With preseason approaching: What are some aspects/players that you'll be focused in on?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 4, 2016.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

It's about that time. August 11th and we'll open up our preseason at home against Jacksonville. As a fan base we're only 7 days away from finally seeing our players take the field. Only one week away. Feels like it's been a long time coming.

With that said I'll start it off with a top 5. Looking forward to other posters thought process heading into our preseason as well.

■ The play of Ryan Clady. At the age of 29 he's a 4x Pro Bowler, 2x 1st Team All-Pro and a 1x 2nd Team All-Pro. Back in 2009 Clady set an NFL record for consecutive games starting off a career without allowing a full sack (through 20 games only allowed 1/2 a sack). In 2012 Clady allowed just one sack throughout the entire season. Made his 4th Pro Bowl as recent as 2015 (2014's play) etc. When healthy he's got HOF pass protection ability but unfortunately he's coming off a torn ACL injury (last May). It'll be different not watching Ferguson at LT after 10 years of play so I'll be keeping a close eye on Clady throughout preseason. Our offenses success could hinder on his ability to remain healthy. Just the other day he stated he's confident he'll get back to All-Pro status so I'm anxious to see him compete.

■ Hackenberg & Petty. Looking forward to watching our two young guns. Even as a Geno supporter I believe it's safe to say Fitzpatrick is our 2016 starter therefore I'm expecting to see lots of play from both Hack & Petty throughout preseason (especially during our 1st & 4th games). I'm especially anxious to see our 2nd round rookie take the field with a cannon for an arm in Hackenberg. Hopeful to see improved accuracy/completion percentage while no longer being surrounded by Penn State's atrocious offensive line.

■ Lee, Jenkins & Mauldin @ LB. I mean, it's only preseason, so I'm expecting a very vanilla approach on defense without a complex X's and O's type of strategy but nonetheless I can't wait to see our youngblood's speed & athletism jump out through the teliveson screen. Ready to see these kids out in pass coverage as well. These three younger LB's surrounding Harris as a tackling machine (coming off 108 tackles/4.5 sacks) has got to be the unit that I'm most looking forward to this up coming season.

■ Jalin Marshall. Undrafted or not this kid out of Ohio State has been the talk of training camp. Receiving high praise from the likes of Fitzpatrick, Brandon Marshall, Decker & our coaching staff. He's smaller, fast, very quick & shifty so I assume he'll be working out of the slots more often than not. What I'm most excited about regarding Jalin is on special teams returning both kickoffs and punts as our potential/future return man.

■ Marcus Williams, Dee Milliner & Dexter McDougle all competing to play opposite of Revis as our #2 CB. Could make for a great cornerback battle throughout preseason. Revis & Skrine are, imo, locked in as #1 (Revis) & Nickel-back (Skrine). I also believe Williams after 6 INT's is the hands on favorite to start opposite of Revis as our #2. So it may really come down to Milliner vs. McDougle fighting for the Dime position (which Bowles loved to run). The loser out of Milliner & McDougle for the Dime-back position will then have to settle for Quarters formations as our 5th CB fighting for a roster spot. I'm intrigued by our competition at Corner.

So many different players & topics I wanted to touch basis on but I'd have to say that's my top 5 list heading into preseason.

#1 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    twown likes this.
  2. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Marcus Williams is the best option at #2 CB hands down.

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

I defently agree especially after emerging literally out of nowhere while ranking top 5 amongst the league with 6 interceptions (8 being the NFL high).

It's more than just his 6 INT's. For example this kid plays with strong technique, turns his head and plays the ball, recorded multiple pass deflections and has shown lots of coverage ability within both man to man and zone coverage. Has a little FS ball hawking approach as well.

I personally believe Williams is an up & comer and a lock for #2 opposite of Revis but both Milliner & McDougle should be A nice battle during preseason fighting for right's to our Dimeback position as our 4th corner. Which is a big time role considering how often Todd Bowles runs out dime packages.

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

That's pretty debatable depending on whether or not Milliner is healthy.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  5. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I was high on Williams all year last year and even in 2014 but from the reports in camp Buster, Dee, Dex and Burris have outperformed him.

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I'm waiting to see Milliner healthy and beat out Williams. We'll see about that. IF he can that would a be nice addition to the CB position and it's depth also.

7. Walt White

Me too. Bowles seems to like him also. But if those other guys are out performing him that's a good thing.

Skrine's a good player. I liked the Burris pick and would love to seem them score on that pick. 40 time wasn't the greatest but he has beasty attributes

8. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Based on Milliner's performance on his rookie season, then yes, it's debatable but come on, when was the last time the kid was healthy? I'd bet anyone a 100 bucks the kid has another injury this TC or preseason.

