Zach Wilson is the Leader the Jets Need

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, May 9, 2021.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson has and is demonstrating that he has a passion for the game and wants to lead the entire Jets football team.

We know Sam loved the game, but did he enjoy studying film? Does he seem like the type of guy that spent hours upon hours studying film?

I don't want this to turn into a Sam Darnold vs Zach Wilson debate, but to put it simply...I think Zach is the leader on offense and at QB that this team has needed since the Chad Pennington days. Chad was a true leader and Zach gives off vibes that he can become like Chad.

If you watch, hope you enjoy TGG :D

Happy Mother's Day!

2. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Don’t pay attention to all the fluff. The same stuff was being said about Darnold three years ago. I remember reading about him spending time in the film room on his 21st birthday (blah blah blah).

Ultimately what matters is how Wilson performs on Sundays and his expectations are going to be greater than Darnold as a rookie given his supporting cast.

My hope is that the Jets bring in a legit veteran and hold a real QB competition. If the kid isn’t ready right now let him sit for a few weeks.

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with being excited about Wilson. I love his leadership skills and the way he approaches leadership is different from Sam’s.

Don’t really remember articles about Sam and film study. This isn’t really about Sam though.

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Darnold was never a leader here. Part of that’s on Gase in my opinion but at the end of the day Darnold had to figure out how to lead and fire up his offense.

I don’t think anyone on O saw him that way. I don’t think they ever really trusted him. When Winters (I think) cursed him out after a bad play it spoke volumes.

Thankfully Wilson’s situation looks better from top to bottom. Hopeful that he’ll take advantage of it quickly.

#4 Jets81, May 9, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A bit late on the Happy Mothers Day been and gone ages ago in the UK lol ;)

Royal Tee and PennyandtheJets like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Happy Day to all you mothers!

Noam and PennyandtheJets like this.
  7. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Ok Sam is gone!! I didn’t like the move because he didn’t get a fair chance here with terrible coaching and talent around him...But I’ve excepted that Wilson is our QB1 and wish him the best .. we have has many believe the right HC and GM.. in my opinion Sam was a good trooper didn’t bad mouth the organization and did as he was told.....can we show a little class and not trash the guy out the door!! He’s gone!!! ...... let’s go Wilson

J-Raw24, barfolomew, rinvesto and 6 others like this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We have no idea what kind of leader Zach will be. He has not even had a practice with the entire team. Heck, he has not even met the team yet.

Let's be excited but give the kid a break. He does have the advantage of having a very young offense. Beckton, Mom's, Carter, AVT, Moore. The foundation is all 1st and second year players.

9. NCJetsfan

He got a fair chance. That rhetoric needs to stop. Sam wasn't a helpless victim. He is an adult (or is supposed to be). He was supposed to be a leader. He could have fixed his footwork and accuracy working with his QB coach. He could have worked smarter and harder at fixing reading Ds and his decision making. He could have gotten in Gase's and players' faces. He never did. He'd just sulk on the sidelines.

I think the bottom line is that you and many other Jets fans bought hook, line and sinker in the hype that he was this great QB prospect, and he really wasn't. He had all those same negative issues at USC. His last year at USC was his worst year. He didn't show progress, he regressed when other teams had seen film on him and knew how to defend him. Unless something dramatic happens with him at Carolina, I will go to my grave believing that he didn't have the football IQ or instincts or leadership to ever be a topnotch QB. I couldn't be happier that he is gone. I never really wanted him in the first place.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Happy Mother's Day to Zach Wilson's Mom! :)

11. NCJetsfan

Us discussing whether he has leadership skills or has exhibited them already doesn't have any impact or put any pressure on Zach. As PennyandtheJets so clearly and well points out, Zach had great leadership at BYU and is already showing signs of leadership here reaching out to his teammates, getting them fired up, and wanting to organize their working out together before they come back for OTAs.

12. jetstopgun

So the deal is guys like you will continue to trash him on the way out the door that shows a lot of class... Why not just say it didn’t work out I wish him the best

13. NCJetsfan

I don't consider it "trashing" him. IMO I'm just telling it like it is. What does "class" have to do with it? I'm not contacting him in person and telling him that he doesn't have what it takes.

