xxedge72x Final Mock Draft: "If I Were GM"

Discussion in 'Draft' started by xxedge72x, Apr 18, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It's been a fun draft season this year with all the Jets needs and the incredible potential of this draft class. I've had a blast discussing it with everyone and plan on this being my last mock this season. This mock really represents my personal desires for what the Jets could do in this draft. After everything I've read and watched and considered Jets need, this is a draft I'd walk away from excited about.

As per my previous drafts, trades factor in here. I expect the Jets to be active traders this year and would honestly be disappointed if they weren't. The have a lot of needs and staying put won't get it done.

Trade Summary:
    Jets 6 for Saints 11 + 32
    Jets 32 + Sheldon Richardson for Raiders 24
    Jets 70 for Texans 89 + 130 + 2018 3rd Round Pick

Pick 11 (from Saints): RB Christian McCaffrey, Stanford

I've done this previously and believe in this pick. I am extremely excited about McCaffreys combination of explosiveness, receiving ability, and intangibles. The Jets have a difficult time typically of finding players who are dangerous every single time they touch the ball and McCaffrey is just that. He's so dynamic and so schematically flexible that he will absolutely terrorize NFL defenses. I hope he's with us rather than against us.

Pick 24 (from Raiders): QB Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

The common thought around here is that if the Jets take an early QB this draft, it's a sign that Hackenberg has failed and Mac has fucked up. I see it a little differently. If the Jets, via trade, can pull off something like I'm proposing here, I see it as Mac doing a good job because he's hedging his bet against a Hackenberg failure. Let's face it, the Jets QB position has been a train wreck for a while now, and it's the most important position in the league. While I don't believe the Hackenberg story is over already, I also don't want to be left empty handed if it is. Mahomes has Dan Marino like arm talent. He comes from a college offense that has had no success when translating to the NFL to date, but personally, I see Mahomes as the guy who can overcome that. There is plenty of evidence that he's good at reading defenses, good at shifting the defense with his eyes, has good pocket presence and enough mobility and awareness to make something happen when things go bad. I absolutely love Mahomes upside. The Jets can afford to take Mahomes and not start him immediately, giving him time to adjust as many have suggested he needs entering the league. If we can land Mahomes, especially after getting McCaffrey, I see that as a huge steal and a huge step forward for the Jets offensively.

Pick 39: DE Jordan Willis, Kansas State

The biggest problem I see with this pick is Willis probably won't make it to 39. The guy is an absolute stud and would be awesome paired with Jordan Jenkins. Bowles likes his talent at linebacker and Willis is flush with it. High potential and high intangibles make Willis a great fit for what the Jets are looking for.

89 (from Texans): CB Sidney Jones, Washington

Arguably one of the top CBs in the draft before his injury, the Jets gamble on his upside here being that they've missed on the CB rush at this point and need a high caliber CB. While this pick won't pay off immediately, it could pay huge dividends a year or two from now when theoretically the team is closer to being competitive again.

107: DE Derek Rivers, Youngstown State

Two picks after taking Willis, the Jets dive back into the edge rusher pool to select another highly talented but small school pass rusher. While at this point there isn't a starting job available for Rivers, he's so talented that the Jets just can't let him go at this spot. You can never have enough pass rusher and the Jets have been underwhelming in this area. No more after adding Willis and Rivers to the squad.

130 (from Texans): WR Ryan Switzer, UNC

Switzer is a prospect I love in this draft as he's very dangerous with the ball in his hands. Projected as a slot receiver, I see him replacing Jalin Marshall who has let the team down as an undrafted FA with dropped passes, dropped punts, and a suspension to boot now.

132: TE Jake Butt, Michigan

Same as Sidney Jones earlier, the Jets have missed on the Tight End rush by now and once again gamble on the tremendous upside of this injured player. Prior to getting hurt, Butt was seen as one of the top TEs in the draft. The Jets feel that the value meets the potential here and are willing to wait on rehabbing him in hopes of getting a starter and a stud this late in the draft.

165: OT Anthony Garcia, Troy

This is a bad class for offensive linemen which is unfortunate for the Jets as it is a big need for them. The Jets take Garcia here who has some potential to eventually be a starting LT in the NFL but likely needs some time to be developed. Something of a gamble pick, but the Jets don't want to leave the draft empty handed at OL.

