WOW! This is like 1983 all over again..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Boomer da G.O.A.T, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Boomer da G.O.A.T

Boomer da G.O.A.T Active Member

Obviously the Jets are about to embark on a franchise altering decision this April. Our trade up to #3 virtually guarantees us ushering in the QB of the future for better or worse and I'm sure we all have a variety of opinions on who that QB should be. Something I didn't truly consider until today is this decision is going to stare us in the face for the next decade no matter what happens. Let's examine...

The Bills - obviously picking a QB in Round 1. At what spot is yet TBD

The Dolphins - setting meetings with Mayfield, restructuring Tannehill. A good bet for a 1st round QB

The Patriots - nearing the end of of the Brady era. No young backup to groom. Will examine QB seriously.

Our division will take a large percentage of the top QB talent in this draft. If we end up with Rosen. It is likely we can be seeing him matchup against Josh Allen in Buffalo twice a year and Baker in Miami another two times a year. Kick down to 2020 and who knows if Luke Falk is now starting for the Patriots. The fact that we are going to so closely be able to compare the success and look back to our decision on QB in this draft reminds me of a time before I was even born.

The 1983 draft --where 6 QBS went in the 1st round. 4 in our division. The Bills getting Jim Kelly, Patriots getting Tony Eason, Jets drafting Ken O'Brien and Dolphins drafting Dan Marino. I don't know of any other time where 4 future franchise QBS would be drafted in the same division within the first 2 rounds but it does add a storybook element to this that I'm sure we will be fascinated to follow.

[​IMG]
    (also if this has been discussed already, sorry)

nycarl, NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Basically a good post, but Mayfield isn't falling to Miami. That's just nuts. He'd better not fall past #3.

If Miami gets a QB it won't be one of the top 4 unless some team likes Rudolph or Jackson more than the QB that falls. They're drafting #11. The Bills are drafting #12 and the Cardinals are drafting #15, either could possibly leapfrog the Dolphins to get a QB.

Darnold, Mayfield or Allen could wind up in Cleveland. Rosen or Allen could wind up with the Giants. Mayfield, Rosen or Allen could wind up with the Jets. I'd be shocked if the Broncos don't take whichever QB falls to them.

I think the QBs will fall like this:

1. Cleveland - Darnold
    2. Giants or Bills - Allen, but possibly Rosen
    3. Jets - Rosen or Mayfield
    5. Broncos - Mayfield or Rosen
    11. Dolphins - Rudolph or Jackson IF they take a QB, but they may wait until the 2nd round
    12. Bills (if they don't trade up further) - Rudolph or Jackson
    15. Cardinals - Will probably wait until the 2nd round, but may try to trade down

I think that the Dolphins, Bills, Cardinals, Saints, Steelers, Pats and any other team who might be looking for a better backup or their future replacement for their present starter are going to have to choose from among Rudolph, Jackson, Falk, White, Lauletta, Ferguson, Litton, Lee, Shimonek, Benkert and McGough. I don't envy them.

#2 NCJetsfan, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and Noam like this.
  3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

5 QBs went in our division:

Elway-Colts*
    Eason-Pats
    Kelly-Bills
    O'Brien-Jets
    Marino-Phins

*Technically correct is the best kind of correct!

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Sadly, 4 of those 5 QBs took their team to the super bowl.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Eason took his team to the SB? Elway didn't take the Colts to the SB, but rather the Broncos.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Yes, Eason took the Pats to the superbowl against the Bears. I counted the Broncos for Elway as that is what became the only team he would play for. In that scenario then I guess it would only be fair to count Blackledge as well and say 4 of 6. Regardless it is amazing 4 superbowl QBs and 5 QBs drafted in one division. I never realized that until the above post by Two Headed.

stinkyB and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Our choice at 3 will be Mayfield /Rosen

Or just the Sooner..

I am fine with that!

Mogriffjr likes this.
  8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling we're gonna finally get our guy this time.

We've suffered enough.

9. Boomer da G.O.A.T

Boomer da G.O.A.T Active Member

A transformational time for the AFC East either way

nycarl and Cman68 like this.
  10. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

JetLifeLo, K'OB, stinkyB and 4 others like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sooner or allater we'll have rosen our QB, hopefully it's not lamar of the sam.

12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

You had to remind us. Now that you said this, the Jets are going to draft Mason Rudolph at the #3 and leave analysts stunned, just like when we drafted O'brien over Marino.

"The Jets must know something that we don't!"

#12 Sam Hammer, Mar 21, 2018
  13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

So basically this is like 83 where the Jets could have drafted 2 franchise QBs but drafted Ken Obrien instead and went no where.Thankfully i wasnt alive for this yet.I really hope this the opposite of what happend in the 83 draft.Trust me the Jets will find a way to fuck this up they always do.

Out of the hundreds of draft day decisons over the last 2 decades how many have they gotten right?5 or 6 out of hundreds of picks?Its the same odds as winning powerball that the Jets get this right.

#13 LongIslandBlitz, Mar 21, 2018
  14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Can you imagine how some of us feel. After all that we're on the verge of the AFCCG in '86 only to have Gastineau snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory in KC with a roughing the passer penalty when the fucking play was over already.
    Of course that was not long after the most sickening loss ever in Miami in the AFCCG.

nycarl and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Get off Kenny O’s dick already. For all the championships Marino won I’m more than happy to have rooted for Kenny over that toolshed.

LAJet, jetophile, fggrimes and 5 others like this.
  16. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

If you had seen Kenny play, you may not be of this opinion. He was much better than many
    on this board give him credit for.

LAJet, nycarl and fggrimes like this.
  17. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Where they were destroyed by the Bears

Cman68 likes this.
  18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Two? One.

Everyone passed on Marino.

19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I can't ever understand how the Jets get so much shit for the '83 draft, and nobody ever mentions the Chiefs. Hell, the Kelly ran from the Bills all the way out of the NFL. AND he wasn't even the Bills first pick that draft--they picked forgettable TE Tony Hunter two picks earlier!

Elway threatened to run all the way to the Yankees to get away from the Colts!
    The Steelers had a chance to replace Bradshaw with PITT star Marino, and picked Gabriel "Senor Sack" Rivera instead (Guy could have been a monster if it hadn't been for a horrific car accident, but still--not Marino).

How is it the Jets are the ones who come out of this looking like chumps????

Ptflea2, Chappy13 and LF911SC like this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Like I said in another thread, if out of the 6 QB's at the top of this draft, if 3 become HOF's, I'm hoping one of them is a Jet.

Royal Tee and TwoHeadedMonster like this.