WilsonJetsFan's "Maximize Draft Capital" mock draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WilsonJetsFan, Mar 21, 2022.

1. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Since we have lots of needs and this draft is pretty deep at our greatest position of needs, I tried a different approach to the mock draft. Instead of seeing who was available when the Jets’ turn came up, I traded early and often to get out of the top half of the first round and see how big of a collection I could rack up by passing on the top 15 players. Outside the top 15, when I got to a position where it seemed like there were a lot of equally good players still on the board, I would trade down a few spots, collect capital, and then pick one of the “equally good” players. Here’s what I ended up with:

Trades:

There were lots, but the bottom line is that I got all the players below PLUS the following picks in 2023:

1st round (from Philadelphia)

2nd round (from Atlanta)

3rd round (from Dallas)

5th round (from KC)

I did have to give up our 2023 5th round pick, but otherwise maintained our 2023 picks But overall, this mock draft significantly boosted our 2023 draft capital.

And then we got the following players this year:

R1, pick 16: Jameson Williams (WR)

R1, pick 24: Jermain Johnson II (Edge)

R2, pick 35: Lewis Cine (S)

R2, pick 38: Jalen Pitre (CB)

R2, pick 43: Skyy Moore (WR)

R2, pick 51: Brian Asamoa (LB)

R2, pick 62: Trey McBride (TE)

R3, pick 69: Dylan Parham (G)

R3, pick 83: Christian Watson (WR)

R3, pick 103: Tyler Allgeier (RB)

This approach doesn’t give you the flash of a couple top 10 players, but it’s a lot of quality players this year and a huge improvement in our draft capital next year.

I ran a couple more mocks with this approach, and while the details changed each time, the approach always paid off in a large haul this year and a huge improvement in next year’s capital.

I'm a fan of the "trade down and maximize draft capital" approach.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

First, I don't think that would ever happen in real life. Second, I don't think Jermaine Johnson falls to pick #24 or Christian Watson falls to pick #83. I also think you took Skyy Moore waaaaaay too early. Christian Watson is a MUCH better prospect than Moore imo. Unlike most Jets fans, I'm not a fan of McBride, and would rather have several of the other TEs over him. Pitre was great in college, but the scouting reports have seemed to indicate that he's not going to be nearly as good in the NFL due to stiffness, lack of change of direction fluidity. I'm also not a big fan of Asamoah. He would be OK as just depth, but if you see him as a starter either this year or within a year or two, I think you'll be disappointed.

On the positive side, I do love the Johnson, Williams, Cine, Parham, Watson and Allgeier picks.

The other thing is that imo the focus on the draft should be on this year, NOT 2023. We want to get extra picks this year if we trade down, so the players can be learning and developing this year, and the team hopefuly be ready to compete in 2023, not have them be rookies in 2023 and possibly not ready to contribute.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that works in simulators but not realistic. trade downs happen more in the mid rounds for extra late picks

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

It’s a bit out there but I like the effort. If we trade back I think it’s because AH/KT are off the board and a team looking to jump Carolina for a QB is in play. After that I’m not sure it makes sense.

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

While I appreciate your effort, that was a lot of work. I doubt many teams will be looking to trade up. This draft is not strong at the top of Rd 1, compared to other years. Rankings from after the top 5 to the high teens are interchangeable. I believe players like Devin Lloyd & Jermaine Johnson could go anywhere from # 6 to 15.

The strength of this draft is at the top of Rd 2, a great place and timing for the Jets.

Also, teams trade up for a blue chip QB, this class of QBs is underwhelming.

I really like most of your draft picks, especially Johnson, Watson and Cine. Cine would be perfect for our defense. Cine, IMO, is a must have in Rd 2 for the Jets.

#5 WW85, Mar 21, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    NCJetsfan likes this.