Zach has higher ceiling than Sam, but will he reach it here?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jerryjeudy, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

So the question boils down to the same one that has haunted the Jets for decades

Can this organization develop a promising college QB drafted in the 1st round?

Ordinarily with some idiot like Schottenheimer calling the plays, the answer would be “No”

Ordinarily with a GM like Mac who doesn’t recognize the need to surround a young QB with a solid OL and WRs that can consistently gain separation, get open and catch the ball, the answer would be “No”

But with an entirely new offensive staff, at least this time around there’s a chance that Zach can be developed into a top QB

The raw talent is certainly there — gifted athlete, strong arm, accurate thrower of the football, off-platform wizard...

Needs further development in visual processing of field, switching from 1st/2nd option to 3rd/4th option, adjusting to tighter coverages and smaller windows in NFL — all are typical development issues facing college QBs transitioning into the NFL and are capable of being coached up IF the coaching staff is actually good

Joe D seems much more focused on the OL and WRs than prior GMs, so that’s a big plus

So does anyone have particular insight into the new offensive coaching staff... QB coach and OC in particular, as those will be the 2 guys most responsible for developing Zach?

Do you think Zach will be developed properly in 2021-2023?

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We failed to draft Jerry Jeudy. We're doomed.

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

The team and coaching around Zach is already better today than it was 3 years ago for Sam.

The offense line isn’t great but it’s probably no longer a bottom 5 unit and we will likely draft a Teven Jenkins and/or Creed Humphrey with the 23/34 picks. My hope/goal for the offensive line is they approach league average by the end of the season and we keep climbing. Compare that to our OL in 2018: Beachum, Spencer Long , She’ll, Carpenter and Winters.

That goes for skill positions too. Davis, Mims in year 2, and Crowder are superiror to Robby, Enunwa, Kearse, Pryor. While Robby was good, Enunwa couldn’t stay on the field and Kearse and Pryor were total JAGs. Tight end is a wash since it’s Herndon then vs Herndon now(though Herndon was terrible last year), but you have Eric Tomlinson which was a downgrade from Kroft. You could argue that Crowell and Powell were a better duo than what we got right now at RB but the difference shouldn’t be big especially because of Lafleurs system. Who knows what we do in the draft as well.

All in all this group is markedly better than 2018 but we are still not great either. While Wilson won’t be entering anything as bad as Darnold did, we need to continue to build the offense in this draft and beyond. We better not miss the opportunity to get Wilson weapons in the coming years.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The question you should be asking yourself is would we even be drafting a QB if Jerry Jeudy was a Jets wide receiver?

The Dark Knight, FJF and Cman68 like this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Jerry Jeudy unfortunately would not have have done much to move the needle last year. We had bad coaching and a bad roster. Sam looked awful as well. Going into year 2 I think Mims potential is nearly as exciting as Jeudy as both had impressive flashes during the year. Mims would have easily been a 1st round in an average receiver class and the fact that we got both a good receiver and a franchise left tackle is more impressive to me.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Does he though?

[​IMG]

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yes

KY Jets Fan and legler82 like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If he had Jerry Jeudy to throw to, there would be no doubt.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I’m excited about having 2 WRs in Davis & Mims that get after it in the running game in addition to being pretty good all around WRs.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  10. ZW has a higher floor for certain but higher ceiling? Have my doubts

legler82 likes this.
  11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Fair point. What about Fields floor? I could see that being the same as Sam's.

12. Hard to say bc so much is an unknown. Think its likely fair to lean that way but at the same time could easily make an argument Fields has a higher floor simply cause hes the kind of alpha/athlete that will always adapt & overcome

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We should see some improvement this year. Especially regarding the WR/RB/OL situation. If not, then ZW is in for a long season and most likely a shortened career if he remains with the Jets. Time will tell..

14. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Big jump when you come to the pros.

I would prefer they let the kid do what he does best.

Difficult when the shit moves so fast and the bodies are huge.

Brook! likes this.
  15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Wilson has a higher ceiling and floor. Sam sucked here.. his confidence is shattered.. Joe Brady has his work cut out for him to get him to play better than Teddy.. Teddy at least takes care of the rock.

Wilson will get a better opportunity because he has JD hitching his wagon to him and will surround him with talent

NYJetsO12, REVISion and Brook! like this.
  16. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

I like the Creed Humphrey idea. Keep stacking the oline for the QB.

KY Jets Fan and FJF like this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Can the Jets trade the #2 pick straight up for Jerry Jeudy? That is the real question we all want to know!

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I think Wilson/Fields will be a nice upgrade for our OL, which I’d expect to look a bit different next season. I’d love to see 2 starters, or at least 1 starter and 1 guy that can compete for a starting slot, come out of this draft, but a QB with better situation awareness and more athleticism could work wonders.

At this point I’ll take a guy who can be counted on to get the ball out on time and put it in the right place. A guy with an accurate deep ball (which Darnold doesn’t have) to keep a defense honest.

Macs treatment of the OL was absolutely disgraceful and (in my opinion) one of the most prominent reasons that we are where we are today, but Darnolds play didn’t help matters. The Jets own that as well.

I remember watching Darnold in his first season and being impressed by how well he felt pressure in the pocket. Compared it to 2 opposite magnets being pushed together - he just naturally and effortlessly moved in the opposite direction. Then he broke.

Next man up...

19. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don't think he has a higher ceiling at all. I think a Darnold had a sky high ceiling that he just couldn't reach here.

Its just going to come down to, can the Jets do for Wilson what they couldn't for Sam.

Sam just had bad season at a horrible time. Between the Jets picking second, his contract/option coming due, and this being a potentially strong QB class, he really didnt have a logistical chance.

This will be an interesting season for him. Good weapons, great running game, good OC. Sam could have a nice bounce back season.