195: CB Jalen Myrick, Minnesota

The Jets end their draft taking a chance on the fastest CB in combine history with Jalen Myrick, whose role with the Jets will largely be special teams early on, hoping he can eventually develop in to a long term answer as a nickel CB.

Final note on this draft, I'm not a proponent of tanking this season for Darnold as his body of work is smaller than Trubisky's at this point. I don't think Bowles and Mac are in danger of losing their jobs at this point but I also think if the Jets don't start showing progress soon that could change in a hurry. I want the Jets to draft with the intention of being good as soon as possible, as anytime they spend sucking is time we are wasting the few good pieces we do actually have. This mock I've dropped to me addresses most of what the Jets would like to get out of the draft this time around: playmakers on offense and pass rushers, as well as potentially our franchise QB.

Hope you enjoyed, can't wait until next week. :)

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

101GangGreen101, Br4d and nicg4360 like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Taking a 1st round QB you traded up for is not hedging your bets against the 2nd rounder you drafted last year, it's the step before you cut that 2nd rounder, although Petty may be odd man out here.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

My thought process was Petty getting cut based on this draft. I am not a Mahomes fan and see a missed opportunity not drafting a safety anywhere in this mock. I do like everything I've read about Rivers and most other positions of need are addressed.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets have met with Mahomes 3 times already and 4 meetings with Trubisky. There is definitely interest there. In your mock, I am sold ... perhaps not sold on Mahomes right away, but great arm talent / good kid and would root for him. QB Coach knows about him. I can see us trading the eventual Trubisky pick and moving down to get 2 good pieces.

Solid as Undercover Brother would say.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. xxedge72x

I see it as hedging your bet because I believe this front office is absolutely committed to finding a franchise QB however long it takes and I don't believe they're going to put all their eggs in one basket. Two years in a row, two QBs with big arms, perfect for throwing in NJ weather despite their other flaws. I believe that like Ron Wolf, Mac will select a QB every single season. I also believe that barring an epic letdown from our young QBs, that McCown will be the last bridge QB the Jets sign before entering a perpetual drafted QB rotation.

Assuming my mock scenario played out, here's how I see each players status going into the upcoming season:

Hackenberg - Will be given a legitimate opportunity to win the job outright, but it won't be predetermined. I think in a perfect world, the Jets would like him to step up and win and roll with it. They won't let him faceplant in the regular season if he does so in the preseason.

McCown - Gets to be the cool uncle for a season and play ball with the kids for a year, showing them tips and tricks along the way while being a role model. If Hackenberg squanders his opportunity, McCown likely gets to start.

Mahomes - Unless he arrives at Florham Park, goes gangbusters and sets the world on fire, he likely gets a redshirt year just like Hackenberg last year. How many practice reps depends on...

Bryce Petty - In my opinion he has the most control over his fate this season, and also is in the most danger. His job this offseason and preseason is to show the Jets he's worth having around going into next offseason when McCown is out. He will also be afforded an opportunity at the starting job this year, but won't be given nearly the amount of leash Hackenberg will get. He really needs to win the #2 job convincingly to stick around. If he barely progresses from last season, the Jets will probably cut him and try to stash him on the practice squad. If he regresses in any significant way, they'll probably cut him and simply move on.

boozer32 and Br4d like this.
  6. xxedge72x

Yeah, I definitely felt Safety was a glaring miss here but I liked all my picks enough to live with the two bums we currently have one more season until we can do something about it.

7. xxedge72x

It definitely seems to be Trubisky or Mahomes. I'm under the impression this FO values arm strength and I'm skeptical that Watson is valued as much as the other two here.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If it has to be any of the QBs, to me it's Mahomes or Kizer, they both have skills you can't teach. Really hate the idea of Trubisky being the QB of this team.

Br4d and xxedge72x like this.
  9. xxedge72x

I'm with you. I don't see a scenario where Trubisky makes sense for the Jets. I don't think he'll be available where I took Mahomes in this mock (not even sure Mahomes will be) and I think taking him at 6 would be a disaster. Truly, if the Jets take him 6 they're dropping all their chips on one number at the roulette table. If they miss that way, should be a resume generating event.

