only 2 that come to mind). If his decision-making process continues to stay at an above average level, the accuracy will come.

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

3rd Quarter:
    11:17, 1st & 10:
    12 personnel, singleback. Essentially a shot play, looks like Lazard and GW run go's of the snap and Ruckert runs a post from the inline TE spot. These are the throws that give you hope with Zach. Could maybe say this was slightly underthrown but Zach throws the ball up to GW down the near sideline and GW does GW things and makes a hell of a play on the ball for a gain of 33. Would like to see Hackett incorporate a few more of these going forward, especially considering the level of defenses we're about to play. (12-21, 129 yards, 2 rushes 17 yards)

10:07, 2nd & 1: 21 personnel, offset I, twins right. PA pass. Looks like a sort of bench concept from Lazard and GW, neither of which get open so as the pocket starts to collapse around Zach, he just flips it to his checkdown (Breece) who scampers for a gain of 15. Great pocket awareness from Zach. (13-22, 144 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

8:52, 2nd & 8: 12 personnel, singleback. One of my favorite plays from Zach the whole game. Gets Philly to jump, snaps the ball, and gets the free play. Zach stays within the pocket and eventually finds GW on a crosser going right to left. Not the best ball from Zach as it's a little behind GW but GW does GW things, again, and catches the ball, makes his man miss and goes for a gain of 25 down to the 9 yard line. This is the Lazard crackback block that we've all discussed ad nauseam on here. Nullifies the play and sets us back 15 yards. (13-22, 144 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

8:27, 2nd & 23: 11 personnel, empty set, 3x2. Lazard runs a curl route from the left side of the formation, Zach throws the ball on time right into his chest. Drop. Back-to-back, drive crushing plays by Lazard. Instead of 1st & Goal from the 9, we're now at 3rd & 23 at midfield, absolutely brutal. (13-23, 144 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

8:20, 3rd & 23: 11 personnel, 2x2. Seems to be all slants with Breece running a sit-down out from the backfield. Zach hits Breece for a gain of 10. Not many plays in the playbook for 3rd & 23. (14-24, 154 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

4:58, 2nd & 7: 11 personnel, trips bunch right. PA boot back to the right. Zach tries to hit Cobb running an out from the outside of the trips. Seems to be an accurate ball but the CB makes a good play and breaks it up. (14-25, 154 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

4:51, 3rd & 7: 11 personnel, trips right. Lazard runs a slant from the middle of the trips formation, right to left. Zach fires a good ball in there and Lazard pulls it in for a gain of 8. Good throw and catch. (15-26, 162 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

2:19, 1st & 10: 11 personnel, starts as trips left but Conklin comes in motion left to right to make a 2x2. GW runs a hitch from the outside on the right side of the formation. Zach hits him quickly and on time. Gain of 5. Well done to stay ahead of the stick. (16-27, 167 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

1:39, 2nd & 5: 11 personnel, starts as trips right but Cobbs comes in motion right to left to make it 2x2 again. PA boot to the left side but Zach's got nothing and is immediately swallowed up by Reddick for a loss of 12. Bad play design or a miscommunication. There's got to be a hot read out in the left flat for Zach to hit if someone is in his face immediately. (16-27, 167 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

0:54, 3rd & 17: 11 personnel, 2x2. Zach tries to hit GW running a fade/go into the EZ. Not the best ball from Zach, it should've been more to the sideline, but I like the decision. Give GW another opp to be GW and make a great play. Just didn't happen. Incomplete. (16-28, 167 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

4th Quarter:
    13:42, 1st & 10:
    11 personnel, trips bunch right. PA pass. I think if Zach had another second, he would've hit GW on his crosser for a good gain but Becton got beat inside by Sweat and sacks Zach. (16-28, 167 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

13:04, 2nd & 16: 11 personnel, trips right. Nothing flashy but I love this from Zach. Pocket collapsing around him and he stands strong and delivers a good ball to Conklin on a slant/in from the right side of the formation. These are the types of plays I would point to when I say things like, "I think Zach's pocket pressence/awareness is better". I think last year Zach tries to scramble out of this muddy pocket and takes a sack instead of standing strong inside of the pocket and throwing this ball. Gain of 6. (17-29, 173 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

