Your successful weight loss stories. What kept you going?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hey. Beer loving overweight guy here. 5'10" and 270 LBS. Need to drop under 200 LBS in 2018 calendar year. Each time I attempt losing weight it lasts 1 month or so. Then I lose against my sugar cravings and beer cravings.

Did you have a successful weight loss journey? How did you do it? What kept you going? Your difficult moments and how did you get thru the difficult times.

Please inspire me. Otherwise you will have to find yourself another goat loving mod.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Fasting during Ramadan usually does it for me.

FJF likes this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

damn dude, that's not good.
    Lifestyle change. An hour of intense exercise 5-6 days a week (nfl play 60 isnt just for kids ;)) and toss all the processed and simple calorie foods..... for the most part Beer is my only junk food.

Brook! likes this.
  4. Brook!

Meh. I loved it when I wasn't a mod. You folks were very liberal in your goat and Muslim jokes. Now some of you are dialing it back. Lol.

stinky

I have zero will power. I know what needs to be done. I read a lot on the topic. I always start good, lose 20 to 25 LBS but then my sugar craving and beer craving takes over after like 1 or 2 months.

I have never ever stayed on a diet/exercise regimen more than 2 months. Some people keep going on diets and achieve their goal and I don't.

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Im 6 ft 240. That's too much for my liking, tho every says i look good. Do you have a photo of a healthier you and the you that you don't like? Make that your phone background. Seeing that change really will change your thinking.

Cut soda, juice, beer except for cheat day. Save one day a week you can eat whatever you want. I suggest calorie counting but its not for everyone. More home cooked meals. Eat smaller more frequent meals amd drink tons of water.

The key os actually to start small then increase. Problem is people jump in the deep end instead of gradual going out. So cut calories for say 2 days one week, 3 to 4 next then get to 5 to 6 days.

If you're interested in medications to help, pm me. Ill talk you thru then and the insurance process. It can get confusing, but i can walk you thru it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Brook! likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]
    You never see a fat crack head

7. Brook!

So you say start smoking after 40 years. That stuff was expensive when I was growing up. We barely had money for food let alone drugs. Jeez. Stay on topic or I will ban you a month.
    Thanks zace. Good suggestions. I appreciate it. I have a fatty liver and I only use Diabetes medication. I can't even take pain killers with my diabetes medication so medication is a no go.

8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Then i know exactly what youre taking. Weight loss and diet is imperative. What are some of those foods you just can't do without?

9. Brook!

zace

Here are the reasons why all my attempts failed. In no particular order.

- I crave sugar after a while. I have to have desert or ice cream or sugary stuff.
    - I don't like protein foods much. Not a big steak or chicken or fish lover. I only like to eat ground beef and after a while I get tired of it.
    - My eating habits are terrible. I don't eat much until dinner time. But after dinner I turn into a monster. Strong dinner then snack then beer then ice cream. If I can control my dinner and after dinner eating I can keep the diet long time but this late night eating is my Achilles heel.
    - I hate salad. I hate green stuff. I am not a fruit person either. My most loved foods are carbs.
    - My drinking was bad but now under control. One 6 pack a week is all I drink now.

10. stinkyB

Now, I can't totally relate, as Ive been fortunate to have the metabolism of a kid.... now granted alot is due to my active hobbies and the ability to still do them well is my dangling carrot, but as I move into my 40s I cant just be a human garbage disposal like I used to be.

Learn to eat food that makes you feel good after you eat it, than just tastes good while you consume it. Personally most "junk" food makes me feel like shit after I eat it so it's not hard to avoid (I am a sucker for some chocolate chip cookies and milk... but I'll limit that to the holidays when theyre around everywhere). Importantly, when going to the grocery store, DONT BUY JUNK FOOD. Its hard to eat it if it's not around.... and if your will power is that low, you wont have the motivation to drive to the store when you crave it ;)

As far as beer.... that's my vice. It tastes great AND makes me feel good, so I can't pass judgement as I know I drink too much of it. (hence I gotta get rid of all the other unhealthy stuff) but I have a friend with similar build as yours, and he went 2 months without a beer and lost 25lbs.
    Sounds like a nightmare to me, and makes me want to ride a few miles to avoid that ;)

Brook! likes this.
  11. stinkyB

basically you're doing EVERYTHING the OPPOSITE of what you should do....

Brook! likes this.
  12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

You have to get in the habit of smaller more frequent meals thru the day. That will eliminate that desire for late night cravings. Drink a lot of water. Put flavoring in it if you have to. Find foods you will eat. Moderation is key. 2 tacos isnt so bad, 6 is. See what im saying?

stinkyB likes this.
  13. Brook!

I know!

Do you know anything about the fasting diet? Don't eat for 16 hours but eat whatever you want for 8 hours?

zace likes this.
  14. stinkyB

Gimmicky bullshit

15. Brook!

That seemed like something I could do. I am OK not eating anything until 4:00 pm and eat whatever I want between 4:00 pm and 10:00 pm. I sleep at 10 most of the time anyway.

16. stinkyB

NO.... why do you need to consume calories rt before your body wont need them?
    Just the opposite.... start off with breakfast and "snack" throughout the day (not on simple carb junk though)
    You'll always feel hungry if youre not consuming food with nutritional value.... and if youre like me who ALWAYS wants to eat, you have to eat healthy or I'd prob be a fatbastard

17. Brook!

I see my mistake. Thanks stinky. Give me your typical day in terms of eating when you watch what you eat.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Intermittent fasting is what its called. Im not particularly a fan of that. Because what happens is your body holds on to everything, then you suddenly cram more in so it says, oh well guess i dont have to burn fat or muscle after all. Its more weight neutral than loss.

For all that you could just do a liquid diet.

Brook! and stinkyB like this.
  19. stinkyB

Ha... I'm not a structured health freak... When I'm hungry I eat*.

*which is almost all day..... ;)
    Seriously, I snack on shit like fruit, nuts, trailmix all day..... I used to live on pasta and other similar carbs, but I've mostly cut that out, esp in the evenings unless I surfed all day and I'm hungry enough to eat the box it comes in.
    So basically If I get alot of exercise, I cheat on what ever, but if I can, I limit the carbs for when Im doing stuff, and try to eat the healthy fats, proteins and veggies in the evenings.... carbs come from IPAs

A few years ago I briefly went into health freak mode as I was trying to recover from multiple injuries (including knee surgery) one year as fast as I could and realized "Hey alot of this stuff isnt so bad after all"

zace and Brook! like this.
  20. Brook!

Thanks both. :)

zace likes this.