Your Thoughts on the Giants' draft

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FriendlyGiantsFan, Apr 28, 2010.

1. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I know it's a Jets' forum and I should "go to a Giants' board if I want to talk about them," but I'd like to get the opinions of fans that aren't going to have their perspective tainted by blue-colored glasses (I say while being fully aware that some poster dislike the Giants and that this could influence your opinions, but whatever).

So, what are your thoughts of the Giants' draft. Here's what I've got.

Round 1: Jason Pierre-Paul. Initially I HATED this pick because I wanted Dan Williams. After thinking about it for a bit, however, I actually like it a lot. The Giants were most successful in 2007 with their "4 Aces" defensive package. JPP can contribute in this package right away. His athletic ability is great and, I hope, he can eventually become a player that can speed rush like Osi (due to his burst) but but play DT like Tuck (due to his size). The fact that he isn't ready to play right now is actually a positive when one considers the logjam we already have at DE between Osi and Kiwi.

Round 2: Linval Joseph. LOVE this pick, I wanted Dan Williams in round 1 and this pick is a damn-fine substitute. We were soft up the middle last year and I think Joseph will immediately help VS the run. I also think he can collapse the pocket and maximize the ability for our defensive ends to fire off the edges.

Round 3: Chad Jones. I can't say I know much about him, but I like the size and physical play he brings to the field. From 2008 to 2009 Jerry Reese turned a position of weakness into a position of strength in the WR corps. I think he's done that again at the safety position. Jones split time between football and baseball, so with his focus narrowed it's quite possible his play improves significantly.

Round 4: Phillip Dillard. Again, not a player I'm very familiar with so I can't say much. He appears to be a downhill player that has good speed but not change of direction ability. He's got good size and sounds like he's stout at the point of attack (in scouting reports). This reminds me of the skillset of Kawika Mitchell. I think he can be solid but unspectacular in the middle.

Round 5: Mitch Petrus. This is the last round I can really say I know anything about and all I really know about this guy is that he's strong as hell (45 reps!) and has good speed and agility. Sadly he combines this with poor technique and needs time. I think he takes over for Seubert in 2011 or 2012.

Overall I like the value and upside we got with each pick, I think these are guys that all have the potential to make a great impact for the years to come. Having said that, I don't think this draft is going to have great immediate impact. This tells me that Reese is placing a lot of stock in having a defensive coordinator that's NOT Bill "Wrong Way" Sheridan and in the team's numerous injuries being on the mend.

What do you guys think of either the overall draft or any pick in particular?

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I like how the Giants decided to concentrate on Defense in this draft. If there's one thing the Giants are always known for, it's having a solid defense.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The Giants fortified their front four, I'm a lil surprised they didn't go after Kirk Morrison of the Raiders they still have a hole at MLB if I'm not mistaken

4. FriendlyGiantsFan

This was interesting to me as well. We do have some young LB talent in Goff, Kehl, and Sintim, so it isn't out of the question that they expect one of these guys to be able to step up.

5. Jam.

Jam. Banned

I give it a B or a B+...the first two picks are solid.

6. TheManiac

TheManiac New Member

Chad Jones is only one of two players to win a BCS National Championship and win the College World series. The other was his teammate whos name escapes me at the moment.

Thought the Giants had a good draft, but a little suprised the went with S at round 3. It doesn't seems as though they feel good about Phillips returning from injury/longterm.

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

JPP: Big-time pass rushing prospect. Wasn't sure what you would do there with McClain and Spiller gone. Not the worst pick.

Joseph: That pick pissed me off since I wanted Joseph for the Jets. So of course I liked it.

Jones: Big, physical safety with raw tools. Not that fast. Wonder if he plays a little linebacker for you on some downs?

Dillard: Don't know much about him. Scouting reports look good, but he did have a sick DL in front of him.

Petrus: Like him at guard, thought the Jets would look at him if they didn't go Ducasse.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

my best friend is a Giants fan.....he wanted to put his foot through his TV set after the JPP pick......and when the Giants passed on Morrison and picked Dillard...we officially put him on suicide watch. :)

9. FriendlyGiantsFan

Phillips was running 3 weeks before he was supposed to, this being all I know about his recovery, so I don't know if Jones was taken because of concerns about Phillips' recovery or if it was simply because last season the Giants had the worst safety play I've ever seen on any team at any point.

Maybe Jones is our wildcat QB; that 94 mph fastball ought to let him handle the winds in the-stadium-yet-to-be-named.

10. FriendlyGiantsFan

I used to be like that until I realized that I initially hate every 1st round pick the Giants draft, only to later on realize that I come to terms with it a few days later.

I have a coworker who is a Redskins fan who does something similar, but far more ridiculous. He still insists it was a mistake for the Giants to draft Hakeem Nicks. Of course he is also of the opinion that "Eli Manning is an average QB at best and the only reason he ever looked good is because of Plaxico Burress," so that kind of makes his opinions subject to bouts of me laughing at them.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If the Giants took Derrick Morgan, it would be an A.

JPP worries me, so I give a solid B.

I like the Joseph and Petrus picks.

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

when you guys selected A.Ross (the year we got Revis)...my buddy kicked his shoe over his fence into his neighbor's yard in fit of rage.

The draft isn't just about the picks....it's watching your buddies fall to their knees in agony. :rofl:

13. FriendlyGiantsFan

Do you know much about JPP? My knowledge on him is fairly limited and any additional insight is appreciated.

14. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Id say B+

I really liked your day 3 draft

Chad Jones had me and my giants fan friend scratching head I thought someone like Brandon Ghee the CB chosen later in round by Bengals would be pick.

15. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

I don't know much on JPP, but it's obviously a huuuuuuuuuge gamble. Guy played in 7 games I believe, but yeah this kid really is a freak of nature. My problem is first round picks should start, and I'm not sure how this kid will do in the NFL(especially after playing 7 games in college)

of course anyone can say the same for Mark Sanchise(1 year of college as a QB)

Linval Joesph all I gotta say is solid pick. guy can play anywhere on the line.

Raiders robbed Rolando Mcclain..IMO Giants should of tried to get the player they wanted the most. I guess at the time JPP was the best at the table.

I was looking for the Giants to grab some corners, but didn't happen

16. FriendlyGiantsFan

I was actually very much against drafting McClain. I think he lacks the speed to be an effective 4-3 MLB. I think he's an excellent 3-4 ILB as he's big and stout at the point of attack, but he just doesn't have the speed and lateral agility to be effective in the defense the Giants run.

17. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

You can't really go with measurables look at game film. He is a defensive general I really think he will be great as long as Oakland doesn't destroy him.

18. FriendlyGiantsFan

I'm not questioning his football IQ or leadership, but I think his skillset doesn't translate well to the 4-3 at the professional level. Giants' fans have complained about Antonio Pierce and his lack of foot speed in the past, how much different would McClain be? I think it would he would make us susceptible to the same weaknesses we've had in the past; TEs and pass-catching RBs. Goff and Kehl, especially Kehl, are better in space than McClain. I think Goff has a similar skillset in that he's strong at the point of attack and a good hitter. Goff may actually have better turning and covering ability. Of course we don't know if Goff is as smart or will be as good a player, but he's had time to develop and I'm in favor of giving him the green light at MLB.