Your Top 5 Games

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by The Predator, Jul 5, 2007.

1. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

So, what are everyone's top-5 games of all time? Any system you want, and I am counting a game series as only one entry.

1) Halo and Halo 2 - Awesome story, great graphics and gameplay, and the best multiplayer ever. My friends and I would play Halo 1 from 7 at night to 10 in the morning viz system link. We started out with two shitty TV's and a sheet stapled into the ceiling so no one could screen-watch. Eventually my friends parents finished their basement and bought a 60+ inch TV and two couches, we put our money together and bought another 40 something inch TV. Needless to say, they never got their basement back :lol: We still have Halo nights every month or so.

2) World of Warcraft - I always liked warcraft 1 and 2, but told myself I wouldn't turn into a nerd and play an online RPG. Well, I tried it out for a free 1 week trial, and was addicted soon after. Great gameplay, fun as all hell once you know what you're doing, and great if you know other people that play it as well.

3) Madden - Somehow I played it on Sega Genesis (I try to nowadays and have no f*cking clue how it works). Gave it up in favor of the 2K games on Dreamcast (best console ever IMO) but once that got discontinued I reverted back. It does continually piss me off with the lack of features they add, and it REALLY REALLY pissed me off when they got rid of the fantasy draft for tournaments with your friends two years ago. We used to have $100 round robin tourneys, all started off with like a 4 hour fantasy draft. Either way, I've just played it so much and still look forward to it every year that it has to be ranked up here.

4) Silver - A little known game on an underappreciated system (Dreamcast). An RPG that was just so fun since it wasn't turn-based combat, it was more along the lines of Ocarina of Time. Great characters, fun story, and even more fun fightign and switching between your party members to play with. Unfortunately I never got to beat it because the disk had a scratch in it near the very end of the game and I could never find another copy to buy or rent :mad:

5) Perfect Dark - This was a tough call between PD and Goldeneye. Goldeneye revolutionized the first person shooter, but Perfect Dark took it a step further. The single player campaign was great, and the multiplayer was even better. Each weapon having an alternate mode made the game open to so many different play styles. The fully customizable multiplayer is really what put this game over the edge - being able to pick your weapons, character, the endgame stats, etc. LONG LIVE THE LAPTOP GUN!!!!

Close Calls
    Pokemon Blue
    Goldeneye
    Mario Kart 64
    Twisted Metal and Twisted Metal 2
    Warcraft II
    NHL 98
    Street Fighter 2
    Mortal Kombat 1 and 2
    Streets of Rage 2
    God of War

#1 The Predator, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. Rhodes_25

Rhodes_25 New Member

It's all about madden and the other one would be old school mario on original nintendo thats kick ass

3. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

My top 5 (not in any specific order)
    1. Final Fantasy series(any of them) - The greatest RPG series of all-time
    2. Chrono Trigger/Cross - One of the greatest RPG series of all-time
    3. Madden - It's football in a video game
    4. Pokemon - Got hooked on the 1st one and have been playing ever since
    5. GTA - Loved the series since GTA III.(played the first 2 but III was the clincher)

The SNES was the best era for RPGs ever.

#3 wildthing202, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  4. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

1. C&C 1 (PC). I played this over and over back in the days. It?s still one of the best strategie games of all time. The 2 opponet groups were so different, but still nearly equally strong, that hasn?t been accomplished often.

2. Zelda - A Link to the Past (SNES). Every couple of month i pull out my old SNES just to play Zelda one mor time.

3. Gothic II (PC). (not sure if it?s known in the States) This game just blew me away, when it was released. Great graphics, huge world, where you could move completley free. The fighting style seemed to be very simple at first, but it took a lot of skill to be handled good. And it?s funny as hell.

4. Golden Eye (N64). 4 players split screen, you couldn?t see any detail on that tiny corner of the tv, but it was way to much fun. This conversation is connectet to the game, like to no other game: "Hey look, the sun is rising." "Shut up, it can?t be later than 1am, we just startet!...Damn, you?re right, it?s 6am."

5. Worms Simular to Golden Eye, we played this all night long. 4 players starring on a tiny 15" monitor and having way too much fun.

Close:
    Madden
    Neverwinter Knights
    Warcraft II
    Farcry (is this known in the States)
    Tony Hawk?s pro Skater
    Perfect Dark
    Secret of Mana
    Street Fighter II Turbo
    Silver
    Quaterback Club 2000
    Spellforce I (is this known in the States)
    GTA San Andreas
    Pokemon
    Super Mario

#4 German Jets Fan, Jul 6, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  5. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

1. Zelda: Ocarina of time ?(Nintendo 64)
    Awesome story, gameplay.

2. Goldeneye (Kinda including perfect dark) (Nintendo 64)
    Played the multiplayer forever. Me and my brother, and two of my neighbours, spent all holidays playing this.

