Yanks-Mariners talking Washburn deal

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Don, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The Yankees and Mariners have begun trade discussions that could land lefthanded pitcher Jarrod Washburn in the Bronx, if the finances can be worked out.

There is hope for a deal. But the talks could still be derailed by attempts to include some other big contracts in any potential trade.

The Yankees are believed to want to send disappointing lefthander Kei Igawa to Seattle to offset Washburn's contract. Meanwhile, the Mariners could counter by asking that almost-as-disappointing designated hitter Jose Vidro be sent to New York along with Washburn.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/07/23/yankees.washburn/index.html

Of course that makes you wonder who is out of the SR in the future. Kennedy? Probably. Ponson? Probably but only if he starts losing. Hughes? Who knows. Rasner? Probably. Pettitte? Doubtful. He will probably be back at least one more year. It will be a crowded rotation if everybody is healthy.

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

While I'm not convinced we need Washburn, there's no such thing as too much pitching. Especially starting pitching.

If I had to guess, it would immediately be Rasner. He's pitched decently, but he can't get through 6. Perhaps he'll move to the pen in the middle relief role.

I was going to say he wouldn't change the rotation long-term, but looking into next year, we could have a significantly different rotation:

Wang
    Sabathia (I hope)
    Pettitte
    Washburn
    Chamberlain

That leaves Hughes and Kennedy on the outside looking in. At least one would probably wind up traded. Ponson was only a band-aid to begin with, so I don't expect him to return regardless. I figured Moose had earned himself at least one more year, but if we trade for Washburn and pick up Sabathia, I'd have to believe Moose is not re-signed.

3. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I could see the deal hinging on Seattle wanting to trade Vidro, and the Yankees wanting Ibanez.

4. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that order is just random, and not what you think the actual rotation should be... right?

Not that it matters... but I saw Chamberlain 5th and almost threw up a little.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Has everybody given up on Hughes or are we just all thinking the time is not now? I think this year isn't his year to shine but in no way have I called it quits on the kid... We could definitely use Washburn though, Rasner makes me cringe every time he's out there.

7. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

call it quits on Hughes. WTF, why?

No, its not time to call it quits. He clearly showed alot of potential and good performances last season. Im convinced he was hurt all season, which is why he sucked. At least I can hope....

Hughes in 2009

8. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

I honestly like Hughes, but I think being hurt all the time is going to be his problem for his whole career.

9. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

that wishful thinking for you.....

10. devilonthetownhallroof

His track record to this point backs me up 100%.

11. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Kudos, its been less then 2 years in the bigs. You really hit gold on that prediction...

12. devilonthetownhallroof

His injury troubles go back to 2004, so it's actually 4 years now. He had an elbow problem after his first pro start, he broke his toe later that season, had a shoulder problem in 2005, hurt his hammy in 2007, got hurt AGAIN while rehabbing when he hurt his ankle, and cracked a rib this year. Obviously it could change, but he's been very injury prone to this point in his career.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Good very good to hear... I didn't think anybody had given up on the guy but I'd just been reading way too much internet fodder I guess it got me wondering.

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Wow, looking at that again, yeah, that's pretty retarded on my part.

15. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Don't worry about anyone giving up on Phil.

* Phil Hughes will throw two innings in the GCL on Monday. He will soon be activated off the DL and optioned. Cashman would not predict whether Hughes would return to the majors. Cash said that teams are clamoring for Hughes in trade talks but he will not deal him.

16. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/07/25/washburn-still-on-the-radar/

17. jinx

jinx New Member

its time to call it quits, i agree. hurt all the time