Will the Super Bowl ever be PPV?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BrowningNagle, May 16, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

With this announcement of an NFL playoff game being exclusive to Peacock subscribers, it seems the NFL is pushing some boundaries

it makes me want to ask my TGG brothers do you think in our lifetimes the Super Bowl will be pay-per-view ala big boxing and UFC fights?

second question, if yes, how much would they charge for that?

I’ll finish by saying I think it would be some BS but with Goodell in charge it’s a valid question

2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I would hope not but with the NFL if they can make more money this way then they will do it. If they take a financial hit, then they will learn their quickly and never do it again.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine it would right? How much less would they be able to charge for commercial airtime knowing viewership would most likely drop b/c PPV?

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

This. I'd say more than half the people that actually "watch" the superbowl aren't even real football fans. How many of those would be willing to pay to watch it.
    This would be the story of killing the golden goose....

Leicester Jet and Brook! like this.
  5. stinkyB

Is this seriously a thing?

6. BrowningNagle

7. stinkyB

Well that's fucking bullshit..... I'm sure the JETS will be in that game too...

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Greed

I hope no one pays

No worries because if the jets manage to be in it I will attend in person!

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

The big income is from commercials. Zero chance NFL will sacrifice commercial income from Superbowl to favor the streaming. So I say no

NY Jets68 and Leicester Jet like this.
  10. Brook!

It is unfortunately.

11. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

If you have a good VPN and a little knowledge you can already get all of the PPV Boxing and UFC fights for free

12. BrowningNagle

i understand your guys' point about the commercials but why couldn't they host it on PPV AND sell commercials? Get their cake and eat it too :(

13. Brook!

More than half of the audience watch Superbowl for non football reasons. NFL would be dumb to put Superbowl behind a pay wall

joe and BrowningNagle like this.
  14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They made $600M from commercials last SB and that number would likely drop but by how much? For sure many, many bars would be buying the PPV and you would get a minimum of 20M people would buy the PPV I would think (10% of the total viewing population from last SB). I think they would easily make up that lost ad revenue. But what does the actual TV contract say and how much would they lose in the next negotiated deal with the networks?

I think the big loss would be long term, the NFL already has been declining in popularity and this move would surely hasten the departure of others. They may be counting on NFL in Europe to make up for that decline but I don't think it would be a net positive for them.

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The amount of money that it would cost a bar would be insane. The pricing for those establishments is based off of seating and how much viewership your bar or restaurant can hold. I remember few years ago I went to a family friends bar to watch a Mayweather fight and they had to block off the entire dining area of the restaurant from the bar area b/c it would have cost them 2 or 3x more for the PPV b/c of the seating and patrons allowed in that area. That number of 10% viewership would drastically go down b/c I doubt many bars would be willing to shell out nearly 10,000 to watch it.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The NFL has contracted out the broadcast rights to the Super Bowl for the next ten years to the four major networks.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Is that true though? The bar would just be able to get a 1x10 distribution amplifier and send one cable signal to all the TVs. Most of them are setup like that anyways.

Where you get viewership loss is probably even more people piling into one house or bar to save the cost.

Someone should hide this thread before the NFL gets any ideas (kidding). I think this would be wildly successful because even the most casual fan or not a fan at all would probably buy it as long as it wasn’t $120.

$39.99 to start, get people used to the concept as no one would want to miss the game in general. Get all the ad revenue and slowly build your price up to a normal PPV cost.

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Stuff like this is why I have zero qualms about pirating anything and everything without a shred of conscience. Talk about a truly victimless crime.

I don't think PPV of the SB would ever happen; but if it did, no way would I pay for it. They could all kiss my ass, whoever they is.

UK_Chilts and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the way they could pull off PPV is by offering a tech platform that you don't have access to at home.

What about a 1/8th scale HD fully holographic rendering of the game in the middle of a bar designed to host events just like that for every sport? Maybe also concerts.