3. Halo 1 + 2 (xbox)
    Halo 1 was an awesome game. I got my xbox probably two years after the release, and the game was still close to the best there. Amazing storyline, great multiplayer on halo 2.

4. Super Mario 64
    The first game on my first system. I might be biased towards it because of that sentimental value, but i loved it since i played that first level when u take out that king bomb on top of the hill, on christmas morning.

5. Pokemon Gold (Gameboy Pocket/Colour)
    My first pokemon game. I never played blue or red but i'm pretty sure that this included most of the gameplay from them, plus a whole new world. Great game with huge amounts of gameplay. The newest pokemons are virtually the same game, and are still popular.

Honourable Mentions:
    Chronotrigger - This is tied with Pokemon. Great story, gameplay. I actually only ever played this on an emulator.

Mario Kart - Also tied with Pokemon and Chrono. Also great multiplayer, played this whenever we weren't playing goldeneye.

Hitman - Just amazing premise for a game.
    Madden
    Splinter Cell
    Counter Strike
    Warcraft III
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skating 2
    GTA - Especially GTA III
    Worms 2

6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

From My Myspace...

The Top 10 Games Of All-Time
    Current mood: thankful
    Category: Games

Alright I thought about this LONG and (it was) HARD...

10. Super Monkey Ball

9. Tekken

8. Donkey Kong

7. Mario: Six Golden Coins

6. Mario Kart

5. Nascar Thunder

4. Madden

3. Super Mario (series)

2. Mario Party

1. NO MERCY

Me, Max, and Stephen were HOOOOKED on that game for YEARS. :D

Currently watching :
    Thirteen
    Release date: 27 January, 2004

2:00 AM - 2 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

7. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Top Five - Could've easily made a top 25 list. My top two are high and away above the rest of the list.

01. Final Fantasy Tactics - I love SRPGs, and this, by far, is the best I've ever played. The difficulty was challenging enough to make you actually strategize, the story was convoluted but epic, and the depth of gameplay was incredible. It's almost tempting me to get a PSP solely for the remake.

02. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Had some of the best dungeons, bosses, and gameplay I've encountered in my time. Exploring the world of Hyrule and all its secrets (fishing!) provided endless hours of replay-ability.

---

03. Chrono Cross - My favorite turn-based RPG. It had a clever battle system, wide array of characters, interesting plot, awesome graphics/cut scenes, and no random battles! Winning combo.

04. Okami - Probably the most underrated game on my list. It's easily one of the most visually stunning games on the PS2. The gameplay is especially innovative, featuring a mix of Zelda-like adventuring with a unique "brush" attack, which allowed you to draw lightning strikes, bombs, slashes, etc.

05. Shadow of the Colossus - Okay, so maybe this is the most underrated game on my list. The game consists of nothing but boss battles, in which the protagonist must seek out and destroy giant colossi inhabiting the vast world. Each boss (colossus) looked so good and unique, you could feel as if it were alive. Oh, and not to mention they were impossibly fun to kill.

Honorable mentions:
    - Fire Emblem 7 (GBA)
    - Final Fantasy X (PS2)
    - Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
    - Chrono Trigger (I played the PS1 port)
    - DOOM (PC)
    - Pokemon Red/Blue (GB)
    - Ninja Gaiden (XBOX)
    - God of War (PS2)
    - Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear (PC)
    - Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC)
    - and of course the Madden series.

#7 jetsaholic1094, Jul 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  8. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

1. God of War 1 and 2
    2. Final Fantasy X
    3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    4. Warcraft III
    5. Pokemon Series
    6. Ratchet and Clank
    7. Jak and Daxter Series
    8. Guitar Hero I and II
    9. Halo 1 and 2
    10. Guild Wars

9. In Mangini We Trust

In Mangini We Trust New Member

1) Mario Tennis (n64)
    2) Halo 1 and 2 (xbox)
    3) Mario Kart (n64)
    4) Mario Golf (n64)
    5) Madden

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I am not going to count a series as a single game, because a bad series could have a fantastic installment which does not make the seres great, but the bad series shouldn't negate the great installment as well. I am thinking about Gamebreaker in particular.

1. NCAA Gamebreaker 98 - PS1 - the most addictive football game of all time. when Madden was stubbing its toes with polygons, 989 revolutionized football games with smooth and fast graphics, Total Control Passing, and gameplay that was actually fun to play, something that EA has lost with Madden as it has dumped on feature after feature at the expense of actual gameplay. I am not saying I don't want complicatted games, I just want games with a lot of features that adds to gameplay, not detracts from it.

Gamebreaker was the pinnacle of football games.

2. NHL 98 - PS1 - again, the pinnacle of hockey games. this game had international teams, graphics that were tops for its time, options galore, and gameplay that just rocked. how EA has fucked all that up ever since with the series is beyond me, but hey, they have with all of their sports series as well.

