Why no love for Cotchery?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin is the man, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Martin is the man

Seriously? Everyone on this board is so concerned about keeping Edwards and Holmes but everyone forgets about Cotch. I've read so many times about how if we let one go we need to go after another free agent. I disagree look at his stats. 3 times in his career he has had over 70 receptions and 4 times has had more then 800 yards receiving. Also keep in mind he was our #1 or 2 WR in 2006-2009. He caught 82 balls for over 1000 yards the year Clements was QB. In Sanchez's first year as the #2 (#1 before the Edwards trade) he caught 57 balls for over 800 yards. I think this guy is legit. I agree that he may not be the fastest, biggest or most talented WR around but he's defiantly good. Look past his terrible game last year against Green Bay and look more closely at his numbers and think of how clutch he has been over the years (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzr1bTPxDzk for example). I think the presence of him makes signing just one of the other guys important. And honestly if Holmes wants to go to the Skins let him, with the money we saved and considering the final four rule (must lose one to get one) go blow that money on another free agent like Lawson or (GOD PLEASE make this happen) Asomugha. I'd go to battle any day with Cotch. I don't know if you agree but I wanted to see if anyone else agrees with me.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Wow in all of this time watching Cotch I didn't realize he was an elite, dynamic receiver just sitting on this team being disrespected.

And with the final four rules which probably won't exist in this new CBA, Holmes would have to be signed to a contract of value that makes it possible to sign Aso. So in short, this team is not getting Aso.

This team is not going to have Nnamdi opposite revis. Its time Jet fans let that dream die. He wants 18 fucking million and he's over 30. Enough already.

Cotch is like Armani Toomer. A fan favorite who's beyond reliable and will play his entire career with one team, but he's just not a top 5 WR who dynamic like Holmes or Edwards.

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Out of left field, a giant block of text.

4. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I don't like Cotchery!

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

What is this garbage? This is a giant block of shit that no one wants to read.

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Cotchery is a dick.

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1) Giant block of text

2) Let's keep the focus on Cotchery and not bring Lawson or Asomugha into this

3) Everyone here LOVES Cotchery. However Edwards and Holmes are just more skilled WRs than him. Heck, out of the 3 he is my favourite but if I had to chose in a perfect world (with no salary cap) I'd go with Holmes + Edwards.

4) That said we're not in a perfect world and there will be a salary cap so, especially if it's low Cotchery + Holmes/Edwards might be the best way to go. I'm certainly not in favour of keeping all three unless Tanny amazes us with some cap number magic.
    (with the system we run I'd prefer to spend money on other positions before having 20 mill invested on 3 WRs, if we were the Packers I'd have a diferent opinion).

5) Cotchery just had a hernia this season and is approaching the 30 mark... two things which can be VERY bad for a football player.

#7 Mambo9, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  8. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

everybody loves cotchery...da fuck are you talking about?

9. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i agree to a point.i really don't think there is a losing situation here.it's either edwards/holmes and cromartie being signed or edwards and holmes and no cromartie.so we are either going to have one of the best wr corps and a little thin at cb or vice versa.ftr i'd rather be thin at cb since rex can scheme around that.

11. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

You mean the guy who is already under contract? Yea, I don't know why his name doesn't come up more often when we're talking about free agents, either.

12. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Well, he's just the type of player who goes underappreciated. And let's face it: there's not much reason to talk about him right now, and his season last year was disappointing.

That said, it's not the end of the world if we lose Holmes or Edwards. There's also Ochocinco and Moss out there who are gamebreaking receivers potentially. Schottenheimer likes to use a lot of different looks, and Cotchery's a great part of that.

Remember, we had no 4th receiver last year really. Last year, we were very top-heavy at WR, but they didn't get hurt, so we were fine. Cotchery's role on this team is as a #2/#3 receiver, and that's fine. He can definitely be a #2 receiver if he has to be.

13. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I don't want to pile on but what is the point of this thread?

14. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

J-Co is an O.G. What crack you been smoking killa ?

15. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Cotchery is too unreliable to be the #2 receiver.

It hurts to say that, but J-Co's just plain injury prone.

He had a lingering shoulder injury in early 2007 and then index finger surgery later that season. A shrewd player would've sat out the rest of that abysmal campaign; Cotchery missed two weeks.

Shoulder again in 2008; never missed a start. He had the bad hammy in 2009, but chose not to sit out against the Dolphins on MNF.

Tore his groin last year before making a spectacular first down catch. Pulled his hamstring in the AFCCG, but came back after a couple of series. He also seems to have played through a herniated disc the entire season. Never missed a game.

He's done substantial damage to his body, his career and his earning potential and he's done it without even a fucking whisper, just because. Jets fans can't rely on Cotchery to stay healthy, but he sure as shit can rely on all the love Jets fans have to offer.

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I don't think theres anyone on this board that does not rate Cotch and what he brings to the team.
    You still don't know who Clemens is.

17. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

[YOUTUBE]cwwpoQFIdIc[/YOUTUBE]

18. NickD

NickD New Member

Cotchery had an off year, but that was due to injury. He believes he is making great progress with his health, but the coaching staff would be smart to secure two vets as the 1 and 2/3 receivers putting Cotchery as a 3/2 with two young receivers behind him. Holmes is a clear 1. Edwards is a 1/2. Both are nice and it showed last season as we were able to turn on the passing offense late in games and secure wins. However, to run our offense both are not needed. If Cotchery fully recovers, then our passing offense will only be better. If he turns out another off year, then having Cotchery in the third spot or rotational two would have been a smart, safe play.

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

If one more Jet fan brings up Aso I will shoot wildly at my monitor in hopes that it reaches you somehow.

It's straight up retarded to think the Jets will sign Aso, it's not going to happen.

20. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Weren't people calling him Droppery at points last season?