For that matter, why didn't you just say that "it just didn't work out" instead of you "didn't like the move because he didn't get a fair chance"? It's not personal with me. I'm sorry that it didn't work out. It would have been better for the Jets if Sam is as good as many posters thought and had developed, then JD could have traded down and added a lot more talent to the team, or he could have stayed put and take a WR like Chase or a TE like Pitts or a LB like Parsons. I like Sam as a person. I just didn't like him as the Jets' QB. Just as when he was the Jets's QB, I'm rooting for him to prove me wrong, to develop and have a great career. I just don't think it will happen.

#13 NCJetsfan, May 9, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Ray Lucas and Borat like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call comparing Wilson's energy to Sam's is "trashing" Darnold. Penny's just making a contrast between the two. Yes, he does go on to say that Zach shows a level of energy and leadership that Sam didn't, but again, that's not bad-mouthing Sam IMO.

And yes, maybe it's a bit premature to declare that Wilson is "the leader the Jets have been lacking" since he hasn't even yet met or worked with any of the vets, but I do think it shows that Zach has the assertiveness needed to be that leader. I also think that aside from his more vocal style, it's his work ethic that will make the difference in the end. Being a film junkie, and never being satisfied with his performance will send a clear message to the rest of the team. Finally, people who are ADHD/OCD like he apparently is usually don't care what other people think of them, they're hyper-focused on the task at hand, and don't waste energy and thought on how people react to them. I'll risk pissing you off by saying that Sam seemed to care what other people thought of him - he wanted to be liked. As a QB/General you can't worry about that, you just have to do what needs to be done. If that's how Wilson is - and I believe he is based on what I've seen and read of him - then yes, he will be the leader the Jets have needed for so long.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

One of my favorite Jets memories is Chad's debut against the Chiefs. He was so fired up that it fired me up as a fan, more than I had ever been up to that point. The Jets lost the game, but the energy and enthusiasm that Chad brought changed that team. They ended up going on a run and winning the AFC East. Still probably my favorite season as a Jets fan.

If Zach Wilson can do something similar, it would be great for this franchise and this fanbase.

16. jetstopgun

You skipped over the fact that I said that I’ve excepted that Wilson is our quarterback and I am cheering for him to succeed...I’m sorry but we feel differently on this.. but that’s over now Sam is gone why are we still talking about him and trashing his name??..I believe Sam will get the fair chance and coaching that he never got here in Carolina..... It’s like trashing ex girlfriend or ex-wife...Im think about Sheldon Richardson, Mohamed Wilkinson ,Jamal Adams those three young men Embarrassed the Organization on the way out the door...Sam didn’t do that.... let’s just showed the same dignity and wish him the best!

rinvesto and Noam like this.
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Its funny because when comparing Sam's demeanor to Wilson, Sam seems morbid. No offense to SAM that is just who he is and so be it... Wilson is different and it shows. You could see the difference when at his announcement at the Draft he is high fiving fans. That was sweet and IMHO need for this abused fan base.

I have to agree we needed someone - anyone (hopefully CS and QB) - to come in and fire up the troops. After the last two HC this team was DOA on most Sundays... Frankly, I don't give a rats ass about anything more then W vs. L. That is the bottom line for me... If Wilson's character and idiosyncrasies help our new HC implement a winning culture great (God knows this team needs it), lets just hope it translates to wins.

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit like Adam Gase. All the pictures you’d see of him by himself, the stories about leaving his wife during labor, etc.

I’ve seen Wilson smile, though, so I know he’s not an automaton.

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

+1

Pennington was definitely a leader. I really miss that guy and wish it had worked out for him and the Jets. Him juking a defender and running in for a score on the left side of the end zone is forever etched in my brain.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well as you noted, Zach is nowhere near the level of Gase, but that's what I was referring to. I do think Zach likes people, but he's just more focused on being the best he can be.

Jets81 likes this.