Yankees @ Rays

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by JetsNation06, Oct 2, 2009.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Friday, October 2 Tropicana Field | 7:38 PM ET

CC Sabathia, LHP (19-7, 3.21) @ David Price, LHP (9-7, 4.60)

Saturday, October 3 Tropicana Field | 7:08 PM ET

Andy Pettitte, LHP (14-7, 4.11) @ Jeff Niemann, RHP (12-6, 3.94)

Sunday, October 4 Tropicana Field | 1:38 PM ET

A.J. Burnett, RHP (12-9, 4.10) @ Wade Davis, RHP (2-1, 3.45)

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

CC's first ever 20 win season? Stay tuned...

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

20 wins! 20 wins! 20 wins!

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Doesn't look good for CC. Damn.

5. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Waiting for Don to come in and tell us that Cashman is a fool for signing Sabathia and Teixeira.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

How about if I just say you are a fool instead.

Anyway, Detroit down 8-0, Twins up 8-0..another day with no winner over there.

7. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Sure, why not?

(Here's a tip, though: Those kinds of jabs would have more sting if you weren't known for having ridiculously poor judgment.)

8. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Oh boy, praying that Verlander has to get played Sunday.

9. Don

In your mind, I am sure..Problem is my judgment is right much more often that yours is. We can start with Chamberlain if you want evidence of that.

10. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Don, you might be familiar with the cliche: even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

You've been saying Chamberlain is a reliever and sucks as a starter since he first made the switch. He was great as a starter last year. He was effective as a starter earlier this year. He's been very ineffective and inconsistent since. This doesn't mean you were right all along. If it turns out that Joba becomes a crappy starter from here on out, this isn't because you saw something way back when. Things change. Judgments should be flexible enough to change with them. But your opinion of him never changed, even when he was pitching well. You even said, "Another typical crap start from Chamberlain," back when his ERA was in the mid-3's for this year and the low 3's as a starter for his career.

Messing with his routine wasn't ideal, but they need to build his innings, and were trying to give the team (and Joba) the best chance for the playoffs. It didn't work out. But is it just because of the shuffling? Or are there other issues?

Here's the difference between you and me, Don. I don't bother to make crazy predictions and definitive judgments. I will call you out on your ridiculous ones, though. Like Sabathia being too fat to pitch well and how he'd be on the DL by the All Star Break. Remember that one? My disagreement with your judgment there wouldn't have changed even if he did land on the DL this year. Because it was a stupid prediction... there was no basis in reality for making it.

I prefer to make reasonable predictions, and I reserve the right to change my opinion based on the facts of what's transpired. In fact, I am more than happy to. Am I less confident in Joba right now. Hell, yes. Is that because you've been right all along? Only in your head, Don. Only in your head.

I'd like you to find these cases of poor judgment on my part.

11. Don

You have lost track of what I was saying but you can go back to the off season thread to find out. I said he should never be used as a starter to begin the season if he couldn't end the season as a starter too. They knew full well he couldn't so they talked about "the plan" which was the biggest pile of horseshit Cashman ever came up with yet. He SHOULD have been in the pen to start the year, just like last year. When he had enough innings left in the tank to finish the season and the playoffs as a starter they could move him to the rotation. Instead all they did was screw him over all year. Just listen to the things he is saying now, it is so obvious how pissed off he is I bet he can't wait to leave and go somewhere else.

I am sure, though you will tell us all again ahow great Cashman has been.

12. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

If I've lost track of what you're saying, it's because you keep changing it.

I mean, weren't you one of the people saying that moving him from the pen to the rotation last year was stupid? Weren't you one of the people who said that's why he hurt his shoulder? And that he should have stayed in the pen? You can't even keep your stories straight. You just float from gripe to gripe based on whatever you think hasn't gone well for the Yankees recently.

What they should have done (and what I'm sure they would have liked to do) is what they did in 2007, when he first debuted with the club. They should have moved him to the pen to limit his innings at the end of the year. Unfortunately, Wang shit the bed/got hurt, Hughes was already in the pen, Kennedy had an aneurysm, and there weren't really too many other options for the rotation. I'm pretty sure that Joba moving from the rotation to the pen is what you would've seen had there been better options. Joba would've been the expendable fifth starter in the playoffs, and could be used out of the pen. As I've said, the current setup isn't ideal, but they did their best to build his innings within limits, while still trying to win.

Have I ever told you how great Cashman has been?! No.

What I've consistently said is that he's not the fool you think he is, and that you're ridiculous to harp on him as though he is one.

If you can't discern the difference between those two things, I can't help you.

13. Don

I guess it was always Wednesday when the first series was due to start..I had thought it was Tuesday.

#13 Don, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

lol at detroit. lost three in a row and now I guess they use verlander tomorrow. they have roughly no chance of beating the yankees if they make it. same for the twins.

15. talisaynon

never say never. IIRC we killed Detroit 6-1 during the regular season in 06 and Cleveland 7-0 during the regular season in 07. Anything can happen in a 5 game series.

16. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

jackson has sucked recently and verlander has been so overworked and will only get 1 start in the division series, I guess.

It would be a historic upset.

the Yankees have shaky starting pitching, but the Tigers and Twins don't have good starting pitching either.

Verlander was the one guy that could change things, but he's set up to only be able to make one start, and I doubt he'll be very effective in that start anyway.

#16 Yisman, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  17. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Verlander pitch games 2 and 5?

18. talisaynon

Correct.

Lineup for Detroit would be:

EJack
    Verlander
    Porcello

19. Don

At this point I think it will be an upset if Minnesota doesn't take the division. Detroit is in total disarray.

20. Don

Unless there is a playoff game on Tuesday to decide the division. Then what, Porcello starts game 1? Or will it be Jackson on short rest?

#20 Don, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009