Why do fans say keeping Bowles is the same old Jets way of doing things?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

The title says it all. I am no fan of Bowles and I am losing patience with Mac, but why is this case similar to previous regimes? I think the same old Jets way would have been to fire Bowles this year, not retain him. A recent example was us firing Idzik after 2 years and going farther back further, we fired Mangini after a late season collapse in 2008. I have read that Woody has flip flopped on his coaching commitments in the past and given into pressure to fire the head coach.

This time around it seems different. The league respects Bowles and Woody has bought into their vision moving forward. Good teams don't fire their coach after one bad season. Even if we did, what kind of self respecting coach would want to come coach here if we don't give anyone a chance? NY is not a desirable place to coach to begin with and we would likely become the next Browns.While I understand the anger at who they kept here, I do not get the anger at the decision making.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Because anything the Jets do that you don't like is same old Jets.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Same Old Jets is finding new ways to lose embarrassingly.

There's no trend in Same Old Jets but the number in the L column.

4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The decision to hire Bowles and Macc was actually very un-Jets like, the results thus far have been very Same Old Jets like unfortunately.

dogg and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Because we can't find a franchise qb and we wont ever win without one.

Bill Belichdouche, dogg and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Call it what you'd like, but Mac and Bowles probably should have been fired already. 5-11 simply is not acceptable under any circumstances.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

We have never hit 16 thus far. I am counting my days till that magical day comes.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ill keep defending Mac but sticking to my argument that the HC and CS will ruin things

MM is far from great but got us plenty of good talent...enough for a decent Coach to use judiciously but of course Bowles is a fake

Can anyone tell me who in the League respectsTB?

9. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Because of the way 2016 played out. Numerous games where the game plan was crap and no in-game adjustments were made.
    Multiple games where it looked like the team just quit on Bowles.
    My personal tipping point was the MNF game w/ the Colts. That was a horrible embarrassment to this franchise. If I was the owner, Bowles would have been fired after that game.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This is why we are the SOL Jets. We raise our coaches to unrealistic expectations when we have success and crucify them during tough times. That is what bad franchises due and what we all the time. We do the same with the QB no matter who QB's the jets there will be a very vocal opposition to them. (Makes it tough to play here)

Macc and Bowles have had mixed success but we this blew up after week one. The problem was not Bowles or Gailey (We should have kept him) but injuries. That is the story in most successful NFL seasons. Stay healthy have a chance to make the playoffs do not stay healthy no chance. Add that to the decline of certain players (Mo and Revis) you are set-up for a bad year.

We want to get rid of players and coaches in the hope we find somebody better. Good teams keep players and coaches until they have somebody better. Fitz is bad but Hack and Petty are worse in this stage of their careers.

Now what, at QB we have options you can judge if they are any good. 1. Run with young guys currently on the roster and roll with them and see what we got. 2. Bring in a stop gap (Don't expect much better than Fitz unless you get Romo) 3. Trade or sign for a guy you think can be the franchise guy. 4. Draft another QB high in the draft and start them.

Every single one these options will draw vocal criticism on these boards and the firing of Bowles but none will really be his fault. We may get lucky and one these options work but there will still be vocal criticism.

This team is not devoid of talent. We shore up the OL the team has very good receiving core and good running backs. The problem is no QB.

MoWilkBeast and JCLA like this.
  11. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

First off - I had no "unreasonable" expectations of the 2016 Jets - I thought at best 8-8 given the strength of schedule
    [LINK]]http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/1...ctions/?do=findComment&comment=3148836[/LINK]

Injuries were the cause of our record? Give me a break, every NFL team has injuries. That's a loser excuse.

I just wanted to see growth in our younger players (mostly QBS) and how the coaching staff would deal with adversity -
    Bowles and his staff failed miserably at both.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Cimini wrote a piece today saying this year's defense compares with the worst in Jets history, 1996. That should say it all as this wannabe coach is probably responsible for it. And that was supposed to be the high point for this team. It is pathetic that he still has a job or Maccagnan too.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66313/66313

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The w/l record is one thing....it's the way we got there that's most troubling.

This team needs a high colonic...stat.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

To begin with, the "SOJ" imo refers to the team continually being inept at about everything, making bad hires, poor decisions, etc. That begins and ends with the owner. Until we have an owner that either understands the game, or realizes his lack of understanding, quits being a dilettante, and hires a football man to run the team, more than likely, we will continue to be the SOJ.

Bradway was fired then kept on for another 8-10 years. Tannenbaum, who was an attorney and bean counter, was hired as GM and he had no eye for talent. Woody has hired 2-3 team Presidents and every single one of them has been a marketing and sales guy rather than a football guy.

