Yankees @ Reds 6/20-6/22

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AMJets, Jun 20, 2011.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Tonight
    RHP Ivan Nova (6-4, 4.46)
    vs.
    LHP Travis Wood (5-4, 5.11)
    7:10 p.m., YES Network / ESPN

Tuesday
    RHP Brian Gordon (0-0, 3.38)
    vs.
    RHP Johnny Cueto (4-2, 1.68)
    7:10 p.m., MY9 / MLB Network

Wednesday
    RHP Freddy Garcia (5-6, 3.63)
    vs.
    RHP Mike Leake (6-3, 4.04)
    12:35 p.m., YES Network

#1 AMJets, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

...and Gardner is riding the bench again, c'mon girardi

3. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Gardner has a .385 OBP against lefties. Lefties are hitting .339 against Wood.

Girardi is a robot. See lefty pitcher, must use righty hitter.

4. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Marvin Hudson doesn't know the strikezone.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Nova with a gem. Pitching continues to get it done.

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

We all know how I feel about Gardner and I was shocked last night that Gardner didn't get the start.

As that weren't bad enough, he let Jones stay in the game after that ridiculous "I rolled my ankle a little bit" garbage. Really? Come on Joe. Jones is quite possibly the laziest person in the entire sport. But he's also got that stupid shit-eating grin on his face like everything is one big joke. Bench player or not, ship his ass out.

Jones is definitely one reason for me to regret calling Gardner a fourth outfileder. He doesn't even remotely deserve to be behind Jones. Then again, neither does the batboy.

Yeah, but Freddy Garcia is so much better. Garcia should be the #2 and Nova should be back in the minors. </sarcasm>

Seriously though, that was his 21st start. The kid is going to be very, very good. Granted, it wasn't the best team he dominated, but he did dominate. When Hughes and Colon are back this rotation is going to be sick.

CC, AJ, Colon, Hughes, Nova. Unless of course they jack it all up by leaving Gordon and Garcia as starters. I hope they just move them to the pen. Or even go with a 6-man rotation so Colon, Hughes, and Garcia get less innings.

I am starting to worry about the pen though. Robertson was never a guy I liked to begin with. He's too shaky (except when he comes in to clean up someone else's big mess). Mo isn't getting a lot of movement on his cutter. Ayala is okay, but he's no closer or setup guy.

The Yankees are going to have to start making tough decisions. Will they trade away a young bat or change plans on a guy like Noesi? Whatever they decide, they're going to have to do something. Mark Prior coached third base for SWB yesterday. I'd say he's never going to see time in the Bronx this year. Unfortunately, Vazquez is now on the DL, so his trade value is diminished at least for the time being. I wonder what their long-term plans for him are. ARod and Jeter can't both DH.

7. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Reds are a pretty good team.

They lead the NL in runs.

Votto is a monster.

8. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

First of all, man, just to be clear here... the point of the jest wasn't to claim that Garcia is a better pitcher than Nova. It was just to make light of your claims that Garcia is so terrible (despite pitching better than a guy you claim to love). I've always liked Nova.

Secondly, like I said before, it was all in good fun. Was it really such a big deal that people poked a little fun at you because players on a team we all root for are doing better than your personal dislike would allow you to expect from them? Oh no, they're helping the Yankees win!

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Haven't they hit a rough patch lately? I thought I had heard that. Honestly I pay very little attention to the NL (and even much of the AL), so I go based on hearsay, and that's what I thought I remembered hearing. My bad if not.

You may notice I went out of my way to post a sarcasm tag on that.

As for Garcia, as I've said, my issue with him is that he gets into a lot of jams and only gets out of them thanks to good defensive plays. That's like lighting matches in a gas station. It may never be a problem, but there's a pretty good chance that eventually you're going to have a major problem.

I didn't think anyone disliked Nova. It's hard to dislike a kid who hasn't had many bad outings in his first 21 starts of his career. He may not have gone far into games in his first dozen or so, but he's only had a few poor showings.

10. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Yes, but they lead the NL in runs scored, and they're third in the majors behind Boston and the Yankees.

Therefore, Nova shutting down that lineup is very impressive.

You said "Granted, it wasn't the best team he dominated, but he did dominate."

Johnny Cueto is expected to start tonight after being pushed back a day.

Here's his only previous encounter with the Yankees.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Okay cool. So it's better than I originally thought. Again, I was going solely on what I had heard with little knowledge beyond that. (And technically, what I wrote is factual.) :wink:

BTW: WTF?!?! Is that really your vCash? 18 million?!

12. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Yeah. It'd be higher if events were posted more often.

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

I don't think they'll have to limit innings. Colon's injury could be a good thing for the long run, he'll be fresh come October. And Hughes needs as many innings as he can get. But I'm feeling pretty good about that starting five.

14. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. That's why I said what I did. I'm not sure if you were doing the bitter sarcasm thing (as though other people were implying that Garcia was better than Nova), or what.

15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

So Aceves is doing well for Boston.

I wonder why he was non-tendered. I know he was injured, but he would've been cheap to keep.

16. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Game tonight ppd due to rain.

Split doubleheader tomorrow. Too bad. It was going to be aired on My9, and that's rare.

Game 1: Garcia vs. Leake
    Game 2: Gordon vs. Cueto

#16 Yisman, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  17. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

He's doing well, but he's been fragile, with serious back problems cropping up each of the past two years. The Yanks weren't confident that he'd be able to stay healthy.

18. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

That's insane. :eek:hmy:

Yeah, that would be an awesome end-of-year rotation. My thought on limiting innings was to keep guys fresh and reduce chance of injury. It's funny you mention it being good that Colon went down because I thought much the same thing when he first went on the DL. Sure, it sucks to lose him for a couple of weeks, but it's nice that he's getting some rest.

See? Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet. Even when you specifically state it. Is it any wonder it pissed me off?

It was a move I really disagreed with, but I'm usually a don't-sign-injury guys, and Aceves was a bone-head. Getting hurt on the field is one thing, but guys who get hurt off the field usually (and rightfully so) lose their jobs.

I honestly believe it was more to do with the broken collarbone.

Yeah, I actually read that article already. On the surface it's a big boost for Gardner, but then I read the comments. Sure, statistics show Gardner to be a very good ballplayer (and admittedly better than a 4th outfielder) but at the same time many of the commenters point out that the categories used aren't necessarily the best ones to use.

It's a bit silly to imply that Gardner is truly anywhere as valuable as Albert Pujols. Whereas Pujols' ridiculous offensive prowess earns wins, Gardner's defense plays into his valuation in that post. I say a lot of controversial things, but I'm confident in saying that if you would put Brett Gardner in the same universe with Albert Pujols in terms of value you're a freaking idiot. I don't care how much ground he covers.

20. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

I got that it was sarcasm. It just seemed that you were being bitterly sarcastic as opposed to jokingly sarcastic, in addition to seeming to miss the point of the Garcia/Nova "comparison" (such as it was). Given your previous expletive-laden tirade, that seemed like a fair assumption to make. If not, my mistake.