Would 4-12 with Clemens be a disaster or first step?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In 1997 The indianapolis Colts bottomed out at 3-13. The starter at QB on that team was a respected veteran QB, Jim Harbaugh, who had seen better days and had not played a full season since 1992.

The one bright side to the 3-13 finish was the Colts got a chance to draft Peyton Manning with the 1st overall pick in the draft. There was a consensus around the time of the pick that the Colts would either keep Harbaugh or get another journeyman starter and slowly phase Manning in during the 1998 season.

New head coach Jim Mora had other plans though. He wanted to get his rebuilding program jumpstarted and he made the crucial decision to trade Harbaugh, who had lead the Colts to the playoffs in 1995 and 1996, in the weeks following the draft.

Manning played 16 games as a rookie and the Colts rebuilding program worked brilliantly as they rebounded from the 3-13 record of his rookie season to 13-3 and then 10-6 in his second and third years.

Obviously Kellen Clemens is not Peyton Manning, but wouldn't it be better for the Jets as a franchise to get him on the field as soon as possible so that he can start learning how to be a winning NFL QB?

8-8 is about as far as Chad could take us and even that is a bit of a pipedream. Wouldn't we be better off at 4-12 with Clemens having 16 starts under his belt going into 2007?

2. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Alhtough I usually think it's wiser to let a kid like this sit for at least a year, I'd like to see him start this year and get some experience, provided he shows enough in training camp. I'm not expecting much this year anyway in the way of wins/losses (well, wins, anyway :) ).

3. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

I like the idea of getting him playing time this year but I dont think its a good idea to make him the starter opening day. I think we at least need to get by week 2 that pats game could be a tuff one.

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

If the Jets feel that Clemens is the long term answer at QB, I don't see any harm in getting him in there to learn the ropes as soon as possible. With the salary cap I think it's important to get as much out of young players while they're relatively cheap.

5. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

FInd out what he is. Don't make the same mistake the Raiders have for the last three drafts. When Rich Gannon's career was ended with a neck injury and the Raiders finding themselves with a QB situation as bad as the Jets this off season, they turned to a failed former first round pick to solve their problem, Kerry Collins.

Having solved their QB problem they used their first two picks in that 2004 draft on the highest rated OT and highest rated C in the draft to build their infrastructure to protect their new QB. They passed on Phillip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger. Sound familiar?

The following year they drafted their QB of the future in the 3rd round Walter Andrew who sat on their bench last year. The Raiders loved his arm strength and intangibles but didn't play him at all still calling him their QB of the future. That decision enabled them to pass on Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler in this years draft.

Sitting Clemmons and letting him learn for a year to me means they will pass on QB's next year, in a very good draft for QB's including Brady Quinn, Brian Brohm and Drew Stanton.

They should let Clemmons sink or swim this year or face the prospect of making the same 'Commitmment to Excellence" mistakes the Raiders have made for the last three drafts, bypassing Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler by putting all their marbles on a prospect who had a mediocre college career performance wise but had the arm strength and intangibles that make the Ron Jaworski's and Merril Hoge's of the world all weak in the knees. If he is good as they claim, there is no excuse for babying him at the expense of getting a true franchise QB in next years draft, especially since it is apparent that Jet fans are willing to give the Jets a pass on this upcoming stinker of a season.

6. croden14

croden14 New Member

disaster because its a new offense for everyone, let ramsey or pennington get the first year, see what happens, maybe get clemens in a little, then next year he can play more or even start. i feel they have a good enough D and O-line for them to win 5 or 6 games

7. njjet

njjet Member

I think its nuts to start Clemens this year! We need time to develop a decent OL. We had three QB injured last year do to a weak OL. Why jeopardize Clemens just for the sake of a few wins this year? :jets:

8. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

i'd rather clemens come in like week 4 or 5 over him starting the first week. Just so he can get a feel for things to start out. But, if he proves he deserves the starting job in the preseason and we do indeed go 4 and 12 with him, that wouldn't be a disaster. He's a rookie qb and your right the colts did worse. So i would see it as a first step.