It isn't just that the Jets lost 11 games this year, it's how they lost those 11 games. Bowles appears to have regressed, not progressed. The team look unprepared, and continually beat itself with mental errors, lousy execution and sloppy play. Bowles seemed to have no answers and an inability to fix things either during games or from game to game. The locker room was divided and Bowles appears to have lost the team. That's why the "SOJ" cries apply. We saw the same crap under Walton, Coslet, Kotite, Carroll, Groh, and Rex. Bowles showed little or no reason why anyone could reasonably expect things to be different or better next season..

Using the firing of Idzik as an example of a bad move is a poor example to try to prove your point. Idzik was HORRIBLE. He never should have been hired in the first place. This situation was solely brought about by Woody. A number of GM candidates turned him down flat, wouldn't even interview, because he insisted on forcing Rex upon them. He got the job because he was one of the few who were willing to take it under the circumstances. He could have stayed here 30 years and things would never have gotten better. The truth is, the team could never have survived another one or two of his off seasons. He was slow and plodding in decision making. He had no eye for talent. His drafts could have set the team up for great success for the next 5-10 seasons, and instead were an unmitigated disaster. His supposed strength was administration, and reports were that the FO was in turmoil and a lot of team employees were in an uproar because of his personality and management style. Simply put, he was flat out incompetent. For you or anyone to claim that he was fired too soon is absurd. If firing Idzik was such a bad, impatient, unjust move, another team would have rushed to hire him and we would be hearing his name in a positive light. That hasn't happened!

Mangini wasn't fired for the late season collapse. He was fired because he had lost the team and because he was too secretive, and wouldn't let Woody in on his plans. It was Mangini's own paranoia and stubbornness that got him fired, not impatience on Woody's part, or some kind of injustice.

I also disagree with your notion that "Good teams don't fire their coach after one bad season." People make mistakes, and sometimes it's better to admit you made a mistake, cut your losses, and move on. Stability doesn't come from just inertia and keeping the same people in place and expecting a different result. Stability comes from having the right people in place in leadership and then giving them time to do their job. In football it also comes from keeping the same systems in place.

The idea that the Jets have continually fired their HCs or GMs after one or two years is a myth. The Jets haven't sucked because they have fired their HCs or GMs. They've sucked because we've had clueless owners who made poor hiring decisions initially, continually hiring first-time HCS, and because when their replacements were hired, the offensive and/or defensive systems continually changed, which resulted in a continual turnover of the roster. That's where an owner who understood the game or had a knowledgeable, experienced football man running the team wouldn't have made the mistake of hiring a new HC who wanted to completely change the offensive or defensive system. He would have adapted his system to fit the team's personnel and talent.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's quite an assumption. Please inform us how you came to the conclusion bolded above.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What are those expectations? And should we have any expectations at all when things are going poorly? Should we not expect a game plan that works? Should we not expect good clock management? What about good use of challenges and penalty management? Shouldn't we see adjustments made during games? Have we seen the right players in the game at the right time and their being ready to contribute?

I say these are perfectly reasonable expectations and none of these expectations are being met. I see nothing to indicate a change is in the wind.

xxedge72x and No Fly Zone like this.
  17. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Ralebird you nailed the problems by the numbers. Good incite and post.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am out of pocket for teh most part next week
    Of course you are the expert on all of that? This is year two he had a ton of injuries and a tough schedule and players that did not perform as expected and still won 5 games. What we hope to expect to see is more wins in 2018 or a trajectory of winning. We crucify the coaches after each loss or win the collective is what matters.

It is a no win in this forum. Remember the tank threads? Then we we get blown out by the colts and you would think people would be happy (tanking for a draft pick) nope, the coaches and players get crucified.

There will always be a vocal crowd that is not happy, same or different people it does not matter.

In my opinion Hackenburg was a stretch in round 2, but if he hits will be a brilliant pick. I think o-line needs upgrading and a QB (of course). The decline of Revis and MO killed our defense. Hopefully Mo returns Revis looks done (more mentally than physically IMO).

Lets be honest the play at the QB position will determine how this team does and how Bowels is perceived as a coach. With a new OC most likely a QB not yet on the roster we will not know.

19. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I do not agree with keeping Bowles. IMO, he just doesn't show any of the tell tale signs of being a truly great coach. All season with the wheels falling off, he just never made any substitutions? If he were truly a Parcells guy, he would have never tolerated all of the problems with this team.

20. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I'd take it a step further, he doesn't show any signs of being a competent coach, forget great.