Would benching Sanchez "ruin him"?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Some people are suggesting that this is the case.

Is it true - and if so should we not bench him until garbage time in the season?

#1 ouchy, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Is he not ruined already? To me it's time to move on from Sanchez. The more he plays this season the more confidence he will lose and I think he's already at a point where his psyche is permanently damaged. I do think Sanchez had the ability to a be a very good QB in this league. I think the Jets did a bad job of getting him to where he needs to be mechanically and mentally.

3. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

If mark cant handle banging hot chicks he can alwasys come on my next deployment. With me

4. Munich1860

Munich1860 New Member

it looks like he is a nice guy and a good one, too BUT...

not the real QB for a franchise in this city with absolutly no real WR

Eli got 3,4,5 good WR´s on the Giants side but what got Mark?
    #10 who never was/is is good friend and WR and what else?

He can only be as good as the people who r around him and so I say that
    this will be his last season as a #1 QB

Leinart, Young...and now Sanchez...

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

As I said on another thread, I don't give a shit about Sanchez's mental state. I care far more about mine as a fan, and he has done very little for my mental state so why should i care about his?

6. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Sanchez is already busted trash. There isn't much lower any QB can go than what we witnessed on Sunday.

7. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

Sanchez is a stand up guy. And he has shown flashes. But his performance is consistently inconsistent :( Sanchez is great 1 week and horrible for 3 weeks and the cycle continues. That season we were 11-5 was mostly luck. I love the guy and I had been defending him since the beginning. But its year 4 man.... If he bombs out against Huston I don't see how Rex dosent pull him... Poor receiving corps or not. Rex has a job to protect, and the inept O is killing the morale of the defense and the fan base.... Sanchez is walking on very very thin ice

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The only thing benching Mark Sanchez would ruin is the franchise's chance to compete for a Super Bowl sometime in the next 3 seasons or so.

If they're starting over at QB given the other talent issues on the roster they're starting over on creating a Super Bowl window.

Now, I don't think keeping Sanchez on the field does a lot to prop the window open at this point but I know that taking him off slams it shut.

That's what bad management leaves you with: a series of increasingly narrow bad choices to make and the hope that you get very lucky on most of them.

9. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

To answer the question: yes, it would.

And to follow up on that point, no, it doesn't matter. He's not a Super Bowl quality QB. He's a Kyle Orton kind of guy. He can start, or he can be a top-notch back-up, but he's not the guy you build a team around.

10. yahoo

yahoo Banned

Benching can only help Sanchez at this point. He needs a dose of reality.

11. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

The more I ponder it, the more I think they should have had a better option than Brunell. Sanchez should have sat more of that 09 season and perhaps he would be better now.

There is a weight added to starting on an apparently good team. And when you struggle, those around you say "C'mon man", it can just become a distraction.

12. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

This is the problem with some of u fans. I'm not taking up Sanchez but a young QB need weapons around him. That something they have not done for him. This is not all on Sanchez.

13. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

If it ruins him he shouldn't be starting in the first place. Regardless, I don't think we're going to get better results with Tebow since we have LESS weapons than Denver had last year and a worse defense.

14. dreamsfloatjoe

dreamsfloatjoe New Member

I do not know about 'ruin'. I do know it does not appear to be a problem for Kyle Orton to carry a clipboard, especially for the big bucks no whammy these guys get paid. It's time for Mark to go write his book, ruined or not.

15. reverseapachemaster

The only people saying it would "ruin him" by making his feelings hurt are Tebow fans.

Benching him would say the team isn't moving forward with him as a starter. That means he'll want to go somewhere else. If he gets benched and then they come back around and want to start him in the late season, what's his incentive to fight to regain the confidence of the other players? He can just ride out his contract and go elsewhere. That's why it "ruins him" for the Jets.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep. Sanchez should not have touched the field in 2009 except during pre-game warmups.

When Carson Palmer came out of USC as a much more accomplished QB and the #1 overall choice he sat his entire rookie season and watched Jon Kitna play.

The problem is the Jets were using Sanchez to sell PSL's. They couldn't do that with him on the sidelines. In the end they failed on both counts. They didn't sell all the PSL's that they wanted too and they didn't develop a QB either.

This has the smell of an impresario owner to it. The question is whether Woody Johnson is the next Harry Wismer or the next Sonny Werblin?

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

you dont bench a guy and then go back to him, so benching Sanchez would send us into full out rebuilding

18. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

sometimes benching a player motivates and brings the best out of him. You cannot put the whole blame on this guy, he does not have much to work with, QB is probably the hardest position in all of sports, and with no or little support around you, how can you possibly look good out there?

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

you bench WR's, TE's, RB's and DB's

you dont bench QB's, LT's, C's and Revis

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if getting benched would ruin him, then he is already worthless if he is so emotionally fragile.

benching Sanchez wouldn't ruin him, it would simply mean his time with the Jets is over because benching him is a very obvious admittance that he is not the solution to the Jets QB needs.