Edited because of my shitty gambling conflation.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting draft, I like getting value and additional picks, but absolutely HATE the McCaffrey pick. That single pick ruins it for me.

I don't like Butt very much, and don't think that Switzer would add that much. I don't know Rivers, but would be surprised if the Jets took two OLBs.

If you replaced McCaffrey with Howard, Rivers with a FS (Delano Hill or John Johnson, or better yet, Desmond King if he falls) and Butt with a RB (Brian Hill, Corey Clement, Jeremy McNichols or maybe D'Onta Foreman) and this would be a HR.

11. richieC

richieC Active Member

Will Mahomes last till pick 24? grabbing him at 11 ahead of cleveland and arizona seems more prudent.
    IF Cook and Mccaffery are both available, still taking Mccaffery? Not a fan of taking a 1st round running back, but i guess i can live with it.

12. xxedge72x

Mahomes likely won't make it to 24. However I really don't know and treated the scenario as if he would.

I prefer McCaffrey to Cook personally. I believe that McCaffrey is the best iteration of the new wave of running backs that could double as slot receivers. If the only thing he's evaluated on is how he runs out of the backfield (really freaking good) then I can see why he'd be ranked lower; his versatility however is unmatched and in the hands of the right offensive coordinator will be a monster.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Mahomes goes early it will be like 2011 minus Cam Newton at the top of the draft. 3 nothing QB's going in the top 12 because everybody was desperate for a QB at the same time.

BomberJet likes this.
  14. xxedge72x

Rivers was a case of making best pick available at the time rather than selecting for need. I think he has an opportunity to go higher than where I'm projecting him to the Jets so if they have a shot at him I hope they take it.

Disagree on McCaffrey and Switzer. Can you elaborate why you really don't like those two?

Edit: As for Butt, I felt the pick was late enough that it was justified value. I made the pick assuming all the other really good TE propsects were gone at this point.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

My brain won't allow me to acknowledge this thread with @xxedge72x 's new avatar.

xxedge72x likes this.
  16. xxedge72x

It needed a shakeup like the team.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO McCaffrey is too much like Forte and Powell. We'd basically have 3 versions of the same RB. He also cannot break tackles or create on his own, and with our OL, I think it imperative that we have a back that can do those things. I think we need a power back and/or a workhorse-type RB who will be the starter. That's not McCaffrey. IMO he's a luxury-type RB for a team that is looking for an additional weapon on offense. He's not the primary weapon or ball carrier. I think he's basically just gonna wind up being a part-time player/3rd down back in the NFL.

In addition, this may be stupid, but when is the last time a white RB was successful in the NFL? Craig James? Mike Alstott?

Switzer may be fine. I've seen highlights on the news of his returns. I just have a bias against UNC football players. While it's dumb to bypass players from a school, by far, more former UNC football players have been busts in the NFL than have been quality players. If you'll notice however, in my suggestions for the changes in your draft, I left Switzer, and would be ok with him.

I really think we need to add a FS in the draft, however. Gilchrist isn't very good, and who knows when he will be healthy and able to play? We can't go into the season with Rontez Miles as the starter at FS or even Doug Middleton.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

My hope is that Petty takes the reigns and run with it. McCown will be cut and Hackenberg and Mahomes and Hackenberg fight it out for 1st clipboard holder. I just can't see Hackenberg grabbing the job away and starting at any point this season.

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I really don't like the McCaffery pick. Basically, he is a younger Bilal Powell and we don't have that luxury to carry two of them. Not with no TE or stud WR to help out whatever QB we throw out there this season. Macc would lose a lot of cool points.

I like the Mahomes pick and the Willis picks. The rest of the draft is huge medical risk (Butts and Jones) and scrubs. I have no problem stashing one injured player for a year but not 2. We are not at that point yet. The TE draft class is deep whereas we do not have to take an injured player but one who can contribute right away. I would swap the McCaffrey pick with TE Njoku. Mahomes and Njoku would get the fan base excited and finally some talent on offense to build around.

xxedge72x likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't share your hate of the picks you mentioned, but I would go along with your alternatives.