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

you are assured whenever he starts that we will have a losing season. We're pretty much also assured of having a losing season this year, anyway. Therefore, I say start him now, let him take his lumps along with the rest of them, and get our future started sooner.

10. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Im my opinion, there is almost NOTHING to be learned carrynig a clipboard. Whenever you start your first game, you will be nervous. May as well get it over with. It would be a little different if the vet on the team had a command of the offense, but the fact is the offense is new for ALL 3 QBs (and the one CFL QB) on the roster.

11. CmartinHOF

CmartinHOF New Member

i say start him

12. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It would be a disaster to start Clemmons this year. First, the OL is being rebuilt and needs this year to gel and learn. Why would you want to put the possible future franchise QB behind that line now and risk an injury? Second, it is rare for a rookie QB to start and even more rare for that first season to be a productive one. Let him sit and learn for a year. For every Peyton Manning there are 10 David Carr's whose careers are ruined because the spend their early years running for their lives and getting sacked 50 times a season. Lastly, this next year's draft stuff is nonsense. You have no idea where the Jets will draft, who will be available and whether the player will be successful. Let's worry about who is on the team now and not make plans for next year's draft in July.

I can wait a year or two. Let's be just a little patient here.

13. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

a strong FIRST STEP into a great future! PLay KELLEN ASAP! CHAD is not the future and neither is BOLLY or RAMSEY!

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The 4-12 part, I don't much care about that given that this year will involve a heavy learning curve for everyone from the CS right on down to the Ball Boy. As to Clemens, eh, mixed. I think the QB scenario will play itself out the way it has to. If Chad can play - and play effectively - they should let him. Why? Because as to how much that affects the rest of the team regarding who is at the helm and the W/L column, that's a matter of perspective that won't be evident until it plays itself out, too. Seeing as everyone is in the same boat as to education right now, half a dozen of one, half a dozen of the other. I just want them to lose productively, and this is the time to do it across the board.

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

you cant make this year a "sink or swim" season for clemens. That's absolutely absurd. There is no way of telling what this kid will be after one season. Especially since this season will be a learning season for everyone, not to mention a completely re-vamped line.

Even if clemens was horrible after this season, the jets would say "ok, he sucks, lets draft another qb this year". The jets are not getting brady quinn, let that go already.

I dont think its ever the best idea to throw a young qb in there like that. Maybe by mid-season at the earliest. But regardless of how clemens performs, next training camp he will still be the number one project, they will not be drafting another qb to compete with him

#15 jonnyd, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2005
  16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

whoever gives us the best chance to win this year....whether it be penny, ramsey, clemons, or even brooks.....look i don't think we will be good, but with our joke of a scheduale, you still have to play the season for a super bowl championship..... wierd things happen in the nfl now a days

With qb grooming, letting him sit or play has both been a proven effective method, so i say go with whoever gives us the best chance to win this year

17. dbatesman

dbatesman New Member

Perfectly said. I'd rather go 4-12 and know for sure whether Clemens is or isn't our QB of the future than go 8-8 and go through last year's "should we keep Pennington?" debate all over again.

It's pretty simple, really: we start whoever seems to give us the best chance to win, regardless of who it might be or how much NFL experience he has.

18. GreenMachine

Gee, when was the last time the Jets left the "future" QB on the bench for a vet coming off an injury?

Anyone know?

19. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Whatever Mangini does, I trust.

Clemens is the most NFL ready QB out of this year's class according to several "experts". However, I think that watching from the bench has both it's ups and downs for our future. I mean, if Kellen starts immediately, we could go through the growing pains immediately and possibly minimize mistakes in the long-term future and take the pain right away.

Then again, we could have a quality player from the get go if we give him time to learn and adapt to our playbook and the speed/change from college to the big leagues.

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If he wins the job in training camp start him, if he doesn't let him sit until whoever does falters. The clock is running on his carrier he is only going to get more expensive in the future we might as well make the push during his rookie contract.