Zach Wilson path to NYJ worst kept secret

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjetsgreen, May 8, 2021.

1. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

That was a really good article. I liked how Douglas scouted him since October. In other words, the cabal of other NFL GM's didn't send out misinformation to steer Douglas towards Wilson. He was on the Wilson train long before Wilson became the media darling.

Noam likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Oh my god the trolling, oh my mercy

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Nailed it!

[​IMG]

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We were terrible at keeping a major decision secret and that is somehow spun into a positive thing.

At least it didn't help our opponents.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Despite what the headline said, no one actually knew what Douglas was going to do. Just because his ultimate decision lined up with the rumors doesn't prove anyone (aside from his inner circle) knew he was going to take Wilson until he did.

SOJAZ and bicketybam like this.
  9. legler82

That’s spin. Everyone knew.

10. ColoradoContrails

Prove it.

11. legler82

It’s already proven. If no one knew who the Jets were drafting, then might as well say no one knew who the Jaguars were drafting too.

#11 legler82, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Jets69 and Noam like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Sorry, that doesn't prove it.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It was widely reported (and doubted by myself) for a month+. Everyone banged my head into the door telling me it was a done deal and it appears I was wrong.

Now it's refuted?

I'm conflicted as to if I think it's that big of a deal, but as a whole I'd prefer it to have been a bigger mystery so the Phins couldn't have made the move they did. Probably would've happened anyway though. @ouchy made a pretty compelling argument as to why we should've kept it a bigger secret though.

#13 Jonathan_Vilma, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 8, 2021
    abyzmul likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Who the hell cares if everyone knew? We had the second pick. Some people will whine about anything.

15. ColoradoContrails

I'm just saying that the claim "everybody knew it" is false. Maybe some believed they knew it, but until Douglas actually made the pick there was speculation.

KingRoach likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

What would have been the negative? Jaguars find out our secret and draft Zach instead of Lawrence to spite us, so we end up with Trevor instead? Us Jets fans always find a reason to complain :)

No, there was no argument. Just something to complain about that wasn't worth complaining.

PJ4Ever, dmw and Noam like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Are you guys ever going to be done complaining about opposing views or what? It's not even complaining anymore, it's a bunch of crybabies that can't handle an opposition.

If you don't want to discuss it, that's fine. I don't think we need anymore garbage posts like this whining about it like a little girl.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Look in the mirror, that's what you have been doing for a while now - whining and complaining non stop. About Wilson, the stadium, some allegedly leaked info. I just asked what would have been the negative, since there was no argument at all for that, and you are having a meltdown. Get yourself together.

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I think Douglas was pretty set on Wilson by the time Miami made the deal with the Niners. Even if the Niners had approached Douglas with the same offer, I'm pretty confident that he would have said no. Douglas had been trying to trade Darnold at that point and Sam had just finished 3 years of poor play. It wasn't a stretch to predict that they were going to draft his replacement. Staying at 2 was the only way the Jets were guaranteed to get the QB that they wanted. Douglas only had interest in 2 QB's and Lawrence was 100% going to Jax (and if Jax did take someone else it would be Wilson, guaranteeing the Jets would get Lawrence.) So the only true way to hide their intentions would be to hang onto Darnold through the draft and with his draft value already not being great, it would have only gotten worse. Carolina would have probably picked Fields if they hadn't traded for Darnold. Does Chicago panic and make a trade once Fields gets picked? I'm not sure. I don't think they were ever seriously in the Darnold market.

Anyway, I'm not sure if expertly hiding their intentions at 2 would have made much of a difference. Maybe SF talks to the Jets first but I'm pretty sure they would have said no. Miami was always going to have suitors for the #3 pick since they made it clear they were set on Tua. So I am just not seeing it. My opinion.

KingRoach, blackssmagic, Noam and 2 others like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

I've worked for several decent sized corporations in my life and its a tactic by upper management to position things that employees bring to them as 'negative' or 'complaining,' when they do not want to address it.

This is exactly what you and a couple of other folks here have done everything something is brought to their attention that they don't want to address.

If you don't want to discuss it, then perhaps don't? 90% of the stadium thread agrees in some way, shape or form that they do not like the stadium situation. You're the anomaly on that topic.

It's going to be a long off-season with all of the complaints about opposition views. The internet must be a tough place for you if you feel the need to be insulated with similar viewpoints at all times.