Why did we pass on Jean-Gilles?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOZ, May 4, 2006.

1. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I am a little confused here. This guy was originally projected as a late first, early 2nd round prospect. The one and only knock I have heard on the guy is that his weight is a concern, which might go against the type of athletic line Mangini is looking to put together.

Nonetheless, the guy was pretty well regarded in college, and an absolute beast in the G position, actually about the size of some premier RT's.

Into the 3rd we go, the LB I agree with but picking our safety at end of the 3rd seemed like a bit of a reach for me.

If you're on the clock, knowing that we are razor thin for depth purposes in the G spot, do you take a chance on this guy, knowing that he's already go the credentials and certainly the frame to be a pretty decent guard, or do you stick with the original plan and go for the guy who seems to need alot more in the way of development?

Thoughts?

#1 KOZ, May 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2005
  2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

^Fat out of shape guys with a slow motor aren't going to be drafted by the NY JETS.

3. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

The only conclusion I can come to is that they're looking for more athletic linemen. Could also be that they felt two high picks on the O-line was enough attention for this draft. They'll probably just go with Moore and Kendall, or a late cut, and address G next year if necessary.

4. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

basicaly...coaches told this guy he need to lose wieght. his response if im playing fine at the weight i am why do i need to lose wieght..

this guy wouldnt have been a jet even if he went undrafted.

5. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I think that they got 2 lineman and didn't want to use any more picks on them. We have certainly upgraded our offensive line, but the Jets don't want to put an entire line of rookies out there. Kendall is fine at guard and so is Moore. Unlike AJ, they have actually shown they can be part of a good line.

6. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Obviously there is a reason why he didn't go in the 2nd round as many expected. If he's really that good than someone would have taken him earlier.

7. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

[​IMG]

none of the offensive lineman we draft or signed in FA. look like that. guy looks like 2 D bricks

8. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

teams dont want lineman with weight problems...they seen what happen to Toniu Fonoti a few years ago when he came out of ohio st and went to the chargers. the guy cant even pass physical now.

9. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

he was rated high for a reason, taking a chance on him with a mid round pick would have been worth the risk. If it doesn't pan with middle round picks no one cares.

10. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Ahah- hadn't heard that comment, which I am sure drove home to alot of FO's exactly what they would be dealing with before the guy came onboard.

The guy really shot himself in the foot with an attitude like that. If the guy had indicated his willingness to do what it took and be part of the program, maybe his stock wouldn't have dropped so far.

He's just beyond large in the picture posted above...

11. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Plus he's a dumbass. Weight problems + Stupidity = Not a Jet.

12. dclark26

dclark26 New Member

Winston, I am a GA native and have watched Max Jean's progression closely for three seasons. While he is rather beefy, he will be an outstanding offensive line inside anchor for years to come. He was the top projected offensive guard in the draft. When he slipped to day two I was absolutley shocked. I figured he would atleast be snagged by end of round two or three at the least. I think he could have contributed to the new Jet o line. If we coulda snagged him in the third or fourth he would have been cheap and a steal.

13. S+M=S Giants

S+M=S Giants New Member

Watch him be a stud on the egurls. Stupid team is going to have a good oline with Shane Andrews, Max jean-Gilles, and Winston Justice as their young guys. :eaglessuck:

14. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

they need to. shawn andrews is a beast ..yes

but thomas and runyan are getting old. so them just like us have to rebuild. the oline.

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He might be but the Jets are trying to build a new culture right now and Giles doesn't fit in. If we allready had a locker room in place that could make a guy like Giles conform they might have taken him.

16. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I never thought Jean-Gilles would sniff the second round. He actually went about five picks earlier than I saw him going.

When a guy shows up to the Combine weighing 347 and runs a 5.47, you have to wonder what is ever going to motivate the guy. A man of Jean-Gilles size had every incentive to get himself in shape and he comes in and performs like that?

The more valuable offensive lineman are the guys that can play in space. A strong, athletic lower body is just as important as a fat upper body. On any given run play, the guy who is quickest off the snap and the guys who can get out in front serve more purposes than some fatty who can only win at the point of attack and will wear down due to lack of conditioning as the season wears on. Coincidentally, the two teams that run the Denver style run-blocking scheme, the Falcons and the Broncos, are at the top of the league in rushing, and neither has an oversized offensive line.

-X-

17. dclark26

dclark26 New Member

I agree to a certain extent. I feel tackles should and centers should be more athletic and "space players" too. But when it comes to offensive guard vs a defensive tackle (keep in mind most d tackles, especially if double teamed, are told to "make a pile") being a chubby fat a** is ok, as long as you can go 60 minutes. Alot of highly touted d tackles are just fat lard butts too, but it seems like that is acceptable, maybe its because there is more roation on the d line during a game. O guards that can flop on a tackle and make a seem inside are ok w/ me.

18. S+M=S Giants

S+M=S Giants New Member

Yeah and also upgraded their dline with Patterson, Bunkely, howard and Kearse. Looks like they seem to be trying to incorporated the dominate the trenches mentality.

19. MANGINI RULES!

MANGINI RULES! New Member

Is very clear to me that Gilles is not a Mangini type of player he does not fit our program... Mangini wants football 1st guys and this guy doesnt fit the bill...

#19 MANGINI RULES!, May 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2005
  20. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

How about this? Jay Cutler out benched him by a mile. If you want to be an effective guard you can't just be a big pile of lard. There has to be muscle underneath that bulk. He certainly fits the description of "tub o' lard".

There was a reason he went in the 4th round and I am glad we passed.