Would you coach me? I’d coach me...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Oct 7, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Of 32 teams, obviously there are some that are much more desirable destinations than others.

While the Jets have been a somewhat dysfunctional group for a while, there are a number of positives along with the negatives that a coach would consider when offered this job. Each of them I’ll rate on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best score.

1. Organizational Stability: 4
    -The Johnsons actually have been relatively stable at coach, giving Rex Ryan 6 years and Todd Bowls 4 years. Adam Gase at 2 is not great but you’d be able to explain that away. The worse look is the 4th GM in less than 10 years. This score would go down firing Gase mid season. The bad contracts to free agents and strange decisions also factor.

2. General Manager: 7
    -While unproven the word is Joe Douglas is highly respected in the NFL community.

3. Quarterback: 7 (Probably)
    -Depending on how the season progresses, the coach will either have a high draft pick to choose his new QB, a re-emerging Sam Darnold, or Cap Space to choose basically any veteran available. It’s not higher because there is no established Franchise QB but in terms of options, it’s pretty good.

4. The Roster: 3
    -Let’s face it, the Jets roster sucks. You’ve got Quinnen Williams, and Mekhi Becton, and possibly a few others (plus a couple of defensive linemen and maybe depth elsewhere).

5. Draft Capital: 9
    -The Jets have fantastic draft capital for a new coach. Multiple first round picks for two years, 5 in the top 100 this year. Multiple mid round picks this year as well.

6. Salary Cap Health: 8
    -The Jets will enter 2021 with very little in either dead money or commitment to bad contracts. The new coach will have no financial restrictions when constructing his new team.

So the Jets have scores of 4, 7, 7, 3, 9, 8.

Overall I would say that’s a pretty high score. Most situations with a higher score would not have vacant HC jobs. Now just don’t do anything to screw up your score.

2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Do that for the Texans now, be curious to see which job is better. Maybe any other teams with coaches on the hot seat.

3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Not the explanation, just the #s

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd say the Texans and Falcons will be more desirable teams. I'm assuming Quinn will get axed in Atlanta. Both have a FQB and are closer to the playoffs roster wise than the Jets are.

6. For Atlanta,Ryan & Jones are on the downside & that team’s psych clearly hasnt recovered from 2017. Theyre likely close to breaking things down

Houston also has a fractured team psych,has zero cap space & crap for early draft picks over the next 2 yrs. They will likely have to partially break things down & build again around Watson

#6 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2020
    JetsNation06, NCJetsfan and JetBlue like this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

texans did a ton of damage to their draft capital, not to mention losing Nuk and little cap space. FQB is their saving grace but they will need to retool a ton

Ryan is on the wrong side of a 30 and not much cap space too IIRC.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  8. MaximusD163

1. Organizational Stability: 4
    -Brian Gaine was hired as GM in 2018 only to be released 1 year later. Bill O'Brien took over the GM role combined with HC, only to be fired mid-season 1.25 years later. Jack Easterby is their VP of Football Operations and now the most powerful man in the organization, and I would not want to go there at least from this perspective.

2. General Manager: N/A
    -It depends on who they hire and if the HC would have input on this front.

3. Quarterback: 9
    -Despite a rough start this year, Deshaun Watson is a young QB who has shown more than just flashes of elite play, and he is under contract for some time.

4. The Roster: 6
    -Although there is some talent on the team, it is contracted in a certain image. Will Fuller will be a FA, Watt looks old... Will Cooks be there next year? You still have Tunsil (LT), Cunningham (ILB), Roby (CB) and Nick Martin (C) and you could say Mercilus (ED) but overall nothing special here.

5. Draft Capital: 3
    -No 1st or 2nd round pick this year.

6. Salary Cap Health: 4
    -Not unmanageable but not very good. The flexibility is rough... They have overpaid for some guys or over-guaranteed some guys (Tunsil, Cobb) but they can release McKinney and Cooks and make some space. Not dreadful but not a draw to a coach. I would not have to be the one to make the decision on what to do with Watt's contract.

