Why is Darnold getting a pass?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by All Gas No Shake, Apr 4, 2018.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

darnold and mayfield both ran spread offenses for power house programs with elite play makers at their disposal. they also both played in conferences that, in recent history, have largely had poor defenses.

but mayfield is constantly knocked for things like not playing in a pro-style system, having wide open targets, and facing sub-par defenses, while darnold seemingly gets a pass. why is that?

NYJetsO12 and JohnnyJet1222 like this.
  2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Because he is taller and the Penn State game. Mayfield is also easy to hate. Darnold, not so much.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

4. The spread system at USC is different that that of Oklahoma.Oklahoma schemes its WRs open..don’t see as much of that in USC’s scheme. I’ve seen Darnold go through more progressions than that of Mayfiekd & have seen more NFL throws

To be fair they both get wide open targets..so it’s definitely worth discussing.

I think Darnold is still maturing physically while Mayfield other than maybe bulking up doesn’t have the same upsude

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If you watched USC last year, the O-line was pathetic. Watching Darnold create when his pocket was destroyed was impressive to see. Overall, it was a pretty bad offense that he carried. Oklahoma, on the other hand, everything ran really smooth and easy for Mayfield. He was still impressive though, of course.

JetBlue, 101GangGreen101, joe and 2 others like this.
  6. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

USCs O-line got decimated with injuries last year. He did way better than I thought he would do.

LF911SC, nyjetsmets89 and joe like this.
  7. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

its measurables and personality tbh even tho i do belive thats very relevant i would take him # 1 ( Darnold ) with eyes closed

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The eye test,plain and simple

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Because he was over hyped last year and the "experts" are slowly back peddling. By draft day they will likely be changing their opinions. Happens every year.

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I think the Jets should call up Ricky Ray. This is just stupid already.

11. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

Ball placement

12. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

Simple Darnold is a god, we all know this already. Get out of jail free card.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

USC's offense was much closer to pro-style than Oklahoma's. Put Mayfield on USC and he doesn't put up the same stats he did for Oklahoma. Mayfield's also short and has character concerns.

14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Darnold can be great. He does need time to develop though. If he starts day 1 he will get ruined. He can play sloppy at times that leads to turnovers and that is at the college level. At the pro level that will determine his career.

Mayfield is a gamer that can make accurate throws. Is that enough? Maybe, maybe not. He is the most likely to bust out of the 5 top QBs, just based on the college system he ran and his physical limitations.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Darnold would kick the living piss out of Mayfield in a fight.

16. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Darnold ans Rosen are incredibly young. Keep in mind that Mayfield has a full two years of development over those guys.

Wentz was three years older than those guys when he was drafted.

LF911SC likes this.
  17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Who has worse hair?

Fold for Darnold! I was getting such major headaches over that, I almost overdosed on Excedrin! In fact, it was borderline migraine territory! Look what happened to Blaine Gabbert! If he had gotten a crew cut and didn't try to look like Ken a Stabler wanna be, we wouldn't even be having this discussion! Shave, clean yourself up, and get a job!

Rosen has a pretty decent Jewish nose! Watch the Jets screw it up and offer him a yarmulke with some paper clips to keep it on! To the the tune of 80 gazillion dollars!

-Signed,
    Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

#17 jetophile, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Penning10 likes this.
  18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I said it yesterday. I want Rosen or Mayfield. If both are there at 3, but Darnold somehow is also... it gets tricky.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  19. Ahh...IDK...Mayfield would certainly go for the crotch & the height differential works to his advantage within that ploy

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because he's the fair-haired darling of the media. His was the great story of saving USC's season in 2016. He's the one that has gotten most of the hype. Hopefully, teams ahead of the Jets bought into the hype and will take the fraud.

Leicester Jet likes this.