Zach Wilson better than Lawrence?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ColoradoContrails, Nov 29, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Okay, I posted this in the Burrow thread, but decided Wilson should get his own thread since I believe he might be a better prospect than Lawrence. With all due props to Zace for bringing him to my attention, here's what I've seen so far.

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/2020-nfl-season-week-12-jets-vs-dolphins.94733/page-32

Zach Wilson of BYU may be a better prospect than Lawrence or Fields, or anyone else for that matter. I did a little reading:

https://nflmocks.com/2020/10/25/zach-wilson-scouting-report-2021-nfl-draft-class/

and then watched this highlight video:

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/players/zach-wilson

and what I'm seeing and reading makes me think "Mahomes", although from what I watched he doesn't have quite the arm of Mahomes, even though it's damn good. EDIT: Adding link to an article making this same comparison.

https://kslsports.com/444089/patrick-mahomes-byu-zach-wilson/

His accuracy and ability to throw off the run and still have good mechanics is what reminds of Patrick. Yes, questionable strength of schedule, but he makes the plays, and has great accuracy. I'm going to try and find some more stuff on him, but Zace seems to know a lot more so maybe he can post some links/info. Also, would love to hear from legler and our other QB gurus. My initial impression though is he might well give us a chance to get a great QB AND trade back a bit for a haul of assets. That said, I wouldn't trade back past the 2nd pick if they really want him.

Okay Lawrence worshipers, lose your minds.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I think the draft forum is where this thread should go. Interesting topic though, and I too would like to know legler's take on Wilson.

3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Your mistake is saying Lawrence is a prospect. He's been NFL-ready since his Freshman year at Clemson.

Oh yeah, I'm not taking anymore West Coast QB's.

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Wilson is a good prospect no doubt. In terms of comparison to Lawrence, there are a few basic measurables to take a look at first.

Wilson: 6’3” 210 lbs
    Lawrence: 6’6” 220 lbs

Obviously you don’t take that alone into account.

Both took over starting as true freshmen, both had good freshman years.

Wilson’s Sophomore Slump: Injury issues 11/9 TD/INT ratio
    Lawrence’s Sophomore Slump: Undefeated until losing the National Championship.

Measurables: Lawrence
    Arm Talent: Lawrence
    General Athleticism: Lawrence
    Strength of Competition: Lawrence
    Winning Track Record: Lawrence
    Intangibles: Who is to say really?

This is not bashing Wilson, it’s just clear Lawrence is the superior prospect.

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Weve seen so many QBs from these power schools fail. Wilsons arm talent is just as good, if not better than lawrences. Hes def far more athletic than lawrence. Im not saying lawrence is bad, but wilson is just that good. He kinda snuck up on me. Just was watching film on a few college prospects when i came across him. I got curious so i started watching more.....hes good. Hes better than anybof the qbs that came out in Darnolds draft and maybe arguably better than lawrence. Time will tell but hes the real deal.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Like all prospects he has a lot to learn.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Some video to watch

8. ColoradoContrails

Good, concise breakdown. Thanks.

9. ColoradoContrails

I agree on the "more athletic than Lawrence". Not that Lawrence isn't, just that Wilson looks more so.

10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Agreed, like i was saying, im not saying oh lawrence sucks, i feel very good about him too, but i think zach wilson is going to be what we expected of darnold.

A player who is doing it now, but CAN get even better.

11. ColoradoContrails

Here's another video that isn't just highlights and cotton candy:

https://saintsreport.com/threads/zach-wilson-analysis-video-by-jt-o’sullivan.437548/

I'll be honest and say that it would take a HUGE pair of balls for Douglas to pass over Lawrence if he has the pick. I don't know if I could. But as I said, Wilson does remind me of Mahomes a lot, so that's a strong incentive. Then there's the aspect of if you could trade the #1 pick for a king's ransom AND take a talent like Wilson. He's a better bet to me than Fields.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Wilson is a solid prospect. He's a good ball distributor and really good with his legs with a big enough arm to get the ball down field. His question for me is zip on the ball. He floats a lot of balls outside the numbers and down the field and doesn't really display solid line drive throws in the place they need to be. His motion is a bit of a flick, which might be why he struggles with zip.

I don't want to knock the smaller conferences THAT much. Those boys play good football. But he and BYU has only really played one program that is a top 50-60 team in Boise State. And they ended up on their third string QB in that game so BYU really poured it on.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I find it encouraging that he goes through progressions and puts the ball in the right spot, so his receivers don't have to bail him out.

zace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. JetsKickAss

I haven't seen a single Mock Draft that has Zach Wilson in the Top 5.

If we screw up, win a few games, and fall to 2nd or 3rd or 4th in the draft, then yeah, maybe Zach Wilson is a great "prospect" at that slot.

But are you saying take him at #1 overall ?

15. JetsKickAss

But that's the thing that may have fooled us with Darnold (and Josh Rosen): the level of competition.

Clemson and Lawrence are facing SEC and ACC teams and all those great teams in the playoffs. These guys are playing out West and for the most part invisible since their teams aren't good enough to finish Top 4 for the BCS.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I got Wilson ahead of Fields but nowhere close to Trevor Lawrence c’mon man.

Why start a thread saying Wilson is better than Lawrence.. kinda trollish tbh...

if you want to start a discussion about the Kid why bring another prospect into it?

Anyways... my opinion is that he has good athleticism, moves well outside the pocket, accurate with the football. Reminds me of Josh Allen with his mobility and Kirk Cousins arm strength.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Pac-12 that Rosen and Darnold faced is far better (and relatively equal to the ACC Lawrence faces) than the independent schedule that Zach Wilson has played this year. Wilson played a bunch of the Pac-12 level of competition you're alluding to last year and threw 11 touchdowns/9 picks and looked lost last year with a similarly solid BYU roster.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah that level of Competition means what? How many starting SEC and ACC qbs do you see being successful in the NFL in the past decade....you can probably count it on 1 hand.

This is such a stupid meteic to measure anyone by. You play the teams on your schedule, thats all you do. He is blowing them out.

19. ColoradoContrails

I explained my reasons:

1. He reminds me of Mahomes.
    2. I'm not convinced that Lawrence is as good as he looks given the talent around him.

If that's "trollish" to you so be it.

20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Why not? We all agree lawrence is good, but he def has flaws including staring down receivers. Why would you think that Lawrence can overcome his flaws but Wilson cant?