12:17, 3rd & 15: 11 personnel, trips right. False start moved us back 5 from the previous play. Zach tries to hit MC on an in from the backfield. It's a good ball from Zach but MC drops it, woof. (17-30, 173 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

7:36, 2nd & 7: 12 personnel, 2x2. PA boot to the right. Zach delivers a good ball to Ruckert with a man in his face. Ruckert goes for a gain of 8. Well done. This is what should've happened on the boot play in the RZ earlier. There HAS to be a hot read on these types of plays. (18-31, 181 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

6:51, 1st & 10: 13 personnel, singleback. Quick read to GW on the left side. Zach throws it to him at the LOS. GW makes Bradberry miss for a gain of 5. (19-32, 186 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

5:31, 3rd & 7: 11 personnel, trips right. Unsure of the route concept but Reddick beats Mitchell so quickly that it probably wouldn't have mattered. Sack. (19-32, 186 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

1:46, 2 PT Attempt: 11 personnel, starts as trips right but Cobb comes in motion right to left to make it 2x2. Finds Cobb in the middle of the EZ for a successful 2 PT attempt. One of Zach's better plays of the night IMO. He retreats just enough within the pocket to buy his receivers more time but keeps his eyes downfield and doesn't look to scramble. Changes his arm angle and delivers a perfect ball to Cobb. Beautiful. (19-32, 186 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)

Half by Half Stat Breakdown:

1st Half:
    11-20, 96 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards

2nd Half:
    8-12, 90 yards

Total:
    19-32, 186 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards

Brook! likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

TLDR; This was another meh game from Zach. He wasn't helped on a few occasions by drops but he also had some bad balls. This best thing about these last few games for Zach IMO is that I'm not seeing many bad decisions and as I said in the "First Half Breakdown" section, if he keeps making good decisions, the accuracy will come. Another positive is that the schedule, on paper, starts to ease up a bit over the next month or so when it comes to the defenses that we'll be playing. If Zach can play like he has for the last month or so, I totally expect to see some better "box score games" from Zach over the next month or so.

If he can just play at this level for the rest of the year, I expect us to be in the playoffs. Now it's on him to stay at this level or continue to improve.

Pepsiguy5, Brook!, burf and 5 others like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Come on now, this is no excuse, I expect better than that, very disappointing!

Seriously though, congratulations and lifetime of happiness!

Pepsiguy5, burf, Jets79 and 7 others like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Thanks my friend!

I really did try to get this done last week. I got through the first half on Tuesday afternoon after work before the soon-to-be Mrs. got home but from that point until Saturday, it was all wedding. Then we stayed in Asheville for a few extra days after the wedding so it didn't feel right to try and sneak away from her to finish this up haha

Luckily we had the BYE week so there's still time to discuss Zach's performance before our matchup with the Giants on Sunday!

Borat, NCJetsfan and dawinner127 like this.
  6. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Love it. Great job.

When you say meh ... is that relative to expectations as a #2 pick, or relative to expectations as a backup thrust into a starting role?

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Priorities! Where's your sense of priority?:p Of course all of us who have been married know exactly where they lie! "Yes Dear. I'll be right there Dear!".:p

All kidding aside, another great breakdown. If you ever get the time to put your comments to the video, you'd have a hell of a podcast! But still, these breakdowns are great.

And I know what you mean by a "meh" game from Zach, but considering who he was playing against, I think it's above "meh". Also, considering how many QBs this season - even supposedly good/great QBs - have been struggling and having even less than "meh" games, I think the way we evaluate QB may need some adjustments. In any case, Zach does need to elevate his game, especially in the RZ, and especially racking up a few 300+ yard, multi TD games to get over the hump. As much of a believer in his potential as I am, I still can't say he's certain to deliver this until he actually does.

barfolomew, NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What you mean?