3. Madden 92 - Sega Genesis - pretty much the version that started it all. the first to have all teams (sans team names and players), late hits, touchdown celebrations, and gameplay that kept you and your crew up for days straight playing. back when it was pick the same play and run and shoot the score, using the green NY team, with its horrible defense, I revolutionized the "slow-huddle offense" to eat up every second of the play clock to drive down field and score, minimizing my opponents possessions and ensuring I would have the ball at the end to win. those were great times.

4. Resident Evil 2 - PS1 - perfect example of why a series doesn't count as a single entity IMO. while 4 is equally as great, 1 is just good, 3 is decent, Code Veronica bad, the gun survivor games pure shite, and Outbreak useless. but RE2 is the creme de la creme of not only the series, but of the horror survivor genre the series created. breathtaking pre-rendered graphics, brilliant story, dual game modes, and gameplay that warrants repeat play to thsi day, RE2 is one of the coolest video games of all time. the rest of the series doesn't get to piggy back that.

5. Street Fighter 2 - arcade/genesis/wherever - probably its significance to video games should place it higher, but its ability to draw people to arcades en masse, identify with a particular character, and actually engage you with a story to justify merely beating the crap out of your opponent was flawless. I never played fighting games before, and I haven't since. but Street Fighter 2 was addictive.

11. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

Awesome call with NHL 98. That game single handedly got me into hockey, and was just so polished all around. (God the Avalanche were great!)

And another good call on SF2. Nice array of different characters with different playstyles, and the arcade/console transistion was amazing as well.

That also reminded me of Mortal Kombat 1 and 2, those were some awesome games, and the brutality in them was revolutionary.

HOW IN THE HELL DID I FORGET THESE!?!?!?!?!?!?!

12. wildthing202

Ok just to make mine non-series
    1. Final Fantasy III(VI) SNES - The game that made me a gamer. This game had so many moments in it that it could of won an Oscar if it was a movie. This had the best music in the 16-bit era and the characters were so original.
    2. Chrono Trigger SNES - Though very different from FF III, Chrono Trigger had some of the best graphics for a 16 bit game and the characters were designed by the creator of Dragon Ball.
    3. Final Fantasy VII PS1 - Though not the best looking game it is simply the best RPG in the PS1 era. Great storytelling with great game play.
    4. Crusin' USA Arcade - This is one racer I could play for hours on end, I wish I had the arcade cabinet of this game.
    5. Super Mario RPG SNES - The product of 2 of the best game makers of the era. There has been nothing close to this so far by 2 companies working together.

I needed no emulators for these as I played all of them on the original console.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Road Rash II
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Mutant League Football
    Madden 92 (at the time it was a fantabulous game)
    Road Rash

14. JetBlue

yes, Road Rash! although I was never into the Genesis versions, Road Rash 3D for the PS1 was freakin' outstanding. the last race that took 30 minutes of real time just to complete was one of the most grueling video game tasks ever. I probably had to play that for 4 or 5 hours to finally get through it.

15. Catch4Cotch

Catch4Cotch New Member

any1 on here play the max payne series? amazing

16. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

1. Psychonauts - I think this game was only on XBox. It looks like a kids game at first (and it kind of is) but it has the best art design and gameplay and story of any game I've ever played. Entertaining and engrossing on every level. Even my girlfriend liked it.
    2. Megaman 2 - this game ruled my childhood.
    3. Mario Kart 64 - best multiplayer game ever (screw you, Halo).
    4. Zelda 64 - only game I ever cut school to play.
    5. NFL2K - better than Madden. I miss it so.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I loved the first two in the series. Road Rash III was so-so. Then the game graduated from Sega Genesis to PlayStation. The games on the new platform were very good, but they didn't have the same fun factor as the first two Genesis games, in my opinion.

Since Thanksgiving I have been contemplating whether or not to buy a PSP just for that EA Replay game. EA Replay contains 14 old games, including Mutant League Football and the first two Road Rash games. The problem is I don't think I'd care to buy any other PSP games. I'm not really into the portable thing mainly because the screen is so small. The problem would be solved if EA Replay was made for PS3.
    I will probably buy a PS3, I just don't know when.
    My cousin has been raving about AP2K8. I preferred the 2K series over Madden. EA has now also wrecked the NCAA football series.
    Playing as Dalton Hilliard and Wesley Walker and Billy Sims and Don Maynard, etc. really appeals to me. Also, the gameplay is much better than the EA games. All types of tackling animations. You can see legs and arms get broken, mud and snow are great, etc.

#17 Cakes, Jul 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  18. JetBlue

if you really aren't interested in a PSP, you can always download a Genesis emulator and Roms of Road Rash and play it on your PC, which is perfectly legal as long as you still own the cartridges, as I am sure you do (wink-wink).

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I still have my Mutant League Football cartridge, manual, and box. My Road Rash II is long gone. I never owned Road Rash, but I did rent it multiple times.

20. wildthing202

I still got my MLF game too.