4, N/A, 9, 6, 3, 4

The Jets job would absolutely be more desirable.

9. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

It’s a marquee job from the standpoint that if you are successful, then you will be set financially for life because you will have multiple coaching opportunities available once you leave

In a market like NY, success and failure are both magnified

So it’s a high risk-high reward setup

Very similar situation with the Knicks

What both owners have in common is that they have terrible personalities which dissuade competent coaches from wanting to join the organization

Dolan and the Johnsons are simply not very relatable or likeable people

Both douchebags

Like our Super Genius President!

10. MaximusD163

I did Texans, I'll do Falcons too

11. MaximusD163

1 is not one. It just feels that way because it's personal. The Browns and Washington both have been worse in this fashion for a decade or more. Arguably the Jaguars as well.

3 could be a floor of 6 if somehow the Jets manage to win themselves out of the top 5 picks and Darnold looks awful. Because of the options however, it remains a higher score.

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If I were a new coach, I’d take the job. This year was the sacrificial lamb for the new HC.

A likely first overall pick, a ton of other draft capital (4 firsts in 2 years, 3 picks in the first 34), and a decent amount of cap will make this job appealing to someone that instantly wants to make the roster “theirs”.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. MaximusD163

Falcons:

1. Organizational Stability: 8
    -Mike Smith and Dan Quinn both had years to turn things around. Demitroff has been GM for over a decade. Some questionable FA signings but I won't lower their score too much for that.

2. General Manager: N/A
    -Because Demitroff may get the axe as well, I put N/A. if he stays, I would put a 5 here.

3. Quarterback: 8
    -Matt Ryan is on the older side, but he is still a very good QB, and can win games and not be a liability.

4. The Roster: 5
    -Offensively the roster is quite good, however the defense is in shambles. They have Deion Jones (LB) and Grady Jarrett (DT), and maybe Keanu Neal (S). Their 1st round pick AJ Terrell (CB) needs to step up.

5. Draft Capital: 6
    -They will likely pick in the top 10 but don't have additional picks so 6 is a pretty average score.

6. Salary Cap Health: 2
    -The Falcons cap is in bad shape. To even be cap compliant next year, they need to double/triple down on a bunch of their biggest contracts.

Overall The Falcons would probably be an equally desirable job but from a different perspective.

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

2, 5, 5, 1, 9, 9

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Draft capital at 3 is 3 too high with no 1st or 2nd this season and aren't they missing next years 1st also?

and as for the bolded part

Except it is is the Jets

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

for a new coach the jets are actually in a good position.

owners give ample time to coaches, GM is well respected. lots of draft capital and cap room. tons of roster flexiblity. the only bad part is we have a deep roster of solid players but lack on the top end elite players and have huge gaping holes at important positions (CB, WR, Edge)

18. MaximusD163

So for Comparison...

1. Organizational Stability: NYJ-4, HOU-4, ATL-8
    2. General Manager: NYJ-7, HOU-N/A, ATL-5 or N/A
    3. Quarterback: NYJ-7, HOU-9, ATL-8
    4. The Roster: NYJ-3, HOU-6, ATL-5
    5. Draft Capital: NYJ-9, HOU-2, ATL-6
    6. Salary Cap Health: NYJ-8, HOU-4, ATL-2

The Jets is the most desirable for someone to build from the ground up. The Falcons more from a try to win now with vets and figure out what to do after.
    If you use averages, it assumes these aspects factor equally which is not true but for simplicity: NYJ-6.33, HOU-5, ATL 5.67

19. MaximusD163

They are not missing next year's 1st, they gave up their 1st's from 2020 and 2021 for Tunsil. They have a 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7 this year and all of their picks next year. Below 3 would have to be worse than that

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd add in Jacksonville too.

#20 NCJetsfan, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    KurtTheJetsFan and boozer32 like this.