Versus the Eagles
    Howell 29/41, 290 yards, 1 TD, no turnovers
    Stafford 21/37, 222 yards, 2 TDs, no turnovers
    Kirk 31/44, 364 yards, 4 TDs, 1 fumble lost
    Tua 23/32, 216 yards, 1TD, 1 interception
    Baker 15/25, 146, 1 TD, 1 interception

They haven’t exactly been dominating. They’ve allowed the 4th most passing touchdowns in the league and tied for second to last in interceptions.

Jets69 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

congrats man!

always appreciate your effort and insight too!

Jets79, NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Honestly, neither. Though I would say it's probably closer to the latter than the former. He's 2 1/2 years removed now from being the #2 overall pick and he hasn't played to that level, other than maybe a handful of games. Which is why my expectations for him after the Rodgers injury was to just be an adequate-level starter (20th-ish overall). I think he's been around or above that level for the last 3 games. I would really love to see more Chiefs-type games from him over the next month as the schedule opens up a bit.

GasedAndConfused and rscherwin like this.
  11. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Late again. Excellent work as always.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Congrats, KY! I hope that you two will be blessed with many happy, healthy years together, and as many children as you want.

As always, great write up and analysis.

With regards to the following play late in the 3rd Qtr., Sanchez said that the intended receiver (Ruckert) ran the wrong route, so Zach had nowhere to go with the ball. I think this was a heady play by Zach. It clearly looks to me that he thought about throwing the ball away, but then realized that he wouldn't have time to get the ball away securely out of bounds before getting hit and that could result in a strip sack or the ball flying up in the air and being intercepted. He took the sack knowing that they could still get 3 points. I agree that it is a dumb play design, as there is only one receiver option, and if either the receiver runs the wrong route or the best pass rusher is out there and on Zach quickly (as Riddick was), it's asking for trouble. In addition, it's a more difficult throw for a right handed QB to have to run left and then either stop and set his feet or throw across his body on the run. Fortunately the same play to the right worked and Zach was able to get the ball over the pass rusher to his receiver.

"1:39, 2nd & 5: 11 personnel, starts as trips right but Cobbs comes in motion right to left to make it 2x2 again. PA boot to the left side but Zach's got nothing and is immediately swallowed up by Reddick for a loss of 12. Bad play design or a miscommunication. There's got to be a hot read out in the left flat for Zach to hit if someone is in his face immediately. (16-27, 167 yards, 2 rushes, 17 yards)"

KY Jets Fan and rscherwin like this.
  13. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Agree on opening up the playcalling. Congrats on getting married!

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I didn't view this as a bad play for Zach. It was bad play design or a miscommunication between Zach and Ruckert (or someone else).

The "hot read" is supposed to be there in case what happened on that play actually happens. I have no issues with having other receivers on routes because if Reddick bites hard on the play action, Zach's got all day back there, can reset his feet, and find the open guy. You HAVE to have someone in the flat there for him though.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

throwing a 4 yard pass on 4th and 5 is just as bad as throwing an interception

KY Jets Fan and SOJAZ like this.
  16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I remember screaming from the stands. Conklins route was short of the sticks. I'm not really going to harp on zach for this. He isn't going to throw all the way across his body in this situation and he's flushed out right. It was super close, but Conklin has to know to get beyond the sticks. Also maybe not get blown up by a LB lol

[​IMG]

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't blame Zach for that one, he threw to a receiver who was at the sticks while he was under pressure and got it to where the LB didn't get to it. That same player dragged half the Broncos defense 10 yards last week.

18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Congrads on the wedding I guess I missed that.... God Bless your new family.

KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

in the case of that play, it happened again later on but to the right side instead of the left and he hit ruckert for a short game. the problem with naked bootlegs is if the D snifs it and the DE makes a play at it, the QB more times then not has to eat the sack and it's his best option. sometimes they can get a ball out throwing around the defender to a short route TE. I watched philly do something similar this past week and hurts threw a pick 6 on it when he should have ate it

20. GasedAndConfused

that was conklins fault IMO. I mean really it was a good play by the defender but it's his job as the route runner to get to the sticks. it also looks liek zach only had the 1 option. the isue is the defender pancaked him and trhew off the timing. by the time he got up he didn't have time to get enough depth and probably wasn't fully aware. he was also tightly covered. Really the D just called the right play and executed it perfectly.