JETS1116 likes this.
  9. Walt White

No thanks. :)

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

I know Marcus Gilchrist is a solid/sound overall FS but he's not much of a playmaker in terms of a roaming of the outfield type. Over the past 3 years as a full-time starter (48 starts) has only recorded 6 INT's with 1 fumble recovery.

With that said, say Milliner were to breakout, stay healthy and become our #2 CB, is there any chance Williams can impact as a ball hawking FS? A ball hawking FS opposite of an animal in Pryor, behind this pass rush could be dynamic.

CB #1: Revis.
    CB #2: Milliner.
    Nickel: Skrine.
    Dime: McDougle.
    FS: Williams.
    SS: Pryor.

Thoughts?

Because I also see FS ball hawking ability written all over Marcus Williams style of play.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

McDougle is not in the conversation. Not really knocking him, but Williams and Milliner (when fit) are legit starting corners, IMO. It's great to have this kind of depth -- at least for now -- at multiple position groups. Very un-Jets like! I must admit to getting pumped about it. Someone seems to be doing something right.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Once WR Robinson left for the NFL Hackenberg was then literally left behind without any offensive weapons along with an atrocious offensive line, all while starting for a Penn State program in which lost recruits due to being sanctioned/punished by the NCAA.

I know he's considered to struggle with accuracy due to poor completion% but which QB's coming out could've possibly flourished under those situations/circumstance with an impressive completion percentage?

I don't know. I'm just really excited to see Hackenberg under Center with a cannon for an arm. After his Freshman season was ranked as the #1 College quarterback prospect (and then Penn State happened).

Anxious to see Hack on the field behind an offensive line not named Penn State. We should really see a lot of Hack & Petty this up coming preseason (starting with Jacksonville).

PaPZ187 likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I understand he was thrown into the fire as they didn't want to sign another safety vs. the Raiders but they tried Williams at safety and he was a disaster that game. I like him a lot as a zone corner, but safeties need to be physical tacklers, both free and strong. Williams has a place in this league as a cover 3 corner but I don't trust him as the last line of defense. Gilchrist is pretty good, so I don't really see this happening outside of emergency situations.

Devin McCourty has only 4 interceptions over the past 3 years (45 starts ) and is one of the best safeties in football. Breaking up plays and not allowing bombs over your head is just as valuable of an attribute to a defense as picks. Especially when that player is reliable.

Also note that Gilchrist has developed into a solid tackler, but was a converted cornerback forced to play a more in the box strong safety spot in San Diego because Eric Weddle was there. So his turnover stats may be a bit skewed against him.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think I've ever seen a worse game at safety.

15. Walt White

Holy shit. Check out Demarrio Davis. God he sucked. Whoa

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yessir. He's a god awful tackler. Pretty good at finding the ball at corner in a zone, but his angles are just terrible.

hastygreen likes this.
  17. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

-I am eager to see all the QBs play on this team. Who has made progress? Who still needs more time? Does Fitz have some rust still stuck to his game? Does a QB standout from the rest?

-Interested in watching these players just to see how they perform: Mauldin, Clady, Lee, Miliner, Pryor, Amaro.

FlaJet likes this.
  18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Demario Davis, thought you could tackle, then football happened. Erin Henderson better.

hastygreen likes this.
  19. DefenseWinsChampionships

Nice post PennyandtheJets. Another player who I'm ready to watch is Charone Peake. He's an underrated topic of discussion heading into preseason but this kid can flat out play.

Came into college as a top 15 National H.S recruit for Clemson but ended up suffering an acl injury during his Junior season of 2013. Was also stuck behind the likes of DeAndre Hopkins, Martavis Bryant & Sammy Watkins.

Although last season (2015) with Deshaun Watkins as QB was fully utilized and ended up having his biggest season as a 5th year Senior putting up 50 receptions, 716 receiving yards & 5 TD receptions. Also put up 6 receptions for 99 yards against Alabama during the National Championship game.

Didn't have the most accomplished college career but hopefully on the NFL level he can stay healthy and emerge as a kid with an outstanding combination of length, size & speed being 6'2/6'3 and plays like a #1 WR on the outside. Has very good deep speed on balls downfield.

Something has been growing down in the Clemson waters in terms of producing talented WR's. I'm hopeful Peake can impact while making a name for himself during preseason as yet another young receiver prospect heading into the regular season alongside Jalin Marshall.

Below is his game film against an SEC defense vs Alabama during last year's National Championship game.

20. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

The right side of the O-Line currently with Breno & Winters and the competitors to replace them.