Why didn’t Joe Douglas Pull the Trigger on DeAndre Hopkins?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Apr 3, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

What did the Texans want from the trade?
    -Draft Picks
    -To get rid of Hopkins
    -A Running Back

Why could Joe D not beat the Cardinals offer?
    -Arizona’s 2nd Round pick is 8 picks higher than the Jets’.
    -David Johnson carries cap hits of $11.15mm and $9mm for 2020 and 2021 respectively. Johnson can also be cut after 2020 for $2.1mm in dead cap if necessary.
    -Le’Veon Bell carries cap hits of $13.5mm and $11.5mm for 2020 and 2021 respectively. I believe he could have been cut by the Texans after 1 year for no dead money. But I don’t think cutting them is what they want.
    -The Cardinals move Hopkins out of the AFC.

As you can see The Jets would have had to offer their 1st rounder or their second rounder plus additional picks. That is too much for the Jets, who have a lot of needs.

2. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

We can't afford to give up ANY picks unless it's a ridiculous value and for a younger player. The reason we are in this mess to begin with is we are always on the short end of the stick with how many picks we have and draft leverage. We need to accumulate more picks.

Mayock has been doing an amazing job of this in Oakland. You do this by being a good negotiator and not offering your midround picks in trades.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

This is the Jets...we dont do the obvious things to make the team better.We always have to try and be the smartest guy in the room who ends up making the dumbest decisions.And maybe they didnt want to trade him to another AFC team.

IDFjet likes this.
  4. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

no.... we need to draft our own Hopkins THIS YEAR... will be cost controlled for 5 years and even then still younger than hopkins.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

With our history of hitting on draft picks IMHO Hopkins being a proven player would have been a far better option IMHO then crap shooting draft choices :mad:

BradysTornACL likes this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nice analysis. The Jets can ill afford to give up picks, especially when for once we have a GM that knows a little something about players and managing growth thru the draft. Particularly since the Jets have a hell of a lot of holes.
    While Hopkins is an amazing WR, the move would have only been the obvious thing to do if we didn't weaken our draft even more in the process. Have we not fucked that up enough over the last few years? All the high price help we got has done very little so far, be it because the nucleus is weak across the board or because some were a total wast of money and time. Read TJ, Osemele, and even Bell behind our putrid OL. We need a bunch of solid players much more than a super star or two.
    We have been dismal in our ability to develop a competitive talent base and we need draft choices put to good use to do so.. We can draft a top WR this year without having to trade fuck all, may be not of that exact caliber, but better than anything we have had on this team in years and years.
    The last thing we want is to trade draft picks away, instead,what we need is to make every one count for a change in lieu of pissing them away on experiments and positions of zero need.

#6 LAJet, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

So true--the Hackenberg pick was an exemplar of this. NYJ FO were the only ones to see how great he could be--no one else had the smarts to see it.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Jets fans have become conditioned to expect the worst from draft picks that they're willing to give up picks for players. That's what Tanny did years and it's partially responsible for playoff drought we're currently in. We have no idea what the Texans wanted from the Jets for Nuk. We need our own Nuk, who can play with Sam for the next 5-10 years like Peyton to Harrison/Wayne and Ryan to Jones.

9. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I don't think the Texans were trading him in the conference if they could help it.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

History is just that history, there is a new man in charge of the draft picking process this season, so the last 10 years means absolutely nothing.

Hopkins at 27yo and rich could very well be on the downgrade from here on in, he has been a quality player without a doubt but this is going to be his 9th season and first away from Houston, a lot of things could go wrong at a high price to pay.

11. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

It will be his 8th season. Not 9th. And 27 is his prime. He will have 3 solid years minimum. Could play 5+ more at a decent level. But I agree we should look for younger receivers that can play for 10 years with Darnold.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Douglas does not strike me as someone keen to give away picks, especially at this stage of the rebuild.

He seems more like someone that will be more likely to stockpile picks and I’m pretty confident the Jets will be fully stocked with picks during his tenure.

For someone who loves the draft like I do, I’m pretty excited about this.

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I must have caught the 9 and not the 8 apologies

We will see moving forward if he is in his prime or not, he could be like his new WR2 Fitzgerald who just keeps on going but that guy really is an anomaly and truly amazing longevity in top class sport.

14. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Because we have a real GM running the show now. If it was still Mike McGagOn he would of given up two firsts for him.

15. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I'm excited about this as well! The good teams all do it this way consistently.

There are exceptions with free agency: I don't know how the Pats let Trent Brown go, but the Raiders did well giving him a big contract as a franchise LT. Franchise pass rushers, LT's and QB's deserve big contracts because of supply and demand. When you find them you pay them.

16. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Roseman the GM of the Eagles did a interview saying that Houston valued certain players more then most...my guess is O'Brien valued Johnson more then anyone else in the league did...so the price woulda been higher then you think.

17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I think the Texans did the trade much like Gettleman did the OBJ trade.

They kept it under wrap intentionally didn't try to get the best deal for him. They sent him where they wanted to send him.

I never heard a rumor he was available before the trade happened.